Note to New Members ×

Mt. Hood Meadows 2017/2018

Dan

Got my first day of the season at Meadows today. On Friday night/Saturday morning, the ski area had rain, a freeze, and maybe an inch of fresh on top of that, so surface conditions were not great. However, it was bluebird, so take the good with the bad. 

Classic carving runs like Shooting Star Ridge were a little too firm for fun, we found that Middle Fork on MH Express was actually the best run of the day -- also had a few good runs through Daisy Bowl, but crowds chased us away. 

We arrived at the base of the Meadows exit at 8 and didn't park until 8:30 because traffic on the access road was so slow. We went to the main lot because we needed to pick up passes - for the rest of the season, HRM is the way to go. 

• 1 month later...

Made it up Saturday! EPIC day! 

(As I explained to a coworker, that means "If I had been up there anytime before the 20th century, I would have been convinced I was going to die.")

Riding bottomless powder, I think they only claimed about 10" overnight, but it was much deeper on wind loaded slopes. Got first tracks on 2 Bowl and Roach Bowl, fresh tracks in Jack's Woods, and a long, slow, hot and technical trip out of PR. My bad, I hadn't been down there in a long long time. 

It looked like a lot of people collected over on Star waiting for Heather to open, other chairs were not bad and overall the hill was less crowded than I expected.

We left Portland at 6 a.m. and traffic was not a problem; we pulled into HRM around 7:45. We headed down the hill around 2 p.m. and hit some very slow traffic but were ahead of the worst crappy driving and the semi that apparently blocked both lanes at some point behind us. Saw a pickup truck with Texas plates in a snow bank on the way down and smirked in a way that I have to admit wasn't very friendly. Very slick conditions for driving and lots of people were having trouble.

1 hour ago, Dan said:

We left Portland at 6 a.m. and traffic was not a problem; we pulled into HRM around 7:45. We headed down the hill around 2 p.m. and hit some very slow traffic but were ahead of the worst crappy driving and the semi that apparently blocked both lanes at some point behind us. Saw a pickup truck with Texas plates in a snow bank on the way down and smirked in a way that I have to admit wasn't very friendly. Very slick conditions for driving and lots of people were having trouble.

I went Friday, left at 12:15, semi tipped over blocking both lanes, as I was waiting for it to clear there were multiple wrecks on both sides of the semi.  It took me 4 hours to get home, it's usually a 1.5 hour drive.  Roads were shiny and people were driving like fools.  Going Hood River adds 45 miles to the drive for me.  I am trying to convince myself that old snow is better.

4 minutes ago, Keenan said:

I went Friday, left at 12:15, semi tipped over blocking both lanes, as I was waiting for it to clear there were multiple wrecks on both sides of the semi.  It took me 4 hours to get home, it's usually a 1.5 hour drive.  Roads were shiny and people were driving like fools.  Going Hood River adds 45 miles to the drive for me.  I am trying to convince myself that old snow is better.

TBH, things have gotten so much crazier since the days when I bought a pass every year (2001 - 2006 or so) that I had pretty much given up on powder days. I hold out for bluebird weekdays in January when no one else can be bothered to drive up...but crowds on the hill on Saturday weren't bad! My first MHM powder day in 3 or 4 years, and it wasn't as horrible as I expected. 

I am surprised by the extent to which people drive like fools though. I mean, after one trip up in white knuckle conditions, surely you 1) know what to expect 2) will get some damn traction tires or chains. However, that's not the case, and there was a lot of headshaking idiocy on display. 

• Like 1

Anyone want to car pool up to the hill this Sunday (March 4)? Leaving Portland on the early side, like 6:00 or 6:15, and parking at HRM, heading back down the mountain by 1 p.m. 

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, kram said:

There will be 2 N. Idaho carvers on your mountain tomorrow. Hopefully we won't get caught up in any of that legal drug usage you have in your state 

They are calling for rain and snow tonight and tomorrow, turning to 3-5" on Friday.  There is a dispensary down the road in Rhododendron, but you need an Oregon or Washington license.  They know better that to trust inland people.

• Haha 1