Note to New Members ×

Coiler AMT 169/24

I totally lucked in with this one! It's pretty hard to buy a board custom built for someone else, that meets your requirements almost 100%! 

So, this beauty is a titanal AM 169, but built with custom waist of 24cm. Radius is single 9m, some nose decamber, but close to none in the tail. It was built for about 10lbs less then I am, which I actually like a lot. Flex is a typical Coiler AM - somewhat softer in between the bindings. 

As its so wide, I can ride 45/30 angles with no overhang at the back and some underhang up front. If I had it built from scratch, I'd probably do a 23 waist, though - enough for my baby boots :)

Indespite of being soft, it holds the edge really great. If wanted, it can ride bigger radius turn then the SCR would suggest. It can EC nicely, PB style. It's quite unstoppable by small bumps and chop, really stable at jumps too. In big moguls I'd actualy like a bit less grip. I hope to ride it in some bigger pow soon... 

Nicest part, I never felt worried that it might fold/brake! 

So, I thought I'd never say this, but this thing might send my Kessler BXn to retirement... 

• Like 1

very interesting!!  Fate/serendipity?

one board to rule them all :)

I am thinking a Coiler 168 22cm waist 0.4mm BX/EX/AMT hybrid with fix(10m) or small variance VSR (10-11m).

main usage will be hardboot.

22 waist with power plate should work for softboot and enough float for decent powder?

Edited by pow4ever

You might look into the style of board I had built, Corey has one too.  It's a VSR AMT 165 with the nose extended to make it a 167.  Sidecut is the "XT" 9/11/10 VSR, which Bruce said was originally designed for more open slalom courses. Mine has 16 mm of taper and a softened tail with a race decamber to make it more suitable for bumps, not sure if those changes were unique to my build.  Waist is 22. 

It works great as an all-rounder, although of course with the short sidecut and soft tail it gets a little squirrelly at speeds where my Nirvana with the 12/14 sidecut is unfazed.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill
  • Like 2

As Neil said, my 167 AM VSR (with the XT sidecut) kills it in most conditions. It's 21.5 wide, floats OK in the resort powder I've been in, and slays it on hardpack, super-soft 'groomed after a huge dump', and ice. It's pretty amazing at everything except GS turns. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Got myself a Coiler 176 AMT 017  7.2 + 4 ,  21.5 cm waist, looks to be a 12 scr (average measure), 265/215/260, 158 eff edge.

Planning on riding it at present 70/70 angle,  or can lower to 65/65 maybe 60/60.  Will play with it,  see what happens. 

This 2017 board was a specific order for a remake of the 2000's AM model.     I always mount my bindings from past boards with 1 inch  mid point setback from center of effective edge.

This board has a stiff nose and softer tail,   the soft tail lessens the harsh ride in crud.      Was told to mount bindings centered for mid point.   Am assuming this will lessen the weight on the soft tail,  and have more control on the stiffer nose.    I did mount bindings as far forward as possible , and still am 1/2 inch setback of effective edge midpoint.       Flexing the board by hand feels great and not noticing the tail being too soft.    Maybe I'm thinking this to  hard, just go ride it,  yes/no?  

Edited by RobertAlexander

14 minutes ago, RobertAlexander said:

Planning on riding it at present 70/70 angle,  or can lower to 65/65 maybe 60/60.  Will play with it,  see what happens. 

I would center your bindings and lower your angles until your heels/toes approach the edge if you want to get the true All-mountain feel that Bruce builds into that board.

• Like 1

Center the bindings on the inserts first. Then you can fine tune once you know how it responds. The days of centering on the effective edge are over with today's technology. 

If it feels stiff and hard to turn, move bindings forward from there. If soft, move back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...