Note to New Members ×

NASTAR 2016-2017

Jack M

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:29 AM, ursle said:

When you use a 40.99 handicap on a par 22.5 course...

You keep referencing this "22.5" par time that Okemo posted on their website. To give a run a single par time all season is extremely misleading. There are so many variables that change from day to day- the course set, snow conditions, visibility, etc that all drastically contribute to changing the time for a run.  My home hill has had par times range from 18.85 to 24.67 this year, you can't say our trail or any other trail in the world has one single "par time".

One look at the national ranking list will tell you how skewed nastar handicaps can be.

• Nate True- He's had a top 4 finish on the NorAm cup this year.
  • Converse Fields- Raced on the world cup up until this past year.
  • Mike Trapp- 2018 Olympian.
  • Gareth Cockroft- NorAm racer.
  • Hunter Bernard- NorAm racer.
  • Will Massie- NorAm racer.

I grabbed those names from the top 50, and I would put money on those 6 being the fastest 6 riders if you put everyone down the same course on the same day. 

One day at Okemo where the par time might have been a second or two fast is not a reason to get upset.

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words guys.  For the record, the par time shown for Okemo on the NASTAR website hasn't been updated since we moved the venue from Blackout to Bull Run.  Par times are typically around 18 seconds there.  Over the years, AJ Kitt had a few runs in the low 19 second bracket and Marco Sullivan dipped into the 18s.  I paceset both the ski course and the stubbies course today on skis and established par times of 18.49 and 18.25 respectively.  Both course were set for GS today with an average vertical spacing of 21 meters.  My times on the two courses were 22.68 on the ski course and 22.39 on the stubbies.  I then switched to my Kessler and made a couple of runs with the best being a 24.69.  Anytime I can keep my board times within 2.3 seconds of my ski times I'm happy.  My snowboard handicap today was 35 which is Platinum for someone as old as I am.

If you have the opportunity to run NASTAR I encourage you to do it.  And then join us at Squaw Valley where you'll be amazed at how fast Nate Holland is on a softboot board.

Edited by patmoore