Note to New Members ×

Flow NX2 bindings question

piusthedrcarve

5 hours ago, slopestar said:

New boots

Lol. Yes, well, he has literally ordered 20 boots to his house and returned most because of his extra wide size 14 feet.... The boots fit the bill, but the interface between the two not so much. 

How are the hybrid straps? I have not tried them but I know they are not quite as good. We are even thinking a fusion in the front and hybrid in the back as it is really only the rear foot on heel edge that has the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/01/2018 at 9:36 AM, jng said:

I just got a new pair of Malamutes that would not work with older Flows with fusion straps and no amount of adjustment made them work.  I upgraded to NX2 with hybrid straps and problem is solved. 

Sorry to bring this back up but why does the Malamutes won't work?

I have size 11 Malamutes and looking at a Fusion strap on NX2. To tall?

Edited by Poloturbo

2 hours ago, Poloturbo said:

I was using NXT-FRX's from a few years back, so NX2's might work fine. My old bindings just didn't comform well to curve of front of boot, so for same snugness that I had for Drivers, I had to work twice as hard to lock the highback. YMMV.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 10:10 AM, Poloturbo said:

Maybe.

I'm using Driver X boots (10.5) this year model, which is known for low height or flat boots on NX2 Fusion.  First, the over-covering strap on top of boots is something that needs to get used to it.  I noticed that I don't want to crank them to be too tight. it interfere boots going in and most of all, it give too much pressure on top of boots that feel squashing my feet too much.  I loosen them bit and switched footbeds that not too high arch to get comfortable. 

Now, my review of NX2 bindings. (perspective from new to Flow bindings) 

it's been 3 days of softboot riding with the setup so far.   Definitely low volume insoles helped.  Convenience is like plate bindings. I love it.   Stiffness-wise, They're stiffer than Burton Cartel but not super stiff. (for stiffness, I score cartel to be 5 out of 10).   I adjust bindings so that it doesn't crank the upper Fusion PowerStraps down so much. My feet now doesn't have any pain or poor circulation. When its highback is pulled up & locked, it actually tight them down quiet bit.  So key is adjust straps little by little until you find your comfortable but responsive setting. The canted thick footbeds are good to go with wider stance for better balance for some tricks.  But same time, as worried, I don't really feel board that well.  Still adjusting the different feeling of Fusion strap vs. regular toe & ankle straps tho.

• Like 2

I love my Flows reefed down. I use Flow talon focus boots. I usually step in from the rear with the power straps backed off a bit. I pull the high back up over my heel. Give the ratchet straps a few clicks. Pull up and lock the high back and hit the ratchets a couple more times. The older versions made it easy to step in and out and one time adjust. If you can do that, more power to you. Easy in and go just doesn’t work for my super snug fit preference

Edited by slopestar

• 7 months later...
On 1/7/2018 at 2:00 PM, svr said:

I agree with slopestar, XL is the way to go.

i am using size 10 Driver X boots and the XLs work great.

I opted for the Nidecker&Flow collaboration NX2 Spectra bindings this year as they still have the metal heel piece (and a funky color), but was able to get a set of GT highbacks on mine.

i love the Flows for the even pressure over the top of my feet as well as the no heel cup, built in cants and excellent response.

C8E0EB33-48DE-45DE-9466-85AAF37BB665.jpeg

8235F219-A1B6-47FC-A38D-1C50A7974BA5.jpeg

I think the cantbeds are slightly different between the NX2 and NX2-GT. The little toe cushions seem slightly different although I doubt they make much if any difference.

Wish I could've gotten these at the same price of my NX2-GT, but then again, I'm not sure I'm cool enough to pull it off. ?

10 minutes ago, erazz said:

I'm using size 10 boots. 

The XL Flows are simply too big for me. The boot ends up being too far back in the binding and that causes me to be off center.

Have you adjusted the cable, high back, toe strap and ankle strap anchorage points to the smallest positions?

On that note, though, yeah mine are 10.5 and fit perfectly in the size Large NX2-GT.

Edited by daveo

4 hours ago, daveo said:

Have you adjusted the cable, high back, toe strap and ankle strap anchorage points to the smallest positions?

On that note, though, yeah mine are 10.5 and fit perfectly in the size Large NX2-GT.

I don't know. 

That's a good suggestion. I'll go home and test it. I do love them and have made them work by offsetting the base.

I'l give it a shot and report.

Yeah! A reason to play with my snowboard gear!!! Awesome!!!

• Like 1

I'm wearing size 10 Flow Talon BOA boots. I'm using size Large Flow NX2-GT bindings. They fit well. My riding buddy is using the same setup except he has size 12 boots and XL bindings. 

One thing that we both notice is that as the day moves along, snow can build up on the front part of the boot (in the lace area). This causes the boot not to engage forward far enough and it makes it difficult to close the highback. 

Anyone else notice this problem?

1 hour ago, JohnE said:

I'm wearing size 10 Flow Talon BOA boots. I'm using size Large Flow NX2-GT bindings. They fit well. My riding buddy is using the same setup except he has size 12 boots and XL bindings. 

One thing that we both notice is that as the day moves along, snow can build up on the front part of the boot (in the lace area). This causes the boot not to engage forward far enough and it makes it difficult to close the highback. 

Anyone else notice this problem?

I personally haven't had this problem, but it doesn't seem terribly difficult to deal with, right?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of fusion’s not sure if they are the same. All flows have that positive lock feeling that regular strap ins don’t. Metal base and polymer highback. Fuse has polymer base with some metal reinforcement. I think you’ll be fine at 165 but will be more flexible than than the top tier bindings. I ride the fusions on my freestyle boards. 

14 hours ago, Surf Quebec said:

Anyone tried the Fuse model?

It will be my first year with softboots. I bought Burton Photon boots ans was looking to the Flow NX2 and Fuse models.

I'll use my soft gear on pow days only and since I'm at 165 pounds I think a softer bindings like the Fuse would fit my needs better.

Any thoughts ?

My partner has the NX2 an I have NX2-GT. She is about 100lbs and she seems to think they're comfortable.

To compare the NX2 and NX2-GT. The heelcup/highback thing is plastic (nylon?) on the NX2, compared to the NX2-GT, which is metal. The other differences are that the NX2-GT's highback support top piece has a wafer thin piece of carbon fibre attached to it, which does nothing except for look cheap and the footbed which has little gelly things on the toes, which also do nothing.

The nylon highback on the NX2 does make a decent difference in softening the flex, which probably is why she finds them so comfortable.

I think unless you like a stiff binding, the NX2 is a really great all round binding for anything and everything around the mountain. One of my mates just bought a set for his SG Soul, which he will be using for all mountain riding, also.

In saying that, I can't comment on the Fuse. But don't forget the Fuse-GT, either..

I think it goes like this:

NX2-GT- metal highback, metal baseplate. Flex 9/10

NX2- nylon highback, metal baseplate. Flex 8/10

Fuse-GT- metal highback, nylon baseplate. Flex 7/10

Fuse- nylon highback, nylon baseplate. Flex 6/10

Edited by daveo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi. I'm trying to decide between 15/16 NX2 and 18/19 Fuse bindings. Have any of you had any issues with the older ratchets Vs the new alu ratchets with stronger locking mechanism?

And does the updated cushioning in the strap make any significant difference?

I really struggle to decide what to go for..

18/19 Fuse vs. 15/16 NX2 ?

611800341_Screenshot_20181203-2140352.thumb.png.9435f577068fc1123f74eaac2b5bc5d7.png

Price is about the same.

Boots are Malamutes..

Cheers Gunnar

Edited by Gunnar

So, since I got my el hefes I’m a lot less in love with the flows.

the flows footprint deadens the ride in a bad way. They are still one of the better bindings available I’m not sold by any means. Also, getting in and out of them is a nightmare compared to a decent strap setup or even clickers now that K2 is selling them again. 

The riveted rachet levers fail over time. Either the lever breaks or the rivet that holds them in tears out. I just order spare parts online. And use tnuts.They are great. I rebuild them every year. Cheaper than buying new.

I use both the fuse and get models. I prefer the get but only have aluminum baseplates that have never failed. My alum highbacks have cracked though

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 1