Note to New Members ×

Donek 180 Freecarve with Secret Construction

snowwjob1

OK so I have about 5 days on this board.

Specs.

180 Donek FreeCarve Secret 

11-14 VSR

21.5 width.

Made for 200 lbs. Rider

First impressions is this board is fast and damp. It is incredible quick to accelerate.

This is the first alpine board that I feel made me a better rider. The edge hold is very impressive. I have noticed this board loves to use the nose to initiate the turn, get on the tip and the board comes around quickly. I have spent several days tailgunning a fellow hardbooter on a 184 Coiler Monster with similar specs and I find it very easy to match turn spacing. Although I have noticed that the FC has a much tighter turn at initation and easies off after words. The FC is substantially stiffer then the Monster. I have spent many days riding the Monster and I find that allows for a much more casual ride and I feel like a could break the nose if I really leaned into it, the fc does not have that feeling.

Now to the Secret Construction. Overall the board feels very stiff and the build quality is what you would expect from Donek(outstanding). I don't know what is happening on the inside but the feeling is very damp but alive. It seems to soak up bumps and crud very well. It is also very fast with out much vibration. The board seems to transition across diffrent conditions without missing a beat.

Thank you Sean for another high quality board. 

I plan to do some back to back runs on the Monster and the FC in the near future and will give additional feedback when I can.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

OK here is my one year later update on my 180 Freecarve. Outstanding board and I am not sure where the limit is. I have improved my riding over the last year and changed my boots to upz to improve heel hold. Separate review on that later. I can honestly say this board digs harder then anything I have ever ridden, and I have started to notice alot of pop off of the tail that allows you to dive into the next turn (airborne) which I have never done before. It is a fun board to ride and it is not overall aggressive. I find I can really change turn shape based on how I load the board. Aggressive get on the nose and pop off the tail, mellow stand centered and just make large casual turns. And straight line speed is amazingly stable!