Note to New Members ×

Vancouver's Carvers' Diaries 2017/18

BlueB

Sunday's ruts are still frozen on Midway :) ... 

Another sunny day, a bit colder though, but not by much. JJA was solid sheet of ice. Mixed conditions on other runs. Lots of rocks on Horizon. We need more snow (hopefully Saturday?). 

OES SL was a blast to ride. 

My buddy Mike is back on skis after many years... It was a bit comical giving ski tips from a snowboard, but hey, it' the same sport anyhow ;) 

Edited by BlueB

Great snow again! Midway held right through the day. Lots if people after 11am, on other runs... 

I had a 2 hr private with a new rider Nikita, polishing his soft boot skills, before his planned jump to hard boots. It went great. 

We had a brief glimpse of Tony, shredding Collins into pieces, on softies. 

Caught up with Patrick in the pm at Midway... 

Toys: Teaching - Arbor at 24/9; Carving - OES Loony at 60/55... 

Edited by BlueB

Merry Christmas everyone! 

Roy, Luka and I went for a morning spin and also ran into Tony. Crowd was ok for about 2 hours, visibility too. Raven chair ran too, but it's still sketchy in the lower reaches... 

I was on skis for the first time this season. Luka is now faster then me... 

Hi Phil! 

Other day, someone visiting from Hemlock told me they had better pack then us. 

If you were after fresh snow at Cypress,, Thursday and Friday have the best chances. I should be up every day from tomorrow to Saturday, to take Luka for his trainings. I don't know yet if I'll be scheduled to work or not. The rest of the carving crew has pass blackout until after the New Year. 

It snowed all day today, however not a huge accumulation. A lot more coming tonight and tomorrow! 

I rode with Jerry through the morning. We did all open runs (and some that were not ;) ), except the Sky Chair. 

Run of the day: Windjammer 

Toy: Tanker 

Pow day at Cypress. Pretty deep at untouched spots, yet somewhat heavy. Got tracked out quickly, if course. 
Poaching the Bowen and Mogul run was quite sweet. The First Sun... well not so much. Actually I hated my life, getting stuck in all those hidden trees and branches in lower half. 
Toy: 3800 
Crew: Tony, Patrick, B

Lots of snow again. It started with rain at the bottom of Raven, turning to sleet just 100m up. Later in the day it turned to propper wet snow, that intensified as the day progressed... 

No one from regular crew rode today... 

Toys: Coiler AMT 169w and Pure Boarding Bastard 162. The later one is an interesting board. I need few more outings on it before I come up with a verdict. 

Day 21 of the season and my last for 2017... It was a great year. 

15146937866480.jpg.e4299c1ab66f8f98bf501a9ce142733b.jpg

Bluebird and huge crowd, poor grooming. Ah well... 

Toys: Loony and Bastard 

Happy New Year everyone, I'll see you all mid-Jan. 

Edited by BlueB

Tuesday January 2, 2018. HNY!

Groomers. Cloudy. Excellent visibility.

Anyhow, rode the OES BX 162.

When I first tried it last Thursday, it was difficult to ride. This morning, I used a file to detune the tip and tail. I'm guessing the board has some crazy race edges on it. Much better after the detune.