Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain 2017/2018

rwmaron

• 3 weeks later...

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.....

Both Ken and I were out today getting some turns in. Runs open include Bear Claw, Gandy, Sky Hooker, Bindle Stiff, Sissor Bill, Four Pipe, and Double Jaw. Good light at the 1pm opening that began to deteriorate within an hour or so; generally nice soft groom. I can't speak for Ken but I found some muscles that need a little practice. But hey, we get to hang out with our wintertime homies again!

Russ

Thought  you guys might find this interesting, while looking at the Indianhead website I found they offer $30 lift tickets for St Louis Co (MN) residents. Must purchase online 2 days in advance, good Sun-Thurs only, no holidays.

I'm on the fence about coming up tomorrow. I'm expecting some new liners delivered tomorrow, so might wait and come up early Sat morning.

EC3AECFF-D588-4121-88C6-BF8089096520.thumb.jpeg.f5b7e05adc3f732838831bab715caaf3.jpeg

The first turns of Christmas! 

Turned into a sunny day and never got really busy. Rode til 2pm. Snow was very good, very firm. Saw two other hardbooters on the hill─never caught up with either of them. One looked like a young girl on a Donek with the pink flamingo topsheet and the other a guy in a blue jacket on a black board. Also met the new boarder-patroller who's interested in checking out a hardboot set-up. I told him Russ was the man.:biggthump

Hope to be back up on Thurs and/or Friday.

Edited by bigwavedave
  • Like 1

I'm so tired in a happy way. Rode open to close today (10-3). Definitely was getting colder and windy after ~1300.

Early was overcast and snowing. Later was Partly cloudy with some sun.

Fantastic groom under a couple of inches of fresh snow.  Every run was a winner. 

I rode with that patroller Dave.  Maybe another convert is soon upon us.

Spirit is closed for xmas and it is forecast to be very cold tomorrow. I think we'll just hang around Duluth and do some snowshoeing.Late

20171224_115626.jpg

On 12/23/2017 at 10:41 AM, bigwavedave said:

EC3AECFF-D588-4121-88C6-BF8089096520.thumb.jpeg.f5b7e05adc3f732838831bab715caaf3.jpeg

The first turns of Christmas! 

Turned into a sunny day and never got really busy. Rode til 2pm. Snow was very good, very firm. Saw two other hardbooters on the hill─never caught up with either of them. One looked like a young girl on a Donek with the pink flamingo topsheet and the other a guy in a blue jacket on a black board. Also met the new boarder-patroller who's interested in checking out a hardboot set-up. I told him Russ was the man.:biggthump

Hope to be back up on Thurs and/or Friday.

Oh man brutha'! That's windin' me UP!!!!

Spirit resumed operations today. It was a chilly one with wind chills around -25F+.

Good snow... Not the best groom. Some runs over on the Gandy side were mostly death cookies.

Still much fun was had and I'm tired. Whew.

Photo from moments ago as we're leaving, for the day.

20171227_172137.jpg

Edited by lonbordin

Light snow most of the day. Best runs were Bindle Stiff, Gandy Dancer, and Four Pipe.  Fairly busy today... temps were toasty... I think we hit a high of +3F.

Absolutely balmy. :smashfrea

Got to ride a few with Russ... he's one smooth patroller. :biggthump

20171228_121322.jpg

Edited by lonbordin

We were late to the hill BUT I got to ride with BWD so it worked out... Thanks Dave, always great to ride with a smooth rider.

It is pretty cold here... Spirit's changing operating hours to 10-4 for the next 3 days to protect the staff.  I expect some chalky goodness tomorrow on the hill.

• Thanks 1

Man... Russ' entry into Bindle Stiff... So smooth and deep... carves of legend.

Great day. Fit my Intuitions this morning, so toasty warm. Good thing as it was cold.  Ooo that wind! No pictures today, no way was I taking my hands out for that.

I'm loving those blue springs Russ! Got a few runs with them, sweet.

Kinda bummed about tomorrow but I respect the decision. Forecast is for warming up, w00t!

16 hours ago, lonbordin said:

Man... Russ' entry into Bindle Stiff... So smooth and deep... carves of legend.

Yea, edge to edge, right up to the trees. Following Russ down Bindle Stiff teaches you to take your time and enjoy the view (I think he says "smell the roses"), but one also discovers that the best snow for carving is often way over on the edge of the trail.

Jeez, a high of zero forecast for New Year's Day, no wind, clear and sunny skies, possible overnight flurries, and they've moved opening time from noon back to 10AM. Could be a nice start to the new year! Just might have to drive north tomorrow. Picture this...

5a4931f639a93_12-28-14(1).png.c8a74382eaa3bb7f5ebb376ceb3c5128.png

Happy new year!

• Like 1

Great riding with you guys today. Great carving from Double Jaw to Sky Hooker. Ran into boarder-patroller Don over on the Gandy side where the groom was hard. Russ would be impressed that I rode the same board all day! Sun, no crowds, riding big boards and watching lake Superior make snow and sending it to the U.P. Gorgeous full moon rise on drive home!

IMG_1763.JPG.7638f4ecf73d294e550ca76de4b4acf5.JPG