Note to New Members ×

Fintec bushing replacement - any tips

scrutton

Anyone replaced the bushings in Fintec heels? These are the bushings that fit in the sides of the heels (2 per heel), that the pins that stick out and ride in.

If you've never taken yours apart and inspected them closely you may not know about these.

Wondering how to remove the old and install the new bushings, without damaging the new ones.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it's a dilemma. Mine are working OK now, and with new bushings installed may work really good. And I only have 2 more races to get through, so 4-5 more days on snow, so I'll make it through this season. This has got me thinking about converting boot(s) back to standard though. Would be nice to get an ETA when the store may be re-opened for business so we could do some planning with our purchases.

I recall you mentioned one pin was not fully extending into the hole in the heel receiver OR is it that one pin is not fully extending from the heel?

Check both your toe and your heel piece (more likely) so they are square or aligned in the same position on each side; being out of alignment can prevent one pin to fully extend.

image.pngimage.png.67aa75f563fff426d403794956b33645.png

Edited by Pat Donnelly

They look a lot like igus bushings:

https://www.igus.com/product/3

Shipping is likely to cost much more than the bushings. They keep most USA stock on the east coast.

There is always (in the USA) McMaster-Carr, but I don't know if they have the right dimensions available.  I don't have my Fintecs near me, but I would guess that the pin diameter is 10mm, and the Fintec body has a 12mm bore. Measure carefully before buying anything!

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-sleeve-bearings/=1baa1vd

Avoid nylon, since it absorbs water and can swell, affecting the clearances. Any of the Rulon materials will work well.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, scrutton said:

I just checked mine look fine. It is always the right pin that isn't extending. It's happening on both boards though. Have TD3s on one. TD3 SW on other.

Are the pins extending fully from the heels?  Switch boots front boot to rear binding and rear boot to front binding - report back.

10 minutes ago, Pat Donnelly said:

Are the pins extending fully from the heels?  Switch boots front boot to rear binding and rear boot to front binding - report back.

It will be a while Pat. Packing for a trip etc. Might be a a couple of weeks before I have time to do more troubleshooting.