Note to New Members ×

Pogo's in America

wesleywarren

13 hours ago, LiquidEarth808 said:

Sounds like Shaman would be more like Das Undertaker

my friend owns shaman which I've rode couple of times. it is longer and slimmer version of secret spot, not at all comparable with u198. and - btw - u198 from 90ies in no way comparable with later undertakers which produced only in 185 length (ther have wood core vs. thc+ core in u198).

re nils & copper nose: i don't think it look cheapish, but surely it can be removed - all pogo noses done in simple plastic (in photo you can see deep cut blitz nose - by blindsided skier's ski:), so - theoretically - there's nothing to protect in them, nose trauma do no structurally damage board, only cosmetically.

re h2o: sorry for opposing your opinion, all that youtube videos of some japanese carving on pogo swallowtails... i'm 95kg and pretty aggressive, and I do not trust them at all. surely I can carve (with different success:) any board incl childish shortboards, but pogo swallowtails - both secret spot and shaman - do not carve that well and do not obey to aggressive handling. they're surfboards, or gliders, not carvers or rippers. maybe I need them ordered in stiffer version, do not know. I have no problem floating on secret spot in deepest continental powder or charge virgin mixed-condition couloir, but when the snow was chopped and broken - fun ends. you can dance in ongoing proto-moguls much longer on u198 btw. all in all - swellpanik's is lotta much universal FREERIDE boards than pogo swallowtails

one single pogo which i dream for is custom freeride longboard for hardboots: like donek axxess 182 or coiler 177am -- ~180cm long ~21cm wide ~14m cut with rockered freeride nose and built STIFF - based not on swallowtail core but on alpine pogo core. universal charger with which you can visit any unknown alpine terrain and have fun.

one of some 10 rides on secret spot in hardboots. trying to glide and not overpower it.... in usual mega-fun chopped soft conditions:

hwost1.jpg

Edited by terekhov

5 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

What's the base material on that Blue one?!  Looks like a more-colorful variant of the early Madds base??

only saw madds ptex on photos, never saw one... yes, older pogo bases are artsy (they ordered them at original ptex manufacture which is in germany too):

DSC05858.JPG

Edited by terekhov

54 minutes ago, terekhov said:

but pogo swallowtails - both secret spot and shaman - do not carve that well and do not obey to aggressive handling. they're surfboards, or gliders, not carvers or rippers. maybe I need them ordered in stiffer version, do not know. I have no problem floating on secret spot in deepest continental powder or charge virgin mixed-condition couloir, but when the snow was chopped and broken - fun ends.

Yeah, that sounds like they need some selective stiffening. I say 'selective' because obviously, the flex is part of the reason they Float so well, and, also, sense pressure inputs that makes you NOT want to Push until you Sink.  That's a tough call, but I've been on really nice 'flexy' pow boards that gave you great feedback, and made you want to only push-so-hard, thus staying afloat, IF you Relaxed Enuff. When I was at Flagstaff, AZ, back in '87, I got on a Winterstick Roundtail 175, but thankfully mounted with '85 Barfoot bindings (similar to Sims Grell's, but made of softer plastics), and in Sorel McKinley's, it was magical n that deep, light fluff. I can still recall feeling the gentle rebound as it drifted through the virgin snow; Very much 'Surfing on air'. That Roundtail would've Died an early death back home in VT, probably within a day or two. The snow here is rarely 'gentle', or soft.

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

5 hours ago, terekhov said:

re h2o: sorry for opposing your opinion, all that youtube videos of some japanese carving on pogo swallowtails... i'm 95kg and pretty aggressive, and I do not trust them at all. surely I can carve (with different success:) any board incl childish shortboards, but pogo swallowtails - both secret spot and shaman - do not carve that well and do not obey to aggressive handling. they're surfboards, or gliders, not carvers or rippers. maybe I need them ordered in stiffer version, do not know. I have no problem floating on secret spot in deepest continental powder or charge virgin mixed-condition couloir, but when the snow was chopped and broken - fun ends. you can dance in ongoing proto-moguls much longer on u198 btw. all in all - swellpanik's is lotta much universal FREERIDE boards than pogo swallowtails

one single pogo which i dream for is custom freeride longboard for hardboots: like donek axxess 182 or coiler 177am -- ~180cm long ~21cm wide ~14m cut with rockered freeride nose and built STIFF - based not on swallowtail core but on alpine pogo core. universal charger with which you can visit any unknown alpine terrain and have fun.

I agree!

The Shaman is a surfboard, not a carving board (I've never seen it is a board to carve) but due to the long effective it has a good edge hold to be used on different snows, also on the slope.

I know that its  tapered shape isn't ideal for carving like, for example, the longboard (no taper) or others boards as you say.

Swellpaniks are good boards, I liked them a lot, but I consider more qualitative Pogos and Shaman better to ride in hardboots (waist 23,5).

In the Pogo catalog I like very much the longboards (mostly the 170) to ride as an universal FREERIDE board. In the past I had other similar boards, like Dupraz, but I consider Pogo longboards best of all.   

olen1 170411.jpg

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_6145.JPG

Edited by H2O
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Yeah, that sounds like they need some selective stiffening.

maybe, maybe not... surely I've got the idea behind pogo swallowtails, they're good boards in their own way, but not completely my cup of tea. it is not about board, they ride understandably and honorably, but for MY freeride - how I prefer to control powder under me - I prefer u198 (incl. in tight woods). or - libtech banana hammock in softies, if I want something verrry different :)

7 hours ago, H2O said:

In the Pogo catalog I like very much the longboards (mostly the 170) to ride as an universal FREERIDE board. In the past I had other similar boards, like Dupraz, but I consider Pogo longboards best of all

yet again lovely shaman! my friend own one with ptex topshit - like my secret spot base - so it have almost equal top and bottom :) thing of beauty too, and no snow sticking to it.

i generally dislike wood veneer topshits - coz they surely develop cracks due to imminent hard knocks (can be seen on top of my secret spot in photos)

secret spot on harder snow (harder windpack e.g.) is no fun at all, and I prefer to sideslip or straightline it, depending on situation :

surely widish boards is not suitable for hardboot usage -- I hate riding boards with boots inside them, and hardboots is not fun to ride at low angles

one local guy owns pogo L80 longboard, but I never seen it yet... seems like shape which bring prior spearhead and lotta similar shapes in existance.  like swallow-nose added to classic cambered freeride board. and they had - once upon a time - double-concave version of it!!!! imagine? there's two concaves starting shallow at between bindings, and increases in depth till the end - like rocket exhausters for snow! interesting ride for sure, probably add stability like fins on surfboards (or swallow tail)

Edited by terekhov

As always, rider preference, location, snow character and quality affect the experience. "Cheap looking plastic nose protector" is supposed to be hand forged copper.  I can borrow Das Undertaker for comparison,  I think both lengths...Just got Dupraz D1 6'++ and love it.  Rode Rad-Air Tanker 192 on hard snow (felt like an Aircraft Carrier) the day before D1.  D1 felt tiny, yet never undergunned. Donek feels like a Gazelle or Cheetah while the D1 felt like a Pit Bull on the groomers. Got to surf it on some windblown cream.   Waiting for release of D1 6' 3".  Really fun amazing board. Just need a phat POW day for more test runs...

Sounds like the L80 has the Alpine core. Also, almost no taper...

30.7  25.3  30.5

Anyone other than Wesley ride a Maverick? 

DSC_0647.JPG

Edited by LiquidEarth808
Clarification
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, LiquidEarth808 said:

Rode Rad-Air Tanker 192 on hard snow (felt like an Aircraft Carrier) 

Anyone other than Wesley ride a Maverick? 

Interesting, I have a Tanker 192, I find it extremely nimble, for a board of that size... It's probably my preferred board for slush and afternoon groomers on softer snow days. It can both plow or play the terrain features. 

I have few Mavericks, but not that one... ;) The only and original Pure Carve woody, and a Santa Cruz 183 (Tanker 182 in disguise). 

• Like 1

Tanker rode like a PT Boat, felt nimble for size.  I will get a chance to test on soft snow.  Made nice turns on groomers.  I might not have the body mass to make it come alive.  Seemed enormous... Full deep camber which is preferred.  I rode Donek AX 172 which rides like Cigarette off-shore powerboat (27' as opposed to 33') day before Tanker so that made it seem XXL.

POGO Maverick to clarify, I  think I saw a brand called "Maverick"

H20

Alagna is primo Shaman territory 

How many days in a good snow season do you pull it out?

Edited by LiquidEarth808
Clarification

12 hours ago, LiquidEarth808 said:

Sounds like the L80 has the Alpine core. Also, almost no taper...

30.7  25.3  30.5

there's (almost) no need for alpine core in softboot freeride boards, even reefer in 19cm waist don't have one! on L80 - don't really know until I ride it (which is possibly never:). nice catek collection BTW!! I have wc+olympic+os2 somewhere in house too :) didn't ride them for years though - prefer softness of f2 with old thin bails. taper? any time I trade taper for shallow sidecut in powder boards! furberg (with it cheapish build quality, I mean original full rocker version) with 17m sidecut glides waaaay better than any ~9m "powder" board. and you must know just that, owning that euphoria split..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, terekhov said:

one local guy owns pogo L80 longboard, but I never seen it yet... seems like shape which bring prior spearhead and lotta similar shapes in existance.  like swallow-nose added to classic cambered freeride board. and they had - once upon a time - double-concave version of it!!!! imagine? 

That's what I'm trying to find out - if that double concave L80 was 23cm at the waist... 

2 hours ago, BlueB said:

That's what I'm trying to find out - if that double concave L80 was 23cm at the waist... 

if it not custom - no, usual shape w/25cm waist. 23cm waisted boards from pogo - on alpine core! - is overdose/impact bx - with roundtail

reading pogo.biz site there's wingerguns currently that are double concaved! L80 double concave was out years ago. maybe can be ordered as custom... need to ask pogo gurus

Can anyone comment on the new Pogo Venado 167?  I am particularly interested in the 6.5m SCR and how it handles bigger turns.

This is from Pogo's web site:

The venado is the newest powderboard added to the POGO quiver. Agile, versatile and a bit shorter it carries to the lovers of turning in snow that have a hard time choosing between an allmountain board and a powderboard. No need to worry about such questions any longer, just go for the venado. It's the right choice for those unforgetable runs in fresh powder, no matter where you go. Tight tree runs, steep wide open faces. On the grommers you can carve precise turns and inbetween you can pop some ollies or slash some butters with ease. Everything you choose to do is possible, effortlessly and with full control.

First of all a powderboard needs to float in that magic fresh snow and there's no exception for our newest and shortest one. The elaborate nose rocker, the setback and most of all the maximum surface of the nose guarantee to stay afloat even after huge dumps. It's not the board that dictates the limits, you ride where you want to ride.

The tight radius of this handcrafted snowboard lets you turn quickly, makes sure you have enough edge control in those nasty passages and you can even properly carve with comfortable softboots. As the tight radius is released quite smoothly in the front and back, the board still run smooths and stable at higher speeds. Don't be fooled by the timeless shape and the whale like fluke tail, this board is technically up to date and ready to go fakie.

Pogo-Venado 167 .png

• Like 3

On 2/9/2017 at 9:49 AM, LiquidEarth808 said:

Just got Dupraz D1 6'++ and love it.  D1 felt tiny, yet never undergunned. Donek feels like a Gazelle or Cheetah while the D1 felt like a Pit Bull on the groomers. Got to surf it on some windblown cream.   Waiting for release of D1 6' 3".  Really fun amazing board. Just need a phat POW day for more test runs...

I really wanted the Wingergun 189. I mean, really bad, in a sick sort of way. In an analogous case to "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak", I was willing but my wife was "don't be a f*****g idiot." That bit of gentle persuasiveness and the quoted $400 shipping charge flung me into the arms of Dupraz. Still waiting on the 6'3...

• Like 1

• 8 months later...