Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2017/18

bobble

1 hour ago, DonPablo said:

They were planning to practice I believe the email read along the lines of canceling because the snow was too soft, they weren’t going to run the toe rope and bad road conditions. They said they would practice Sunday. Why practice the last day of the year? The ski race program moto is  “learn to ski through endless drilling and infinite gate runs” and the Buck team has the power to open the hill early for themselves 

they have a motto?

lean to ski through endless drilling and infinite gate runs on the same damn short run? cuz lindsay? 

the power to open the hill for themselves?  so does that mean the ticket office is not open? they can just head over to olympic?

i wonder how the team compares to afton. chair 2 looks like it would be perfect for race training, not buck's Olympic. at some point Olympic is  going to hold them back.

Edited by bobble

34 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

...and they're grooming?!:confused: 

How early will they start for the ski team?

They might let anyone on early...part of the alpine snowboard team!

cannot tell if they groomed. last time when it snowed they groomed. if i recall, it was really slow snow. people were getting stuck at the flats.

expert the worst, hope for the best.

4/15/18

buck opened at 12pm but *some of us* could not wait. 

@bigwavedaveand i walked up milkrun before we got our lift tickets. when we got to the bottom there was already a line out the ticket office.

Buck Hill ProTip: go to ski school when line is long.

IMG_2401.thumb.JPG.513671b1ab00c2d890078af8a25b5089.JPG

lots of pow! thought they groomed but it seemed like the left the sides ungroomed. :biggthump

@DonPablo showed up. not only can randy carve on hardboots, he can carve on skis... even women skis... the perfect trifecta.

place was the absolutely packed. extremely long lift lines. crazy how many people crowded the runs. think it slowed down around 5pm.

IMG_2404.thumb.JPG.106082c4bfa0e2023df51ca4b7f852c6.JPG

it snowed continuously all day. 

randy and i made it till closing (6pm). dave quit around 5:15 pm (?) when we took a break. 

buck will try to be open next weekend. think they're be overly optimistic.

Edited by bobble

1 hour ago, BobD said:

I was trying to figure out what was weird about the Milk Run Cam this week. It's the shadows. Full snow coverage and with April shadow angles.

i see what you mean. 

no brown snow.

such a weird season.

4/21/18

slushy snow. didn't last 45 minutes on hardboots. switched to skis. last run i almost fell down. hit a spot where the skis suddenly slowed down and i flailed to keep from going down. 

in general, i suck.

22 hours ago, BobD said:

I was trying to figure out what was weird about the Milk Run Cam this week. It's the shadows. Full snow coverage and with April shadow angles.

the snow was finally turning brown. thinking that it accentuated the shadows.

Edited by bobble

4/22/18

think this is it. last day.

temp was around 57F. everyone in t-shirts.

slushy and mellow on softboots. dirt starting to show.

totals this season:

• Buck Hill: 58
  • Afton: 1
  • Welch: 5 (?)
  • Indianhead: 1
  • Spirit: 2

67 days of  boardom.

On 4/22/2018 at 4:17 PM, bobble said:

4/22/18

think this is it. last day.

temp was around 57F. everyone in t-shirts.

slushy and mellow on softboots. dirt starting to show.

totals this season:

• Buck Hill: 58
  • Afton: 1
  • Welch: 5 (?)
  • Indianhead: 1
  • Spirit: 2

67 days of  boardom.

I should have asked how many times I got a ticket at Buck. I'm guessing somewhere around 30-35, you are the champ Bob!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/18/2018 at 1:26 PM, Scuff said:

iGot my Buck season pass for 2018-2019.  I WILL make it out more this season.

Also - Remember to wear sunscreen.

For real, wear that sunscreen. The dermatologist is about to remove some pre-melanoma next week. The weaknesses of being Irish. Trying to get out more this season too, although, I never see anyone because I'm usually out from 6PM till close.

Did a lot of experimenting with binding and boot setup last winter. Came to the conclusion that loose boots are where it's at (for me) with the Track 325's. Seriously, I'm talking about the least amount of tension required to secure a good fit around your foot/calf area without heel lift. The combined absorption with the BTS and looser buckles of a softer boot made for a better ride, giving much deeper carves. I believe that a "looser" setup allows your body to contour more towards a flowy and progressive deep carve. 

Pointed a handful of people towards bomber. One grom has been scoping out a freecarve setup. Hoping to see at least one new convert to the darkside of alpine next season.

Edited by Awesomo12000

On 10/3/2018 at 2:11 AM, Awesomo12000 said:

Did a lot of experimenting with binding and boot setup last winter. Came to the conclusion that loose boots are where it's at (for me) with the Track 325's. Seriously, I'm talking about the least amount of tension required to secure a good fit around your foot/calf area without heel lift. The combined absorption with the BTS and looser buckles of a softer boot made for a better ride, giving much deeper carves. I believe that a "looser" setup allows your body to contour more towards a flowy and progressive deep carve.

I road for many years with boots that were sizes too big, if you want to free carve to the max, you need the flexibility. I prefer a boot that is laterally very stiff or my knees are dragging in the ground without the board/snow angles I want. With that said, I'm running the appropriate sized boots now (Track 700, no BTS), getting some heel lift in them, added some filler between the tongue and liner. Hokey but it works. Planning on getting the stiffer red tongues.

Buck added 3 (maybe 6?) electric car hook ups, so if you want that primo parking spot Bob, you'll need to trade in the SUV for an electric car...

11 hours ago, DonPablo said:

Buck added 3 (maybe 6?) electric car hook ups, so if you want that primo parking spot Bob, you'll need to trade in the SUV for an electric car...

primo you say? saw a tesla in parking lot last season.  he was picking up his kid.

three months into the future:

THE OWNER OF THE DARK TOYOTA HIGHLANDER LICENSE PLATE NUMBER 'I-D-G-A-F' PARKED AT THE TESLA CHARGING STATION... PLEASE MOVE YOUR CAR OR IT WILL BE TOWED"