Note to New Members ×

Banff/Nakiska 2017/2018

Allee

First week of November, and we're open for business! Norquay and Nakiska were open this weekend. Sunshine opens on Friday Nov 10. Picking that KHMR will open earlier than scheduled (they've posted crazy vids of 3ft of snow at the top).

Anyone go up to Nakiska this weekend? I was in Banff for the Film Festival and there looked to be plenty of snow on the hills.

I was up at Nakiska on Saturday with the kids for opening day. The lower mountain was pretty thin and not open.  They are going to need a lot of snow making to get coverage, but are rumored to be opening the lower mountain this weekend.  Everyone uploaded and downloaded on Olympic chair.  Upper and Middle mapmaker were the only runs open off the gold chair, plus the glades (thin).  Conditions were cold and way icier and hardpacked than I expected with all the recent snowfall.  

I was up there with my kids on Sunday, soft bootin it. The conditions on Sunday seem better than Saturday, it was actually pretty good. Mapmaker was in mid season form I would say. They usually (or at least used to) blow this run first so it could be used for pre-season training, I am thinking that they still do that and open it to the public on the weekends to catch some more revenue. We didn't check out the glades (my boys are 7 and 9), but it looked like there was lots of snow elsewhere up top. It was super crowded on the one run, but lots of fun and no rocks. I wouldn't be comfortable on plates in that type of crowd, but I did see someone leaving with a carving board as we got there at noon. It certainly met (and probably exceeded) my expectations for getting a few turns in on the first weekend in November. 

• 2 months later...

Ugh, Silver is down for maintenance again? It had better be open by the weekend.

Any of the locals going up this weekend? I'll be at a crossfit competition all next weekend, so I'm probably going to head up this Sunday. I could be talked into Saturday if anyone else is going.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I'll be visiting from the Greater Bahston Area next week 3/6-3/10. Advice needed!

What's the report from the slopes?  Should I expect fresh snow or all groomed slopes? Should I bring my all mountain softboot gear or my hardboots and Coiler Nirvana?

What do you think?

• 1 month later...

I have my free day to use, and that will be it for the season for me. The motorcycle comes out of the garage on Sunday, and the boards will be waxed up and put away.

Anyone interested in going up Saturday? Current forecast for K Country looks better for Saturday than Sunday.

When you say "there", where do you mean? I'll be in Nakiska on Thursday, and Sunshine Village on Friday and Saturday. 

10 hours ago, Allee said:

I have my free day to use, and that will be it for the season for me... The boards will be waxed up and put away.

Nooo, don't go! There's another 2 months for the season! Come out and play!

Edited by CarveAlbertaToMe

Ha! I leave for two weeks in New Zealand mid-April, and when I come back it's motorcycle time (or it had bloody better be, it's been the longest winter ever).

Good season this year though. Good conditions, good friends, good riding. No complaints.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, garybergmann said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sunshine on friday, eh?  What to bring tho?  AM Carving board, freecarve board, bx board, AM softy board?  All of the above?

Perhaps a BX board? I'll be preparing for Sunshine's Banked and Style competition that's on Saturday, so expect lots of crashes. 

Any idea where's a good place to send my old board for edge work in Canmore or Banff? I want to set my edges with 1 degree bevel on the base, and 2 degrees bevel on the sides. Would Nakiska's rental shop be able to do this?

Edited by CarveAlbertaToMe

• 1 month later...