Note to New Members ×

Official/Unofficial ATC 2018 thread

Corey

With the official Aspen Trenching Convention being cancelled for 2018, let's make an unofficial version!  

Location: The four mountains of Aspen, CO.  Epic for carving. Options from green cruisers to steep black groomers, not to mention the crazy free-skiing options.  

Date: February 3-9, Saturday to Friday. 

Pureboarding is in Aspen Jan 29 - Feb 8, 2018, which conveniently overlaps.  We want to avoid X-Games Jan 25 - 28, 2018 and President's day is Feb 19, 2018 for the hoards of people they bring.  

Details: Meet with carving friends and ride awesome open and uncrowded runs.  Then get right back on the lift and do it again because there are few other people there.  Clap for awesomeness; laugh at less-than-awesome moments (after you make sure they're ok).  

Demo tent: No demo tent, just gear swapping with buddies, old and new.  

Post-event activities: Laugh with buddies, new and old.  Someplace that has both food and beer.  

Schedule: Updated Feb 7:

Saturday, Feb 3 - Buttermilk.  Meet at the bottom of Summit Express lift at 9:30 AM.  Lifts open at 9, so you can get one run in if you're early, or just come for 9:30 if you don't care.  Get on lift at 9:40.  Opening gathering at Bumps in main lodge at 4 PM.  

Sunday, Feb 4 - Ajax (Aspen Mtn).  Meet at the bottom of Silver Queen gondola at 9:00 AM. Get on gondola by 9:10.  Beginners/intermediates can play around Ajax Express lift.  Steep lovers can hit FIS chair then Ruthies.  

Monday, Feb 5 - Highlands - subject to change.  Meet at the Exhibition lift at 9 AM.   Get on lift at 9:10.

Tuesday, Feb 6 - Ajax (Aspen Mtn).  Meet at the bottom of Silver Queen gondola at 9:00 AM. Get on gondola by 9:10.  

Wednesday Feb 7 - Snowmass at 9.

Thursday Feb 8 - Highlands. Meet at the Exhibition lift at 9 AM. 

Friday Feb 9 at Ajax (Aspen Mtn). Meet at the bottom of Silver Queen gondola at 9:00 AM.

I'll go with a tentative yes (for 4 days). We also need to plan lodging. Last year I stayed with Arne at The Inn at Aspen. Right at the base of Buttermilk. Fairly nice but not crazy expensive. Arne is a maybe this year because he is undergoing a knee replacement.  

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to let all of you snow starved people know that I'm working with Mt. Bachelor, Oregon for a tentative carving session April 4-7.  Demo boards, boots and bindings included.  Also discounted tickets if we get more than 20 people to commit.  They have an elusive marketing department, but I will post more details.  There will most likely be an earlier session or two at some other NW locations.  TBA

Edited by Keenan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

This thread is for what Corey announced...let's try to keep it that way...announcing other get togethers, or just maybe, let's all meet here, is really confusing to someone who actually is trying to respond to his original post...

My apologies.

On 9/26/2017 at 6:05 PM, barryj said:

Me..............and let's get a unofficial TTC and/or June Mtn. Carvers Classic going in March also!!!!

Did you remember to scold everyone?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SEJ said:

Feb 3 - Feb 9 makes the best sense. Let's make it official!

FYI, these were the planned dates for the official ATC (or 4th till 10th technicaly, which works better for me if I go). Someone more familiar than I might even be able to call around to see what might have already been started before it was canceled (mountain acomidations and Donek even?) 

Any who, I am definitely interested in attending! 

Edited by AcousticBoarder

On 10/24/2017 at 3:39 AM, Mellow Yellow said:

Tab... So when do we get to visit???

You can visit whenever you want ... but there is NO vertical in Latvia and I am living in a hotel ... but friendly faces are always welcome in these dark days. A point; at the deepest point of winter, I believe I can expect 6hours of light!

So it looks like there wasn't enough interest to commit to the Bomber House. So we're all going to have to make other plans for lodging. 

I roomed with Arne last year at the Inn at Aspen (base of Buttermilk). It was pretty nice and not crazy expensive. However Arne had a knee replacement in September and can't commit to riding at this point. 

So, I'm still interested in lodging maybe at The Inn at Aspen if I can share a room with someone else. Otherwise I may go back to the St Moritz along with Corey, etc. 

1 hour ago, John E said:

So it looks like there wasn't enough interest to commit to the Bomber House. So we're all going to have to make other plans for lodging. 

I roomed with Arne last year at the Inn at Aspen (base of Buttermilk). It was pretty nice and not crazy expensive. However Arne had a knee replacement in September and can't commit to riding at this point. 

So, I'm still interested in lodging maybe at The Inn at Aspen if I can share a room with someone else. Otherwise I may go back to the St Moritz along with Corey, etc. 

I'm planning Monday through Friday, leaving Friday evening.  I did the same with arnie a few years ago, it is a pretty good deal with decent amenities, I could stay there again

Mario