Note to New Members ×

Heard in the lift line - 2017/2018

Corey

We're on the chair with a mom and kid. She points out that we have carving boards to her son, which prompted a discussion. She mentioned that her husband used to race snowboards.

Mario: "What's his name?"

"Chris Klug."

Me: "Yeah, we've heard of him!"

She was super nice. :)

• Like 8

8 hours ago, st_lupo said:

The best I've heard this year was today: "..."

There was nobody in the lift line and for about the first hour today (with a cloudless sky and beaming sun) it was virtually my private mountain.  Is this what retirement is like?  If so, sign me the hell up!

Or you are at June Mountain :biggthump

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OMG!  - THIS GIVES ME HOPE!!!

Out for 1st day on my new Coiler EC SS 177 at Heavenly   (Yes - it just looks like pure sex and speed!    Thanks Bruce!) ........... Twice on the lift and Once in the lift line people pointed or called me out as  - "He's an Alpine Snowboarder - like on TV last night" and  "he's an Alpine Rider like those Olympic snowboard Racers "!!   ........and "Hey!  your riding one of those racing snowboards!"   Without a doubt,  never been so proud!  and totally Made My Day  :biggthump

THANK YOU ESTER and NEVIN!!!   :1luvu:

• Like 3

So I am on the lift having a conversation with a gentleman who is on skis and was about halfway up when he notices what I am on (a 180 rev with a bomber bp and TD3 SW step-ins). So I explain to him the sport and briefly its history and right when I am explaining to him the experience of the edge hold I say "look right there at that line that's mine" as we are going over one of my deepest carves of my past run to which he says "That's no line! That's a trench!". It made me chuckle and feel so accomplished. I love getting to ride weekdays without the crowds :biggthump

• Like 1

Not "heard", and not lift line. But I am certain y'all are familiar with the demo effect: You ride at your local hill, you spot one of those rare birds - another carver. Time to really give it your best shot. Time to carve that hill up as hard as you can. Time to - wipe out in spectacular fashion as the demo effect kicks in.

Yesterday I was at the receiving end of the phenomenon, and I have to admit it made me grin. :ices_ange

Edited by Aracan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Riding plates on a powder day with a local buddy: I was on a 4807, he was on a 3800 with a matching topsheet. Guy in the liftline takes a long look at our boards, looks up and says "Are those your personal boards?"

LOL - well, we didn't check them out from the snowboard museum if that's what you're thinking...

• Like 1

On 2/7/2018 at 9:25 PM, Corey said:

We're on the chair with a mom and kid. She points out that we have carving boards to her son, which prompted a discussion. She mentioned that her husband used to race snowboards.

Mario: "What's his name?"

"Chris Klug."

Me: "Yeah, we've heard of him!"

She was super nice. :)

Met him at SES 2005, very nice guy.  He also gave me a great interview here after the 2002 Olympics.  Hopefully it's still in the archives, it's not up on the site anymore.

This reminds me of the time he won a televised race back then.  IIRC it was part of the Jeep King of the Mountain series. I forget what the race format was actually called, but I thought of it as "Super-Y" - the top half was a PGS and then both courses funneled into a BX.  Pretty sure Klug beat JJA in the final, and then Picabo Street interviewed Klug after the win.  She was super impressed with him.  I thought she was going to lick his face or wrap a leg around him right on TV.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Third time this year up at Mt Hood Meadows, I swear if I have this conversation a fourth time I’m going to lose it:

them: Is that a ski board?

me: it’s called an alpine snowboard, or sometimes a carving board.

them: No. That’s a ski board!

At that point I just smile and leave; never argue with an idiot, people watching won’t be able to tell who’s who.

• Like 1

This one was yesterday with a new guy trying out hardboots For the first time yesterday:

Me (pointing and waving):  Hey what is that thing on your feet?

Guy: ???

Me (trying to keep a straight face):  Did you loose one ski?  Do you need help?

Guy (looking at my board): ??!???!

Me: Hey!  Welcome aboard. Hope you're having fun!  Check out bomberonline.com for tons of great tips and maybe I'll see you back up here next weekend!

• Like 1

Parking  lot attendant at the start of the day: Hmmmm, you've got one of those skinny boards...you're going to mess up the runs, aren't you?

Liftie, same day: What size are your boots, because if they were 10.5 I'd beat you up and steal your boots and board...those things look fun!!!

Same parking lot attendant at the end of the day: Done messing up the runs and leaving 6 inch trenches?  You know, I sure like watching you guys, but I can't stand skiing where you've been.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jburk said:

Third time this year up at Mt Hood Meadows, I swear if I have this conversation a fourth time I’m going to lose it:

them: Is that a ski board?

me: it’s called an alpine snowboard, or sometimes a carving board.

them: No. That’s a ski board!

At that point I just smile and leave; never argue with an idiot, people watching won’t be able to tell who’s who.

Got something similar the other day.  Heard a couple of kids in the queue talking about my setup:

Kid 1: Woah. Do you know what that is?

Kid 2: No, what is it?

K1: That guys on a skiboard!

K2: Woah.  Is that cool?'

K1: Nah, it's lame.

:(

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spent 3 days at Jackson this week, nary another hardbooter in sight the entire time....until late on the third day...I’m lining up to single my way onto the uncrowded Thunder quad when at the last second a firm hand lands on my shoulder and a voice with a hint of a German accent says “Ahh, another purist!”   Head boots....check, F2 board....check, step-ins....check.  

We had a great chat on the way up and then went on our merry way.  I go out west once a year and never fail to meet at least one of the tribe, BOL’er or otherwise. 

• Like 3