Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2017/18

bobble

11/11/17

temperature mid 40's. snow was very carvable. grippy but slow. 

rode my Neveplast Debaser 163.

DSCN2447.thumb.JPG.23c40238002499cf3bda6ebac46def4e.JPG

milkrun was only open at the bottom half below tow-rope. 

teachers pet had chair running. unfortunately the line was excessive. 

only there to get my pass a make a few runs. lasted an hour. regardless, felt good to make a few turns.

squint and you can see a carved turn.

DSCN2446.thumb.JPG.fc504c871e07b5bcd7e9abbc35b6862c.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Buck looks pretty good from the web cam (cept the milk run camera, it looks like the lens is currently covered in snow/ice) I might venture out tomorrow evening. Still need to scrape a board, mount up the intecs and adjust bindings. I think this is the latest start to a season for me since college.

On 12/7/2017 at 9:39 AM, Scott.Creer said:

@DonPablo I look forward to your report. I was thinking about Sat. morning to get the dust off the summer legs. 

Snow was a bit soft for my liking but it was good, carvable. I think they could have the whole hill open by Saturday and it will probably be groomed pretty nicely.

1 hour ago, DonPablo said:

Snow was a bit soft for my liking but it was good, carvable. I think they could have the whole hill open by Saturday and it will probably be groomed pretty nicely.

I thought about going last night but when I saw the webcam I didn't want to deal with snow guns.

I'll be at Buck this Saturday but not in the morning... maybe around 11 am or later.

3 hours ago, bobble said:

I thought about going last night but when I saw the webcam I didn't want to deal with snow guns.

I'll be at Buck this Saturday but not in the morning... maybe around 11 am or later.

Went last night, the snow was really good. It's awesome that carving is becoming a trend now because i saw about 3 kids on some directionals RIPPING,. One kid was nearly laying out some alpine carves.

I might go out tomorrow but I need to get my boots refitted, I cant even enjoy riding right now lol. 

Expect to see a lot more carving on the hill next week! Buck and Gteam host the NorAm series Race to the Cup. 3 days of SL races starting Friday afternoon, Saturday & Sunday. Training days; Wed eve, Thur afternoon and Fri morning. Usually about 75 of the top riders from US and Canada competing and often a few Japanese and Korean riders too. Of course it means there will be less terrain available for free carving.

I hope to get out on snow for the first time on Monday morning at Buck. Counting on you guys to smooth out all the rough patches this weekend:eplus2:

And I plan to be out on the hill helping with the races next weekend.

12/9/17

34 minutes ago, Scott.Creer said:

This morning was pretty good. Not much open, and guns blazing. The snow was hard in some places soft in others. I lasted 2 hrs then called it. Got sporty quick with the race teams all over.

i got there maybe 10:45am. had to park near the buckstone. just missed you.

i was disappointed that the other runs were not available. snow was good on crossroads but the ski teams ended up taking both sides. it was congested. i had to wait a couple times.

milkrun had a team doing drills. it looked a little choppy so i didn't bother.

the backside was dicey.

lift line politics was more than i could tolerate. i left after an hour.

weird to see the owner of buck hill working as a lifty.

12/10/17

light was really flat this morning

crossroads had icy areas in a couple areas near towers and along edge of olympic. center of run was good.

milkrun had rolls in the run that were really hard to see. another skier complained about it too. i only went on milkrun when crossroads was busy. 

place is still not completely open. olympic has enough snow but they're hoarding it -- not groomed. 

12/12/17

flat light. cold. around 20F. snow guns turned on ever where. poor visibility.

crossroads had three snow guns placed under towers, middle of the run. should be fun. 

milkrun has more snow. mounds are starting to get bigger. they're building up the Nastar chute.

rest of place is still not open.

12/12/17 evening

Too soft to carve on crossroads without risk of pole vaulting. Milk run was good, but they put up a course for the ski nerds. Between the gates and lift was good, but the skiers eventually pushed a bunch of soft snow to the edges where I would carve. Olympic was open but I think that was covered with the Buck hill ski team.

37 minutes ago, bobble said:

12/14/17

yeah, there were a lot of hardbooters.

went at lunch. couldn't see with guns. soft snow.

And now on the webcam, mid-day grooming. Often, the host resort makes an extra effort to make course conditions optimal for the racers when it's a North American competition where racers are competing for points to qualify to race in the World Cup. The racers like it HARD. WC venues are required to groom the course a few days before the race and then rope it off and let it settle for a couple of days.

Hope the hill is in better shape tomorrow. Maybe I'll see you out there. Man, I hate this overcast. I'm not looking forward to riding in flat light on my first day out. 

12/16/17

crap light.
crap snow. crossroads felt like riding on marbles.
crap ski jammers. jfc. they overtook the runs.  
carving races going on. cool. :biggthump

aside from the excitement of the race, people like myself were transfixed at the guy cruising back and forth on crystal lake with a  parasail/kite on crystal lake.

I WANT

oh. and ms. bobble saw a hovercraft at the boat launch.

Edited by bobble
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2017 at 4:19 PM, bobble said:

aside from the excitement of the race, people like myself were transfixed at the guy cruising back and forth on crystal lake with a  parasail/kite on crystal lake.

I WANT

You can only go downwind with that setup. If he had ski boot skates (or long blades or even skis with very sharp edges) he could sail back to where he started. The sail looks like a SkimBat, which is a good sail, just a bit more complex and expensive than necessary. Made to appeal to windsurfers. My homemade sail works just as well yet is far simpler, plus one sails on the backside of the sail protected from cold wind. Here is an old video from 1990 on mirror ice in about 15mph wind on Lake Mille Lacs, reaching back and forth, tacking upwind and jibing downwind...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bobble said:

12/19/17

snow was not so great. there were rough areas on the towards bottom half and towards the towers.

it was carveable but really had to look out for bumps on the run.

You at Buck over Lunch?

I was out in the evening, you could really tell it thawed and froze. Lots of hard bumps where gates were set, made for some nice little jumps. The whole hill looked to be open minus the half pipe. The lifties on the far quad looked to be board out of their minds. 

12/22/17

took day off. went riding in morning. snow was epic! :biggthump

cruising down run. look up at chair. a skier has his cellphone out pointed at me.

heston2.jpg.69a7705dfdcfb6516dafded2f51fb8cf.jpg

later. top of run. a different skier. says "you are really arcing your turns... you are fun to watch."

heston.jpg.6ba67c21a2135d65547a25263a5ac737.jpg

12/25/17

trent, randy, karl, bobd (on skis), and late to the party...  alex.

early morning it was bad light. eventually got slightly better just when people started to take off.

snow was decent.

place seemed busier than usual for christmas eve riding.

trent thinks buck needs to paint the lift line buildings. i hadn't noticed how decrepit it looks. the paint is literally falling off.

DSCN2520.JPG

• Like 1