Note to New Members ×

Carvings back on the menu!

lonbordin

Most mountains would be Unridable if even 5% of the Boarders were Carvers...Carving requires way more space on the slope than people hucking themselves silly in the terrain parks...same with the Pow, I can be doing a Pow run here by myself, only to look over at the the line of Skiers and Boarders waiting to huck themselves off something :biggthump 

• Like 1

Hardbooting/purecarving is, indeed, a strange sport.  I just had to level with three of my best long-time skiing buddies that I had been going it alone all this season because they would never want to ski the terrain I have been trying to hone my carving skills on.  Every run I would ski with them would take one skill improvement run away from my quest to carve like Corey, and many of you do.

I have not seen even one other hardbooter on the mountain this season but I have enjoyed the hell out of every solo run I've made.

New boards/equipment/approaches injected into this sport are welcome, I guess.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BlueB said:

I wonder if this is our beloved Proto in a new package? 

Couldn't find it on Nidecker's site, though. 

I was thinking the same.

Check out lonbordin's link to Nidecker's catalog for next year to check out photos. There's no specs other than prescribed length for weight ranges, just marketing speak. The stuff on Nidecker's site is this year's gear.

Carving is cool, wth?  Awesome to see some attention to setting the edge!  Its funny how similar the board outlines of this new board market are to each other.  I would love to get my hands on some of them to check out the flex and camber patterns.

I will be getting this one for next season from Peter Bauer's company, the Amplid Pentaquark!  From Boardsource, "The Pentaquark is the trench-carving, piste-destroyer which flies down a Banked Slalom course too."

Amplid-Pentaquark-e1485103358352.jpg

This is me carving Amplid's all purpose freeride board, the Creamer, a few days ago.  The Pentaquark is going to absolutely rip!

IMG_4899.jpg

Edited by Buell
  • Like 2

On 2/3/2017 at 6:44 PM, SkoonyMcGroomer said:

Never Summer is marketing carving on their Shaper Series boards... Also Bob Ross style afros.

Utter codswallop! These marketing people seem to be suggesting that a tool that was specifically designed for me to scrape mounds of fresh snow off the mountain or ride naturally occurring metal objects on the trail could be used to "carve" a turn? I'm pretty sure that if this sort of thing were possible, the tastemakers at Burton would have been pushing it years ago... Even the names are patently bogus. Like anyone would name a board "Nidecker"...

The sidecut on that NS looks eerily like the lesser sidecut on my '93 Gordo FF, so, it's around 8M? I think my Gordo would still out arc it, and that's without using Plate bindings. I hope their warranty goes 2 decades, then it might also outlast my Gordo? 

LML, Nidecker is a family name, like Barfoot is. At least it isn't 'barf' when shortened! (Sorry Chuck, truly, I apologize, Dude!)

More... Snowboards FW17/18 Trend Report ...carving...

"FREESTYLE CARVING  

Now it’s got a decent name, the carving trend is locking in and leaning over."

Now it's called?!?  :barf:

Leaning over?!  Looks like breaking at the waist is the new hotness... sigh.

rsz_thierry_kunz_photo_david_carlier_3.j

Nitro-1.jpg

Edited by lonbordin
Eye candy didn't insert first time.

The Maverick boards are super cool.  I'm riding the Superswede with Bomber powerplates and softies.  I can't push it around like when riding hardboots...  but the board rails and is super fun.  Tons of edge on this 192cm board.  It takes a lot more precision and balance to carve on it, compared to hardboots, so I'm having a blast.  I have a new Pipeliner on order and am very excited for riding it when it shows up.  Attaching a photo of some arcs I made last week...  

tom.

img_0127_121100.jpg

• Like 1

I was just discussing with Charliechocolate, earlier today... all these new shapes have a distinct kink in curvature transition, from sidecut to nose outline. It seems to be a fashion thing, but can not be very good for smooth ride. I mean, the race (and pow) board manufacturers spent decades to optimize that transition to as smooth and efficient as possible, shape. It was proven to work, now these clowns are back with bumpy noses :( 

don't need a nose on a carve board, we know that. but I like soft snow and switch, so I'll never buy a board with a stubby nose or tail

pow boards benefit from a long taper on the nose as well as a tall rise,like my 25 yr old grocer (which carved well when new) as well as modern pow skis like my wife's sheeva's.

They're not going to reinvent the wheel; but a board that carves well AND floats in pow both directions is the holy grail for me

Edited by b0ardski