Note to New Members ×

Carver Skateboards and Longboarding

Gabe T

After taking up longboarding in recent years, I picked up a used Carver setup from a local guy last year.  Didn't spend too much time on it until this past summer.  It took a while to get used to it as the setup is a lot higher than I had been accustomed to.   Just standing on it the first time felt very wobbly with the loose feeling of the trucks.  

Eventually, I started to mix in some regular stance riding. (I’m a natural goofy foot).   I recall a thread a few years ago about trying to carve your opposite / mirrored stance on an alpine board.   The Carver is actually a pretty ideal tool to learn this as I found the motion of bigger turns quite similar to alpine riding.  When I first tried riding regular, it felt every bit as awkward as when I experimented on a carving board for the first time.   The nice thing on the board is that you have the benefit of hopping off and switching back any time you want.  : )   I hadn’t quite nailed down the motion of quicker pumping with a regular stance  here but have since made some improvements.

Here’s a longboard video from a couple years ago.   I learned some longboard dancing and some basic slides and pivot tricks.  (Took a lot of board time to cautiously figure things out!)

• Like 2