Note to New Members ×

Flow NX2 bindings question

piusthedrcarve

Yep all Flow users the Rivets on the webbing  give way, if they are loose , remove the black washer with pliers and get some T-bolts,and spring washers 1 under clip or ratchet and 1under T bolt . I have had 2  rivets go me virtually with in a season , both in not critical moments ; but I had one yesterday , one binding went (total release ) at the rivet and caused the other binding to go (total release) was on very steep slope lucky the snow was very soft I stopped myself and grabbed the board b4 it shot off down the hill , the rivets are dodgy as F#@#, after lots of serious carving and pressure through the bindings I have 2 pairs of Fuse bindings I ride them on different boards each are just over a year of use .be careful ,easy to do some serious damage ,if in doubt replace ASAP  I love Flow , as they are true freeride trenching ,comfortable control and torque mechanisms , but they should address this problem b4 people get seriously hurt !!!!!

Edited by deanocarve
left a few words out

7 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Guys,

Silly question.  Do the Flow NX2 highbacks normally have their high point inboard (big toes) or outboard (little toes)?  Thanks. I can't remember if I did the swap back a couple of years ago.

Normally, they are inboard, but most people swap them to outboard. Also, the new single piece highback on the NX2-CX comes with the high point outboard.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 7:57 AM, deanocarve said:

Yep all Flow users the Rivets on the webbing  give way, if they are loose , remove the black washer with pliers and get some T-bolts,and spring washers 1 under clip or ratchet and 1under T bolt . I have had 2  rivets go me virtually with in a season , both in not critical moments ; but I had one yesterday , one binding went (total release ) at the rivet and caused the other binding to go (total release) was on very steep slope lucky the snow was very soft I stopped myself and grabbed the board b4 it shot off down the hill , the rivets are dodgy as F#@#, after lots of serious carving and pressure through the bindings I have 2 pairs of Fuse bindings I ride them on different boards each are just over a year of use .be careful ,easy to do some serious damage ,if in doubt replace ASAP  I love Flow , as they are true freeride trenching ,comfortable control and torque mechanisms , but they should address this problem b4 people get seriously hurt !!!!!

All bindings break. I have been breaking flows for 22 years now

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2018 at 3:20 PM, Gunnar said:

Hi. I'm trying to decide between 15/16 NX2 and 18/19 Fuse bindings. Have any of you had any issues with the older ratchets Vs the new alu ratchets with stronger locking mechanism?

And does the updated cushioning in the strap make any significant difference?

I really struggle to decide what to go for..

18/19 Fuse vs. 15/16 NX2 ?

Cheers Gunnar

Flow binding newbie here

Wondering is there any major update from 15/16 NX2 to later version?  I know it's personal preference, but for someone who has never tried flow binding before, should go for fusion or hybrid straps? 

I found good used deal on 15/16 NX2 fusion and 16/17 NX2-GT hybrid, can't decide which one to go for.  
My previous binding is Union force, not sure how the stiffness compare to NX2 or GT

On 4/2/2019 at 4:42 PM, BooneAS said:

I found good used deal on 15/16 NX2 fusion and 16/17 NX2-GT hybrid, can't decide which one to go for.

I personally don't like the hybrid straps. Never felt good. Have a couple of the 2016 vintage and like them a lot.

9 hours ago, JRAZZ said:

I personally don't like the hybrid straps. Never felt good. Have a couple of the 2016 vintage and like them a lot.

I also do not like the hybrid straps.   I have been riding Flows for a number of years now & I must be accustomed to their standard strap (fusion?).    Anyway, I bought 2 new pairs this season with the hybrid strap & they seem to put pressure on a part of my foot that drives me crazy.   With that being said, I only rode them for a few days before swapping out the hybrid straps for the regular fusion straps.  

Hi, 

Just to echo what has been said. I"ve been riding Fuse AT with hybrid strap for about 4 years and prior to that Flow M11 for another 5 years. Both with Malamut boots. No problems fitting with the boots although these are 5 year old boots and bindings now. I also found the hybrid strap not as easy to use as the original strap M11s although they might be a little tighter. I also find that the ratchets break as to the do the straps after awhile (3 seasons).  I just tried 2018 Flow Talons and Vans Fuse boots with my Fuse ATs and NEITHER of these boots work well with the bindings. Both boots are very difficult to slide in and out.  I'm curious if anyone has tried the Nidecker/flow boots with newer Flow bindings?

3 hours ago, MikeB said:

Hi, 

Just to echo what has been said. I"ve been riding Fuse AT with hybrid strap for about 4 years and prior to that Flow M11 for another 5 years. Both with Malamut boots. No problems fitting with the boots although these are 5 year old boots and bindings now. I also found the hybrid strap not as easy to use as the original strap M11s although they might be a little tighter. I also find that the ratchets break as to the do the straps after awhile (3 seasons).  I just tried 2018 Flow Talons and Vans Fuse boots with my Fuse ATs and NEITHER of these boots work well with the bindings. Both boots are very difficult to slide in and out.  I'm curious if anyone has tried the Nidecker/flow boots with newer Flow bindings?

I am using 2018-19 Nidecker Talons with NX2-CX and NX2-GT fusion strap bindings with no problems.

prior to the Talons, I was using Burton Driver X and they work fine too, but require very different strap settings.

cheers,

sandy

• 3 months later...
On 1/17/2018 at 2:36 PM, jng said:

I just got a new pair of Malamutes that would not work with older Flows with fusion straps and no amount of adjustment made them work.  I upgraded to NX2 with hybrid straps and problem is solved. 

I was just researching conversion from hybrid to fusion and I have malamutes. Thanks for saving me the cash buddy 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2018 at 5:47 PM, piusthedrcarve said:

Maybe.

I'm using Driver X boots (10.5) this year model, which is known for low height or flat boots on NX2 Fusion.  First, the over-covering strap on top of boots is something that needs to get used to it.  I noticed that I don't want to crank them to be too tight. it interfere boots going in and most of all, it give too much pressure on top of boots that feel squashing my feet too much.  I loosen them bit and switched footbeds that not too high arch to get comfortable. 

I think I missed you mentioning this, but do you have the Ls or XLs? I also ride in 10.5 Driver Xs that I stuff my 11.5 foot into and just wondering how much space is left in the binding. I.e., would XLs be too big and require me to crank down the boots to painful levels.

8 hours ago, michael.a said:

I think I missed you mentioning this, but do you have the Ls or XLs? I also ride in 10.5 Driver Xs that I stuff my 11.5 foot into and just wondering how much space is left in the binding. I.e., would XLs be too big and require me to crank down the boots to painful levels.

Yes. For me, XL was big with 10.5. Driver X. Now, i have Adidas boots and Flux XF.  I tried to netralize the lack of cushion on Flux bindings with the Energy Adidas boots. Then. I noticed weird underfeet feeling I am not used to. Then, tinkering with 3D cants material to compensate. Who knows. I may tinker with isolate plates next.  Never-ending experiment. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, michael.a said:

I used 10.5 Drive Xs and had no problems. The key with Flow’s is to take the time to setup the straps to match your boots. 

Low volume boots are harder to setup on larger Flow bindings and cause an awkward fit. 

If you can, you should take your boots to a shop to check fit before you buy the bindings.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 5:02 AM, svr said:

I used 10.5 Drive Xs and had no problems. The key with Flow’s is to take the time to setup the straps to match your boots. 

Low volume boots are harder to setup on larger Flow bindings and cause an awkward fit. 

If you can, you should take your boots to a shop to check fit before you buy the bindings.

10.5s with Ls or XLs? Couldnt find any local shops with NX2s as of now and I need to push the button as there are a couple of online auctions with smoking deals.

10 hours ago, michael.a said:

10.5s with Ls or XLs? Couldnt find any local shops with NX2s as of now and I need to push the button as there are a couple of online auctions with smoking deals.

I have both XL NX2-GTs and L NX2-CXs.

My Driver Xs fit better in the Ls with less fidgeting, but do work in the XLs, you just have to spend a little more time adjusting them. 

Also, on Flow NX2 bindings in general, there are two different adjustments slots on the pivot points that allow you to adjust the bindings for low or high volume boots.

cheers

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, svr said:

I have both XL NX2-GTs and L NX2-CXs.

My Driver Xs fit better in the Ls with less fidgeting, but do work in the XLs, you just have to spend a little more time adjusting them. 

Also, on Flow NX2 bindings in general, there are two different adjustments slots on the pivot points that allow you to adjust the bindings for low or high volume boots.

cheers

Thank you sandy, just one final question, how would you rate the responsivness and stiffness of the GTs vs CXs, esp with the hybrid strap? I love(d) the standard Fusion strap when I had my old Flows and the Hybrid strap seems more marketing over actual performance improvement.

8 hours ago, michael.a said:

Thank you sandy, just one final question, how would you rate the responsivness and stiffness of the GTs vs CXs, esp with the hybrid strap? I love(d) the standard Fusion strap when I had my old Flows and the Hybrid strap seems more marketing over actual performance improvement.

Michael, No problem, I love both the CX and GT with Fusion straps. I have not really noticed a huge difference in response between them, but the biggest difference is that if you have a boot that has a wider heel, go with the GTs as the metal heel cup only connects on the outside of the baseplates, whereas both the CX and regular NX2 nylon highbacks have a slot in the material where the mounting points are that overlap the baseplate connection points and therefore take up more space.

I am not a fan of the Hybrid straps as they tend to be way more troublesome to get into (and I am not a fan of cap straps on regular bindings either as I think it has always been a marketing gimmick).

cheers,

sandy

Edited by svr