Note to New Members ×

Camelback 16-17

teach

About time to start this! I was there Thursday 12/29. More coverage than I expected, but soft fresh snow + a decent-sized crowd made for instant bumpy mess. We don't seem to be getting much in the way of winter temperatures yet, but my fingers are crossed. I'd be curious if anyone rode yesterday morning, might have been good.

Pretty nice Friday except my favorite runs were closed -- Pocono Raceway (almost covered) and Rhododendron Glen (can't tell, but snow wasn't being made on it when I was there, though it needs it). Should be great until mid-next week, when it's supposed to not get below about 30 degrees for several days in a row. I'm ready for winter... any time now...

• 2 months later...

I think winter finally got around to starting. Maybe 6" - 8" of snow Friday, consistently cold temperatures for the week ahead according to forecast, snow possible Tuesday.

Camelback was decent today, way better than you might expect. They were even making snow in the morning. Someone said they expect to be open into April. So maybe we get a month of winter?

Raceway was open but with a big fence at the entry saying "ungroomed". I think maybe they don't want to provide cover for it. Rhodo had race training on one side, no grooming and scant cover on the other, but the middle was OK. There's what looks like a water park piece with a fence around it right in the middle of the runout... I really wish they'd leave that run alone.

With smaller crowds lately, I'm OK riding the narrower runs, if they're covered.

• Like 1

Really nice conditions Monday! And empty. Ridiculously fast snow. Nice job grooming out the manmade snow, excellent coverage for all trails. Still 100% open, but Raceway is left ungroomed and Rhodo has thin cover on the right. Today's snow might be enough to make Rhodo worth riding, but I think Raceway is done for the season.

I have to say Camelback did a great job with really tough conditions. Most of February never got cold enough, even at night, to make snow. But we're still at 100% open and many really good trails with full coverage.

Nice conditions this weekend, and not crazy crowded. They were setting up a "carving challenge" on Rhododendron Glen. Looks like it's going to be gates you pass through and you get timed... free... could be fun. It was getting soft as they were setting it up, so I didn't stay to see how it took shape. Not sure if it's a permanent thing or what...

• 2 weeks later...

Closing day was great for the first few hours. But since it never seems to get below freezing at night now, the morning frozen granular loosened up quickly, helped by pretty intense sun. Some runs were still nice around noon, but most were piles of soft, wet, heavy granular. Pretty amazing coverage, especially when you consider the round-the-clock warm temperatures and rain. No rocks, only a few brown streaks, generally full width coverage. Nice grooming job this season (a huge effort, I'm sure).