Note to New Members ×

Crystal Mt carver wanted to follow down hill.

1xsculler

I go to Crystal Tuesdays and Fridays and I would like to find someone who can lay out non-skid, high angle, board bending, linked up, speed controlling carves so I can try to learn from them. It's tough just doing it all by ones self and you're never really sure where you fall on the spectrum.

Hey coming up this week thrusday to saturday and ride hardboots .  Will bring my coiler along for groomers but hoping for powder !   Renting a house with a bunch of my coworker nurse friends till saturday . Text me if you go .. 503 nine nine 7 78 six 3 

• 2 weeks later...

PO6781:  Your pics pretty much showed what I experienced last Tuesday. I skipped yesterday, Monday Jan. 29, and was glad I did. Today, Tuesday, was probably the best day I've ever seen at Crystal, i.e. 12" of 25* snow covering the entire area.  No grooming so no progress on carving but I had a ball on my hard boots and 162 Axxess so long as I stayed in the slightly chopped-up pow.  I ventured into the untracked 12" stuff several times but had such a hard time getting up when I fell that I went back to the partially carved up to finally burn my quads out before driving home about noon.

Even though I'm totally devoted to get my carve down on groomers I think I will at least bring my skis along for future trips in case I get more conditions like today.  Dropping into Powder Bowl, and running the gondola top to bottom, i.e.  Ice Berg Gulch and whatever is above and below it would have been heavenly for me today on skis.

Since I never really learned to snowboard, i.e. one morning on Discovery and the afternoon on Forest Queen in rented softies  then bought carving gear I have a hard time in pow.  I did go heli-boarding/skiing in the North Cascades once and used my SX91 skiboots on a 159 extremley wide board and did ok though.

Edited by 1xsculler

Bob,

Get anybody to snap a few pictures while you are riding.  You need to see how your body is aligning versus what you think you are doing.  Others here can chime in as well with suggestions after you post them up.  Simply following another may not help in that you will be watching them rather than paying attention to what you need to be doing.  

Where are you looking?   Where are your hands, hips and shoulders in relationship to the direction of the turn?  Watching the rider in front of you may cause you to look down the fall one and away from the direction of your turn.  Photos or video will help, study them and compare.  Implement corrections suggested then repeat the photo process to see your progression.

Example 

Edited by Pat Donnelly
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

Keenan,

Any chance you'll be at Crystal, or any other local area, this coming Friday or any Tuesday or Friday coming up?

Tuesdays and Fridays are good for me but I moved to Oregon so Crystal won't be happening this year.  Once it shuts down maybe you can come ride Timberline some time in the spring.

Bob,

If you are willing to pay for a lesson, contact Gavin at http://www.snowperformance.com/.  He used to work for C.M. and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Or, go to the C.M. ski school and ask for Greg Dixon (supervisor), tell him that you want a lesson from someone that understands carving like Keenan Hall.  He can ride or ski any equipment and might be able to help as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Bob, come ride Bachelor on April 3-7! I'm heading out for most of that time, Keenan will be there that whole time, and Mark from Thirst Snowboards is going to be there, I believe with some demos, and some other Schweitzer locals are coming out as well. Any chance you can make it out there? It will be a great opportunity to see other carvers and talk about carving. 

19 hours ago, Dan said:

Bob, come ride Bachelor on April 3-7! I'm heading out for most of that time, Keenan will be there that whole time, and Mark from Thirst Snowboards is going to be there, I believe with some demos, and some other Schweitzer locals are coming out as well. Any chance you can make it out there? It will be a great opportunity to see other carvers and talk about carving. 

Appreciate the info.  My daughter may have us booked to somewhere in the Bahamas during those dates for a family vacation with her and her family.   Andros Island where my son-in-law and their boys love to Bonefish.

I will keep it in mind.

Thanks again.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was at Crystal today.  Arrived early and was in the third Gondola up.

At open it was cRuNChY! But once the sun hit the slopes for awhile... It was awesome. Started on the NFCB then went to the lil' Coiler for the rest of the day.

Rode all the lifts and did some exploring.

Upper Arwine's was really fun... The long cat track to Lucky Shot was less than fun. I actually took the Sunnyside(?) bumps and ungroomed a couple of times for a more direct shot.  

It's another PNW mountain.  Since they are all volcanic in origin the mountains are young so they've not had the time to be shaped.  What I mean is that you can turn a corner and face a fairly drastic change in pitch.  Sure keeps it interesting.

Saw a guy carving a softboot Kessler but I couldn't keep up. It was early and I had no idea what was after the next rise... He knew. Zooom.

Tt6zBnw.jpg

It was a beautiful day. I'm beat.

Edited by lonbordin
Muh quads are toast.

My schedule changed so I was at Crystal yesterday as well. It's usually pretty easy to spot a hardbooter at Crystal since are very few but I did not see you. I was on the Kessler and rode from 1st chair at 8:30 until noon. Had obligations in the PM. You are right, once the sun hit it was pretty good! Its only my 2nd season at Crystal, coming from Stevens pass for 27 years but its really a killer MT. Whether its good groomers or steep pow runs in bounds or backcountry there is something for everybody just about everyday! Glad you were able to get a good day in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Waboarder said:

My schedule changed so I was at Crystal yesterday as well. It's usually pretty easy to spot a hardbooter at Crystal since are very few but I did not see you. I was on the Kessler and rode from 1st chair at 8:30 until noon. Had obligations in the PM. You are right, once the sun hit it was pretty good! Its only my 2nd season at Crystal, coming from Stevens pass for 27 years but its really a killer MT. Whether its good groomers or steep pow runs in bounds or backcountry there is something for everybody just about everyday! Glad you were able to get a good day in.

LOL... There was one time on Lucky Shot after it ends being a cat track and the trees end on the right... I was ahead of you and saw you upslope so I pulled over to the right waved and yelled, "Hey Kessler!"  You went flying by and I couldn't catch up... I did try.  Finish those turns man! 😉

Edited by lonbordin
I'd say Crystal is an awesome MT!
  • Like 1