Note to New Members ×

Heard in the lift line - 2017/2018

Corey

I couldn't find this season's version of this thread.  

At Nakiska Expression Session this past Saturday: "Oh f##k, carvers!" - said by a ski racer kid as he saw Riceball zig-zagging down slope from him.  

Later the same day we were stopped near a lift tower waiting for Riceball to show up. He proceeds to do a 290-degree carve that circled the entire group, ending in a high five with me.  That got a round of applause and cheers from the lift, including the ski race coaches!  

• Like 6

"Oh f##k, carvers!" - said by a ski racer kid  (Corey)

I've heard that a few times from the ski race kids.  I've heard their coaches use me, and my trenches, as an example of what a solid carve looks like. One coach on the chair asked if I was disappointed if I didn't "rail" every turn on a run...

Of course I replied yes.

• Like 1

Jeez, at least that's not a monoski. (From one of the parents in the local ski racing team)

Carving is great! I soo wanna be able to do what you do, but just on skis.

And then in reference to carving boards being like the Ferraris of snowboards, another snowboarder replied: Ferraris are shit cars, mate.

• Like 1

Another I just remembered from Nakiska: Mom and Dad telling their kid to hurry up to the top of a steeper pitch, "so he could watch these guys."  (us)  We had a nice conversation with them saying that they loved watching all the carvers zig-zag down the hill while getting so low.  

• Like 2

I love this thread, and was wondering what had happened to it. Saturday I had a lifty look down at my gear as I approached the "wait here" line, then grab my arm while she was asking if I needed help getting on the lift like I was an elderly citizen crossing the street with a walker.  I was stunned.. and all I could say was "seriously"?

My only solace was that my new chairmate said, "yeah, it was a little suprising that she thought a guy on a carving board would need help getting on the chair".

Edited by SkoonyMcGroomer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SkoonyMcGroomer said:

I love this thread, and was wondering what had happened to it. Saturday I had a lifty look down at my gear as I approached the "wait here" line, then grab my arm while she was asking if I needed help getting on the lift like I was an elderly citizen crossing the street with a walker.  I was stunned.. and all I could say was "seriously"?

haha I hope you're married or otherwise taken

11 minutes ago, lowrider said:

Have you ever had the Ski Patrol as you to sign a waiver before loading the lift ? I was riding my Coiler Skwal.

No but I called one out as he passed me on the right. I made a few big carves as no one was behind me. Came around towards the end of a toeside and just before I dropped into a heelside, he came skidding past me nearly running off the run into the trees. He explained that I was using the whole run and that I nearly ran him off the run. I explained to him that he was supposed to avoid me and that if he were passing, a simple “on your right” would have me yield the lane to let him pass. We went back and forth about the responsibility code and he digressed and apologized. I shook his hand and saw him later in the base and we talked a minute and shook hands again. I thanked him for keeping us safe. It was a good thing.

• Like 1

The other day as I was heading toward my car after leaving my mark on all the runs at a small local hill, a couple of soft booters came running up to me saying they had seen my tracks everywhere and wanted to know what kind of board I was riding that could hold an edge like that (a new coiler 165 SL)! Looking at the board they wondered if the magic was rocker and magnetraction:freak3:  (ready for adult snowboarding!) 

• Like 2

Yesterday on my Swoard EC 175 with TD3 SW SI's + a set of Gecko carve plates.......multiple times, from all ages,  in the lift line, on the lift, at the top of the lift the #1 question I would get was something to the extent of :    That looks omg fast, What the Hell is That!    My patience and explanations of "Parallel Slalom, it's an Olympic Event - Google It"! get worn down after the first 4 or 5 time,  and I get to the point I just say -  

"What This?...This is Pure Sex, Baby!"  if they smile I keep moving, if they look perplexed I tell em.."Go ask ya Mama!"

Today on my Moss PQ60............I get:  what's that, what board is that, tell me about that, -  I usually tell them about Moss Snowsticks..........but again I get to a point in the day and my generic response turns to "This is Tha Triple F!"   ...when they look perplexed I say..."Fast, Fun and Furious"  as I'm stepping in and sliding away.

• Haha 1

Pow day today, plates on a swallie always draw questions. More about the board, though...

But, this one is going to be a bit of bragging: 

A student and his ski instructor behind me: 

"What is that?" 

"Oh, he rides hard boots..." then gives a pretty good explanation of details, including the swallowtail. "And he's the best snowboarder I know... by far!" ?

• Like 1

On 1/18/2018 at 7:57 PM, lowrider said:

Have you ever had the Ski Patrol ask you to sign a waiver before loading the lift ? I was riding my Coiler Skwal.

Don't you youngins' remember when riding was a crime? We had to take proficiency tests, carry a badge testifying that we were competent to be on the mountain, and get hassled by ski patrol when we were nearly killed by an out of control skier. I don't miss the good ol' days!

Skimoose - Yep,  I'm young enough to remember  having to show  proficiency to get "Badged" ...and then, and then you got the luxury  of being  banished to one trail or one lift..... on the far side of the resort!

Still got some of those "Badges" somewhere....we need to do a Flashback Friday thread and post some of those up for the non believers!! 

• Like 3

My Mt. Baker Snowboard proficiency card is hiding around here somewhere.  This is long before the B.C hills figured it out. Think early 80's.

Cypress was the first to allow Snowboarding locally, but you had to pass a similar Proficiency Test.  Link 3 turns, stop toe-side. Link another 3 turns, stop backside.  

I see some in the terrain parks regularly that couldn't pass this test today.

Trenches For All!