Note to New Members ×

Flow NX2 bindings question

piusthedrcarve

Noticed Flow NX2-GT is quiet popular for softboot carving in BOL.  Mainly because of stiffness and no heelcup?  How’s its response and feel of board? 

Oh. And sizing. I wear size 11 Burton boots, which in their end of Large and start of Extra Large. Burton boots’ footprint is quiet smaller than others. Should I go with L or XL? 

Edited by piusthedrcarve
Added question

XL for sure.

i still love mine! I have 6 pair and have been on NX2GT/fusion/RS models. I do after over two years of heavy use, have signs of fatigue/cracking on the aluminum highbacks. I'm 220 and consider myself hard on gear. I have not ridden a stiffer pair of bindings other than alpine/hardboots

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 1

The way the highback is designed you get a "preload" pressure on the back of your leg. This, I think, is the part that makes the flow bindings more responsive  That being said, once you're strapped in the feel is no different than any  other stiff binding (aka Genesis, El Hefe, etc...) with the highback canted forward.

Burton's boots tend to have a small footprint. Flow bindings OTOH tend to be large. Size L for the 11 Burtons should be the right choice.

I agree with slopestar, XL is the way to go.

i am using size 10 Driver X boots and the XLs work great.

I opted for the Nidecker&Flow collaboration NX2 Spectra bindings this year as they still have the metal heel piece (and a funky color), but was able to get a set of GT highbacks on mine.

i love the Flows for the even pressure over the top of my feet as well as the no heel cup, built in cants and excellent response.

C8E0EB33-48DE-45DE-9466-85AAF37BB665.jpeg

8235F219-A1B6-47FC-A38D-1C50A7974BA5.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, svr said:

I opted for the Nidecker&Flow collaboration NX2 Spectra bindings this year as they still have the metal heel piece (and a funky color), but was able to get a set of GT highbacks on mine.

Damn Sandy, those are pimpin'! If you're going to ride those, you'd best be coming to the mountain dressed like Huggy Bear. An excellent looking set-up. If that Cheater 200 is as crappy as it looks, give me a shout...

13 minutes ago, svr said:

I agree with slopestar, XL is the way to go.

Agreed on that. With the Flows, the L and XL are very close north-south; east-west the XLs are much more roomy, allowing big feet to make use of the quick entry/no ratcheting feature that sets the Flows apart.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lordmetroland said:

Damn Sandy, those are pimpin'! If you're going to ride those, you'd best be coming to the mountain dressed like Huggy Bear. An excellent looking set-up. If that Cheater 200 is as crappy as it looks, give me a shout...

Agreed on that. With the Flows, the L and XL are very close north-south; east-west the XLs are much more roomy, allowing big feet to make use of the quick entry/no ratcheting feature that sets the Flows apart.

I need a furry hat and leisure suit ?

Cheater 200 is awesome, and most of the guys that I have been riding with lately are using the NX2-GTs as well.

B4ECF79F-81CB-4656-BBDF-8D2145815AE7.jpeg

0E8827E6-3718-4EC5-BF90-A800F651F41D.jpeg

19A781F7-8166-494E-B712-A325A02DADAB.png

hi Pius.   the Flows (NX2-GT) are fantastic.  Starcarver was kind enough to part with 2 pair (XL) and i am smitten.  exceeded expectations and i have been on other Flow models for 15 years or better.          btw, i love the Pogo i got from you.  it is a trampoline.  suits me nicely.  i do wish it was hot pink, puke green  or something other than yellow.  i have had a lot of yellow boards, that's all.     but i love it anyway.  the Osin is nice too !   

i will be at Whitetail tomorrow with my kid.  hope to catch up to you before long.

all the best.

dave

Edited by davekempmeister
  • Like 1

Thank you all.

I am not after strongest/stiff bindings but more of medium/stiff flex with more of board feel.  I recently rode softboot boards and hated buckling straps (spoiled from plate bindings).  I was hoping to get some answers for the board feel but I doubt that any of recent bindings can give that due to thick base foams.  Again, thank you all for good advice.

8 minutes ago, davekempmeister said:

hi Pius.   the Flows (NX2-GT) are fantastic.  Slopestar was kind enough to part with 2 pair (XL) and i am smitten.  exceeded expectations and i have been on other Flow models for 15 years or better.          btw, i love the Pogo i got from you.  it is a trampoline.  suits me nicely.  i do wish it was hot pink, puke green  or something other than yellow.  i have had a lot of yellow boards, that's all.     but i love it anyway.  the Osin is nice too !   

i will be at Whitetail tomorrow with my kid.  hope to catch up to you before long.

all the best.

dave

No kidding. I was on Madd 172 on choppy packed powder few weeks ago and missed the Pogo's Cadillac ride (not Deville, more of STS).  Not missing Osin since we got less than 1" so far.  :)  Let me know if you can sell 1 pair of the Flow.  

15 hours ago, piusthedrcarve said:

Thank you all.

I am not after strongest/stiff bindings but more of medium/stiff flex with more of board feel.  I recently rode softboot boards and hated buckling straps (spoiled from plate bindings).  I was hoping to get some answers for the board feel but I doubt that any of recent bindings can give that due to thick base foams.  Again, thank you all for good advice.

Piusthedrcarve, I agree with you that the foam takes a little bit away from the direct feel of the board, but having the metal base plate of the NX2 does help and the foam and rubber act more like the e-ring on the TD3.

As for the stiffness issue, I like the metal heel cup on the NX2-GT and NX2 Spectra as it does not allow the binding to flex a lot from side to side.

If you are okay with a little flex (it really is not much more than the GT), than the regular NX2 bindings will work great.

I am not a fan of the hybrid strap and I think you lose some feel (and they can be harder to get into), so I would recommend that if you go the Flow route make sure to get the Fusion straps.

hope that helps.

cheers, 

sandy

• Like 2

8 hours ago, svr said:

Piusthedrcarve, I agree with you that the foam takes a little bit away from the direct feel of the board, but having the metal base plate of the NX2 does help and the foam and rubber act more like the e-ring on the TD3.

As for the stiffness issue, I like the metal heel cup on the NX2-GT and NX2 Spectra as it does not allow the binding to flex a lot from side to side.

If you are okay with a little flex (it really is not much more than the GT), than the regular NX2 bindings will work great.

I am not a fan of the hybrid strap and I think you lose some feel (and they can be harder to get into), so I would recommend that if you go the Flow route make sure to get the Fusion straps.

hope that helps.

cheers, 

sandy

Thanks Sandy,

The regular NX2 is what my eyes are on right now. I ride mostly in Mid Atlantic area so will not ride on bottomless POW like you and my board will be 99% on ground  (carving and ground tricks) so feel of board is important to me.   For hardbooting, I even ditched convenience for getting more board feel.  Old Phiokka bindings were great and still ride on them sometimes.  My search found Flux bindings have much less cushions and more of direct feel of board.  So still undecided between NX2 and Flux XF.  ;-)  

2 hours ago, piusthedrcarve said:

Thanks Sandy,

The regular NX2 is what my eyes are on right now. I ride mostly in Mid Atlantic area so will not ride on bottomless POW like you and my board will be 99% on ground  (carving and ground tricks) so feel of board is important to me.   For hardbooting, I even ditched convenience for getting more board feel.  Old Phiokka bindings were great and still ride on them sometimes.  My search found Flux bindings have much less cushions and more of direct feel of board.  So still undecided between NX2 and Flux XF.  ;-)  

No worries and good luck with finding what works best for you.

On a side note, Mats from Stranda (formerly Maverick and formerly of Alpinepunk) loves the regular NX2 for freecarving and freeriding powder and groomers.

cheers!

Thanks Sandy.  I ordered NX2 from evo. (evo is having some great sale on boots and bindings currently)  Since my use of the softboot boards will be 60% carving & 40% ground riding, I wanted bindings with some flex that matches with current boots.  

By the way, have you tried K2 Kwicker or Burton's Step-on?  Especially Kwicker would be so convenient for backcountry Pow riding. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, piusthedrcarve said:

Thanks Sandy.  I ordered NX2 from evo. (evo is having some great sale on boots and bindings currently)  Since my use of the softboot boards will be 60% carving & 40% ground riding, I wanted bindings with some flex that matches with current boots.  

By the way, have you tried K2 Kwicker or Burton's Step-on?  Especially Kwicker would be so convenient for backcountry Pow riding. 

Awesome, I hope you like them. Take a little time to play with setting them up as it will pay off in the long run.

i have tried the Kwicker system. I loved the clicker setup, but the problem for me was always getting good boots.

I have not tried the step-on but I like the concept but again the boots will be the issue for me.

cheers

Just want to share my experiences with Flow support. I have been fortunate enough to be given a couple pairs of bindings by Lucien Vink, the designer/founder of Flow bindings. I received 2 pair of nx2 bindings/GT and RS models. I’m heavy, I like to think I’m aggressive so things over time break. I got spare parts from Lucien along with the bindings before they were bought out by Nidecker. 

I just ordered some replacement parts from “Josh” and it was a breeze and affordable. I replace everything attached to the high back for both sets of bindings for $150. Don’t hesitate to call them with a warranty issue. These bindings were gifts and I don’t have contact with Lucien anymore but the Nidecker buyout seems to be a good thing.

I cracked the aluminum heel cup portion on both sets of Bindings and replaced the other parts as a precaution. I’ll share photos soon.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, piusthedrcarve said:

My softboot stance angles are usually 30 Front and 15 Back. Can the NX2 highbacks  be rotated? 

I am not sure, I have never tried to rotate them.

i ride front +30 and rear +9 and never felt the need to rotate the highbacks like I did on my regular strap bindings.

the only thing that I did is swap the left and right highback supports as this basically accomplished the same thing with the asymmetric shape of them based on some advice from Slopestar. 

both the standard NX2 and the GT have the asymmetrical shapes and can be moved left or right to basically emulate rotating the highback of a conventional binding.

DFB2EC1C-D2E4-4FC7-B216-206EA3CACD0F.png

4CFA7815-C78A-4B09-8503-57BBAB482ACA.png

Edited by svr

The upper shown can be. I flip flop mine and rotate up and left (regular foot/angles range from 21/9 to 27/18)

you can also move the aluminum high back hoop up about a a half inch. This increases the amount of forward lean possible and make the high back even taller. I’ll post up some pics here once I do the rebuild on mine to show the cracks/parts/etc...

• Like 1