Note to New Members ×

Beast 2018

Bobby Buggs

Went today with Mrs Buggs. I expected mid winter condish but it was pretty hard and there were many cookies about. Its getting harder to come back each season, at 55 Im starting to wonder if I will make it to 60.  I need to keep in mind its still before Christmas and there has not been significant snow fall yet but man my legs were chirping at me.

I was speaking with the owners and they said they still have not gotten to peak output capacity from the snow making system but expect to be full on by next week. 

Also heard they got the parts for that down lift and it will start turning by Christmas week.

Edited by Bobby Buggs
  • Like 1

I'm not working there.  We just have not had the cold weather we need for solid snowmaking, the last week or so has been pretty decent.  Any time Berkshire East opens well before christmas time is usually rough and kinda like a bonus.  I think once things are in full swing and with the new trail, the carving will only get better!  All I  need to do is get a decent carving board!

• 2 weeks later...

I was there on Sunday and it was very good carving conditions.  Big Chief, War Dance, and Exhibition were all excellent.  Snow was packed firm and the groom was spot on.  It was cold and windy.  I stayed away from Competition due to SL event most of the day.  The Wilderness Quad was finally spinning and the West Lodge was open and serving hot food. 

The new trails didn't have much coverage so I stayed away. Hemlock wasn't open yet, but they were blowing tons of snow on it.  I expect with the snow coming tomorrow, this weekend they should be nearly 100% open.  I'm thinking about going back Sunday or Saturday.  Undecided which day.

• Like 1

Exhibition was a mess. More people than I've seen at the Beast ever, thin coverage in the middle, no coverage on either side. Lots of small rocks in the snow. Frozen puddles. Snow guns sitting right on the run, but turned off. If I were management, those would have been blasting nonstop the second it dropped below 28 degrees or so on Saturday to repair the damage from the rainy warm weather. Just blow snow in piles on the uncovered sides of the run and after closing, push the piles out on the rest of the run. 

I hope tomorrow is better, but given the lack of snowmaking, I'm not sure how it could be. 

I decided to stay local today and went to Crotched in NH.  Similarly disappointing.  It was a frustrating combination of terrible snow quality (read "ice, rocks, and dirt") and crazy crowded.  Of the two groomed runs (one Blue, one Green), the Blue had gates set for the race team.  At least the snow guns were all on at full force.