Note to New Members ×

Pogo's in America

wesleywarren

• 2 weeks later...

I have been in contact with POGO.  Not very responsive about 2 weeks ago now.  I think the Euro version of the Outdoor Retailer or winter sports trade show started yesterday.  They may doubt my seriousness as buyer.  Would be cool to do a trip over there to pick up, been snowing.  Might be a dry February here... No reason to leave Utah right now! 

Any board to US shipping is $250

Maverick has Uberlegth at 230cm and has Uberexpensive shipping at $450

Most production boards I looked at had minimum stance width 54 cm 

I only go about 50 cm widest 

Stock Shaman shows 50 cm

I would go Shaman/Secret Spot hybrid 

Maverick would be tuff riding a chair. 

Tram only, 7000' vert minimum

Or private heli with custom board rack

• Like 1

On 1/17/2017 at 8:20 PM, Buell said:

Once upon a time I had this one:

P1010012.JPG

P1010016.JPG

That's a stunning board! I remember those pics... 

What is their "double concave"? Like dual camber on some other boards, or real double concave in transverse direction (across the board's width)? 

Also, how did you find the ride, compared to other pow boards of similar size? Tanker or Spearhead, even a Dynastar, for an example? 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LiquidEarth808 said:

I have been in contact with POGO.  Not very responsive about 2 weeks ago now.  I think the Euro version of the Outdoor Retailer or winter sports trade show started yesterday.  They may doubt my seriousness as buyer.  Would be cool to do a trip over there to pick up, been snowing.  Might be a dry February here... No reason to leave Utah right now! 

Any board to US shipping is $250

Maverick has Uberlegth at 230cm and has Uberexpensive shipping at $450

Most production boards I looked at had minimum stance width 54 cm 

I only go about 50 cm widest 

Stock Shaman shows 50 cm

I would go Shaman/Secret Spot hybrid 

Maverick would be tuff riding a chair. 

Tram only, 7000' vert minimum

Or private heli with custom board rack

My Maverick is one smooth ride.. Pogo for life.. 

7 hours ago, st_lupo said:

Hey how do those boards ride (pow versus ice)?  A friend showed me their website a month ago and I totally want one, even though it would be a completely ridiculous board where I usually ride.

My Maverick loves both.. It is amazing on hard pack and I fly by every one in Cherry cherry pow/pow.. These boards come highly recommended. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2017 at 2:15 PM, BlueB said:

That's a stunning board! I remember those pics... 

What is their "double concave"? Like dual camber on some other boards, or real double concave in transverse direction (across the board's width)? 

Also, how did you find the ride, compared to other pow boards of similar size? Tanker or Spearhead, even a Dynastar, for an example? 

It was a beautiful board and seemed to have exceptional construction.  The abalone inlay is gorgeous.

I don't recall it being their "double concave".  In fact, I had Bordy tune it and he found that it had a convex nose.  I am not sure if it was by design or not.  Now that is the rage on powder boards.

This one was a 180.  There was also a 170 and 175.  At the time I subscribed to the prevailing (at the time) BOL concept of go big or go home.  At 145 pounds, that did not always work out for me.  This Pogo was too stiff for me.  I think the 170 would have ridden far better for me. 

Oddly, it did not float as well as I expected it would.  I did not have them at the same time, but I am pretty sure, among other powder boards, my 166 Spearhead and 172 rockered Tanker both floated better.  Perhaps my current 156 Amplid Pillow Talk also floats better (rockered with a 267 waist).  I have not ridden a Dynastar.  I have never figured out why it lacked float, but perhaps it was the overall stiffness or it was too stiff in the tail for me.  Maybe the camber ran all the way to the wide point of the nose.  On groomers, at my weight, I had a hard time pressing the sidecut into the snow so it always lacked a bit of grip.

I sold it to a heavier rider in Canada and he loved it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LiquidEarth808 said:

Wesley is Maverick the only POGO you have ridden? 

At Bogus? 

Would be interesting in lift line maze chaos or on a quad

The Maverick is the only Pogo I have ridden.. Chair lift is not that bad... On busy days I just walk threw the lift lines with my board straight in the air.  Talk about a billboard.. On a quad I always stay on the far left, I'm regular so it makes it easier. Most of the time the lifties are super cool and let me go solo on the triple   and double on the quad.. My Pogo 270 should be arriving anyday now. I'll post pics. 

Edited by wesleywarren

On 2/2/2017 at 10:59 AM, st_lupo said:

Hey how do those boards ride (pow versus ice)?  A friend showed me their website a month ago and I totally want one, even though it would be a completely ridiculous board where I usually ride.

The only ridiculous place to shred a Pogo would be somewhere with no snow.. Don't let thier size of urbenlength scare you.. These boards are amaziling easy to handle.

Edited by wesleywarren

Hi Buel, BlueB

I sold it to a heavier rider in Canada and he loved it.

I am that heavier Canadian that purchased and loves the Pogo Longboard 180 in the pictures posted above.  

My wife, who is NOT a boarder at all, became a Bomber member and bought this board for my birthday.  I may have spent quite a bit of time staring at Buels' Bomber post. Thumbs up and good Karma to Buel as he took phone calls from my wife and really helped her to pull off this purchase:)

The Pogo Longboard 180 is a board that I ride often, particularly in true softer mixed all mountain conditions.  The board has an 8m SCR, but this is actually an average as it has a variable SCR, perhaps an 8/10/9 if I had to give a ballpark guess.  This board is said to be for either hard or softboots,  IMHO the 25cm waist is too narrow for softboots with my size 11 land packers!  I also feel the Pogo alpine-carving heritage in the flex; the flex between the tip and tail edge contact points are stiffer and are like a wider alpine board.  I ride this board with F2 CarveRS bindings in the 45F-30R range.  I am all of 220 pounds and I feel that I can lean into a turn or stand hard of the front foot in powder and the flex never feels like it can't handle it or that I am overpowering it ... the board likes the power.  The board can also float .... the swallowtail Pogo heritage can be felt when floating in powder for sure:)  The nose is excellent on this board, it is one of the features I like most.  I took me quite a while to find the binding placement fore and aft where I liked the way the board responded both in powder and on the groomers.  People ALWAYS comment on the shape and wood top sheet, I get many questions and compliments.  I often explain that it is like a race board between the bindings with a powder nose on the front.  I love riding this board several days after a big snow dump, conditions where you have a combination of good grooming and 30 or 40 cm of powder 2 or 3 feet from the trees on the edge of the run.  You are able to power a hard bottom type turns on the groomer, then blast a big slashing turn off the lip of the powder where the rise up from the groomer to the top of the pow gives a weightless feeling ... and repeat all the way down the run!  I feel fortunate to have this board in the quiver:)

Cheers
Rob

Edited by RCrobar
  • Like 2

Hi BlueB

Is it true that these came in 23 waist too, at some stage? 

I honestly don't know the answer to this question.  I can say that in my time surfing the Pogo site, I have only seen the 25cm wide Longboard ... then the wider version was add some time later.

Rob

23 hours ago, RCrobar said:

I honestly don't know the answer to this question.  I can say that in my time surfing the Pogo site, I have only seen the 25cm wide Longboard ... then the wider version was add some time later.

pogo is a custom shop. so they can build any desired shape for an extra $

PS own some pogos too: overdose 158, overdose flex 162, impact sonderserie, blitz, reefer (latest, symmetric), and secret spot.. but not in america :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LiquidEarth808 said:

Terekhov was that a pic of you somewhere on an Undertaker? 

How does Secret Spot compare?

Nice POGO quiver...

yes, artsy shot of me, done by my photographer friend :) secret spot is ultimately different to undertaker. if U198 can be described as powerful powder-centered (hardboot loving) alpine board, secret spot is a complete opposite in ALL ways not counting powder-centeredness: it is very soft surfy-feely glider, which can be easily overwhelmed with powerful softboot controls (I try once to use plates on it, never again since then). both is almost perfect in his own different ways, though

pogo quiver:

7MMZ6Ga.jpg

I rode many other alpine pogos also. love the ride of late 90ies pogos, way better than current. rightmost is my first pogo (not since birth - all of them baught 2nd hand off ebay, not counting secret spot), almost flat with no edges but STILL RIPS (if driven cautiously with respect to it's almost 20yrs of rip:). NB maincoon not included :)

backside need some love too btw (with frontside of sleepy maincoon:)

0b4s4Po.jpg

6 hours ago, terekhov said:

yes, artsy shot of me, done by my photographer friend :) secret spot is ultimately different to undertaker. if U198 can be described as powerful powder-centered (hardboot loving) alpine board, secret spot is a complete opposite in ALL ways not counting powder-centeredness: it is very soft surfy-feely glider, which can be easily overwhelmed with powerful softboot controls (I try once to use plates on it, never again since then). both is almost perfect in his own different ways, though

pogo quiver:

7MMZ6Ga.jpg

I rode many other alpine pogos also. love the ride of late 90ies pogos, way better than current. rightmost is my first pogo (not since birth - all of them baught 2nd hand off ebay, not counting secret spot), almost flat with no edges but STILL RIPS (if driven cautiously with respect to it's almost 20yrs of rip:). NB maincoon not included :)

backside need some love too btw (with frontside of sleepy maincoon:)

0b4s4Po.jpg

Gotta luv pix from the behind

POGO gets a little loose with the P-tex

Sounds like Shaman would be more like Das Undertaker

Edited by LiquidEarth808
Clarification

I have been lucky to ride a few runs with a Pogo Shaman some years ago at La Grave in great snow conditions: It is the board with the best surfy feeling i ever tried. It is intended to be ridden in softboots, and I could see my hardboots setup was a bit too locked for it ( compare to the swellpaniks that are good in both, and have a more powerful ride feel).

Great board ! The copper nose guard was not my fav part ( looked cheaply done) but I guess you can use the board without it ( as with all the other boards)

nils

• Like 1

I have the Shaman and ride it only in hardboots; with a waist width of 23,5 cm I think it isn't the board to be ridden in softboots.

I ride with F2 race titanium or Ibex bindings; 35'/45' flat.

Pogo boards are my favorites and my Shaman is the best board I've ever had.

Good for everything and with the long effective edge is super also on the slope.

I had also Swell Panik boards (Magistral and Global) but for me Pogos are better.

Edited by H2O
  • Like 1