Note to New Members ×

Carvings back on the menu!

lonbordin

1 hour ago, softbootsurfer said:

Interesting...Float from wider noses...more surface area to stay up and out of the Pow...I am sure it is just me, but I dislike wide noses for that very reason...harder to get into the pow, while once below the surface they load up and hold you down..

My O-Sin 4807 solved the 'sub' effect by having a 'boat-hull' nose that creates a very distinct shallow 'V' from the prow, and, in the upwards curvature is very stiff, as it's bonded along a plastic rib. The whole of the shovel, ahead of your edge-contact point, then is solid, with the 'hinge' for flex being where the edge starts to be effective on hardpack. I've gone into woods where a log was hidden under a pillow, and had that nose just loft right up and over, where a more conventional board (such as my World Wide) would've 'stubbed it's nose' on such an obstacle. The downside is when back on groomers and haulin' along, the tip of the shovel starts to oscillate and flap up+down; A bit disconcerting, but it lets ya know you're motoring along.

30 minutes ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

My O-Sin 4807 solved the 'sub' effect by having a 'boat-hull' nose that creates a very distinct shallow 'V' from the prow, and, in the upwards curvature is very stiff, as it's bonded along a plastic rib. The whole of the shovel, ahead of your edge-contact point, then is solid, with the 'hinge' for flex being where the edge starts to be effective on hardpack. I've gone into woods where a log was hidden under a pillow, and had that nose just loft right up and over, where a more conventional board (such as my World Wide) would've 'stubbed it's nose' on such an obstacle. The downside is when back on groomers and haulin' along, the tip of the shovel starts to oscillate and flap up+down; A bit disconcerting, but it lets ya know you're motoring along.

Not just the sub effect Eric, but the surface area is not conducive to Dive and Fly like skis, is what I have always noticed since jumping onboard, have you ever seen a narrow Pow board with squal stance angles? when it comes to pow, who cares? It's All Good !  I just preferred my days in Bottomless steep pow on skis, to how I have to stay above on my snowboards...it is just a personal choice from my powder experiences on both pieces of equipment...your O Sin sounds like a Winner as well...Pow is always a Dream, a Good Dream :biggthump

Edited by softbootsurfer

2 hours ago, billyt. said:

I hope they bring back those day glow graphics!  Thanks for sharing the pics.  I would love to try one of those "new" powder boards to see how they ride.  That Sims board was pretty soft flex if I remember?

those early fakies from the volkl ski factory had a lot of spring and the 152 would ollie my then 175 pounds better than anything built in the us at the time, and out carved the burton air and k2 gyrator

Edited by b0ardski

I love the OSin / Dynastars too, both versions. The 4807 178 is one of the floatiest boards ever and hauls ass in deep and steep when there's space. The 3800 169 I ride when I know I'll end up in moguls or trees... 

I don't know why you guys like to go "under". For me the greatest fun in pow is gliding the top like a surfboard and using the board flex and base to carve the turns. 

How did we ended up "pow riding" in a carving renaissance thread? Back to topic... 

Edited by BlueB

17 hours ago, b0ardski said:

I agree that round or pointy end of the nose shape is not necessary in pow

if and only if you didn't ride in bush-powder ;) round or better pointed nose is yes-yes when riding in tight forest with not completely buried bushes. and I "know" what I'm talking about..

• Like 1

Just back from ISPO, which is pretty similar to SIA. Maverick was part of the Tailgate Alaska section, which was perfect. Great response for my new line of boards, explaining that they are longboards - not long boards - tuned for carving and big pow days, even die hard freestylers saw the idea behind my shapes.

I'm bummed that I will not make it over to US this season so you guys can try. (I have a great deal with free shipping though) And yes they work great with hardboots. But I just love to crank G's with my soft set up. Flow NX2s + Ride Insano boots. Riding 20/35 deg I carve steep slopes with hard man made snow.

Carve or die!

Mats

Skärmavbild 2017-02-10 kl. 08.10.16.png

• Like 1

On 2017-02-05 at 8:04 PM, H2O said:

I am looking at the Cheater and I'd like to buy it.

Is it possible to ride it with hardboots?

Sure is. I sold a couple of them to hardbooters. Waist width (25,5) is not an issue for getting on edge. The nose shape and early rise/rocker makes it a real pcket rocket.

Oh, thank you very much for your answer.

I was looking at the Cheater beacause it is narrower than Pipeliner (for hardboots), and a bit shorter.

Please, may be correct my choice? To use it as an allround board (powder but also variable snows and carving on slopes.....).....

And, what's the stance of inserts? I have seen in your website 54 cm, in the middle? .... as I ride with a stance of 49-50 cm.  

Thanks again.

Edited by H2O

3 hours ago, H2O said:

Oh, thank you very much for your answer.

I was looking at the Cheater beacause it is narrower than Pipeliner (for hardboots), and a bit shorter.

Please, may be correct my choice? To use it as an allround board (powder but also variable snows and carving on slopes.....).....

And, what's the stance of inserts? I have seen in your website 54 cm, in the middle? .... as I ride with a stance of 49-50 cm.  

Thanks again.

Cheater is a great choice. 46 is smallest stance without sliding bindings inwards. So 50 is no probs. Board is a great carver for tighter turns 9,5 m radius. There's a lot of  setback and long nose so it's a great hard boot pow board.

On 2/8/2017 at 10:24 PM, softbootsurfer said:

...Float from wider noses...more surface area to stay up and out of the Pow...I am sure it is just me, but I dislike wide noses for that very reason...harder to get into the pow, while once below the surface they load up and hold you down...having skied as well for many years prior to snowboarding, there is no comparrison to how you can get down and into the pow on Skis opposed to snowboards and their huge amount of surface area which limits your ability to dive and fly like skis, ...

I think you'll find that they're not skiing powder on Miller Softs any more. Seriously, powder skis now work broadly like snowboards, for the reasons you say there - I was riding with people on skis (138) which were combined wider than most snowboards. The reason is precisely the comparison. 

That said, many modern snowboards ride low, although the Spring Break isn't one of them. None of us are numpty enough to look down, but from the Fish (1997?) onwards many modern boards ride pretty low in the powder.

If you really want to get down into it then telemark skis are the best approach, from the photographer's perspective at least.