Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain 2017/2018

rwmaron

About 8" fresh powder on the hill today! Got to try out a vintage Fish:biggthumpwith super-soft step-in hardboots. With 3cm taper the Fish really floats up on the snow. Even with just 8" of powder I barely felt the bottom. I think it will be great in the deeper stuff, and turny enough for going into the trees.

I arrived just after opening, so missed the first tracks, but found some...

5a932f2cb1755_Powtrack022518.JPG.1305f216acb24bf3836f58a5821d0227.JPG

The hill was all tracked out after about an hour, so I switched to the 164 Incline and had a blast carving through the crud. Trenches were so deep!:eplus2: Legs were toast by noon.

I was planning to stay and ride tomorrow, but then remembered that Spirit doesn't open till noon on Monday and Tuesday.:mad:  I have Monday off so maybe I'll go to Buck for some soft 1st day groom.:biggthump

Edited by bigwavedave

On 2/21/2018 at 2:48 PM, Corey said:

Lonbordin Dave convinced me to come ride Spirit Mountain.  I kept saying no, but he persisted.  Ok, not really; I just want to check out another hill and ride with some others!  

I'll be there to ride Mar 15-17, driving home Mar 18.  Anyone else around then?  If weather turns bad (warm), I can cancel up to 3 days in advance.  

I marked the 17th on my calendar. Carpool @bobble ?

• Like 1

Monoski madness today, so it got busy pretty quick over on the express lift. Started out with flat light light and became sunny in short order and then Ken and Jane appeared. Snow was great everywhere and the grooming better than usual, on par with GR. We gravitated over to the Gandy side as monski-ism bogged down the express lift. 

Mere grooves morphed into trenches in the sun drenched the snow, and it was all good:1luvu:

On Gandy...5a988de17e964_Tracks030118.JPG.387346f493505c6093bf2d493ebbd509.JPG

In the chalet I overheard some skiers talking about the trenches" those boarders" were making, holding their hands about 6" apart to demonstrate the depth of the carnage on the hill:eplus2: , an exaggeration!

I'm thinking, they complain about boarders who go sideways scraping the snow off the hill and then they complain about clean carved turns:confused: Then one of them noticed me and asked if I was leaving. Not sure if he knew I was one of "those boarders", and it could be my imagination, but he seemed happier when I said, "Yes, my work is done here".:ices_ange

• Like 1

Spirit didn't get more than a dusting from this storm:mad:(according to their website).

Website also says they're opening both the express and Gandy lifts for passholders at 8am this Saturday. (Midwest masters racing on Gandy)

I wonder how the snow is at Spirit after the warm weather? 

Bit of a mixed bag today - Fourpipe, Sissor Bill, Bindle Stiff, and Sky Hooker were firm but grippy; Gandy, Blue Ruin, and Double Jaw were one notch below bulletproof. But hey the sun was shining and I got to ride with these cool kids.

A34813C8-C476-4A7A-8A32-9437A45DE314.jpeg

Edited by rwmaron
typo....
  • Thanks 1

No mixed bag today - grippy groom everywhere from Cinder Snapper to Juggler Joe. A few more folks than usual for a weekday morning but we were still able to have our way with the hill. Today’s crew (khoward and Patroller Don); Jolson joined us a bit later too!

32D6B3AF-A729-4FB5-81AD-812675AA6CBC.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

How's Don doing on the Generics SL? 

Progressing - he is struggling with the concept of keeping his center of mass over the carving edge (as opposed to staying on top of the board), but remains open to feedback from other riders.

Short day... Work, then out, then back to the Hut for more bootfitting. Think we got it this time!

Snow was soft but fast. Had fun for the half dozen runs I got in today.

Tomorrow... There's always tomorrow, until there isn't...

Oh and the ice breaker was out working today... Just tells ya' what time of year it is!

Edited by lonbordin
.. tomorrow ...

Yep, I'm heading to Spirit tomorrow to ride Thu-Sat.  I was nervous with the above-freezing daytime highs, but I decided it's more fun than working!  

Still debating doing a day trip to Indianhead...  Maybe Friday or Saturday.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corey said:

I was nervous with the above-freezing daytime highs, but I decided it's more fun than working!  

That's the right attitude:biggthump 

There should be plenty of snow on the hill and we're only just entering the spring melt, and may be transitioning into some soft spring conditions by Saturday. At least there are clear skies in the forecast.

I'm planning to come up Thursday and Friday (who knows, maybe Saturday too). Russ was mumbling something about coming out Thursday morning before he leaves town.

7 hours ago, bobble said:

is corey still heading there?

asking for a friend.

Are you thinking of coming up? You, Randy and Trent? When, Saturday?  Could turn into a mini SES (SpiritExpressionSession). All we need now is to conjol @Algunderfoot to bring over some Thirst demos from Indianhead!

Lovely day... 

PG7429T.jpg

Rode with Ken... couldn't sync up with Jim O in the early part of the day.  Snow's really nice.  Ya' know I might go back out later after some OMC.

Edited by lonbordin
Broken bails no Bomber replacements... Ken's lucky to have spare parts!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bigwavedave said:

That's the right attitude:biggthump 

There should be plenty of snow on the hill and we're only just entering the spring melt, and may be transitioning into some soft spring conditions by Saturday. At least there are clear skies in the forecast.

I'm planning to come up Thursday and Friday (who knows, maybe Saturday too). Russ was mumbling something about coming out Thursday morning before he leaves town.

Are you thinking of coming up? You, Randy and Trent? When, Saturday?  Could turn into a mini SES (SpiritExpressionSession). All we need now is to conjol @Algunderfoot to bring over some Thirst demos from Indianhead!

i'm heading up thursday morning and will drive back sunday.

i sent email to the local hardbooters anonymous. unfortunately trent said he can't swing it.

• Like 2

What a day at Spirit. 

Ran into Ken "The binding butcher" a couple of times and got to meet his delightful spouse.

Once work emergencies were finally extinguished I got out to ride after 1300.

Soft Ken said... Soft is just where I start getting rev'd up. :eplus2:

Rode until ~1800 non-stop. Mostly on the Gandy side.  Too much fun.

Met a delightful young special Olympian riding a Donek Pilot hailing from Central Wisconsin. We rode a few laps together, she has great race form.

Cinder snapper was unmolested, until I found it. Tore up Gandy as well.

We need a deepest trench thread... :freak3:

Even late my work was discernable.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

PS- Hey Spirit locals... Tell whomever they need to adjust the parking lot lights with the recent change to DST.  They come on way too early.