Note to New Members ×

Burton soft-launching new SB step-ins (Step-On system)

lonbordin

Transworld Business article (some really good pictures of the boot and interface in the article)-

http://www.grindtv.com/transworld-business/evolution-of-the-step-in-binding-burtons-chris-cunningham-weighs-in/#MfreG7dw44TMxLb6.97

Another article feature Terje and a short video of him stepping out of them-

https://onboardmag.com/snowboard-gear/gear-news-and-previews/new-burton-step-ins-2018.html

Burton's unlisted Step-On promo video-

Playing with them (Alex Andrews)-

Note- I have no affiliation with Burton.

The issue with these will be the same issue that plagued all previous step-ins that were somewhat decent...Boots!

I actually liked the clicker interface (toe and heel attachment), but the boots were not that good and if people cannot

find boots that are comfortable and functional, then the system is doomed to fail.

4 hours ago, lonbordin said:

The article says the bindings are compatible with 3D, The Channel and 4x4 systems.

Just kidding, but Burton loves to introduce new standarts for bindings, which is not good.

I see following issues:

1. Vendor-lock.

2. One stiffness won't work for all .

3. Will requide additional equipment for splitboarding. With those hinges on the front - it "might be like a dynafit, but it's not.

Now....

4. You put bindings in carving angles, like 45 on the front. Carve and fall in your backside. Your lever is on the outside, on the heel of your front foot. Can you release it when falling like that? Loooks like yes. Same thing can happen when dropping in not-so-pow or hitting rails.

I think I'm in.  I'll have to try them first of course, but I like what I'm seeing.  A proper highback, toe/heel attachment, a pseudo-ankle strap, easy in/out.  Makes sense for free riding if you ask me.  A half pipe/park tweaker won't be interested, but that's fine.  Of course I just bought new softies and bindings last year, so I will take some credit for these coming out now.

Queequeg, the boot and the toe cleats are the toe cap.  I don't see an issue there.

first hand experience with this configuration, it.s a redesigned Device with an even bulkier heel loop (that can pack w/snow) and a less secure toe hook than the 20yr old original. The patent that k2/ride/rossignol bought in the 90's, then squashed in favor of the clilcker  and much hated SIS arch pin for rentals,  must have expired.

The system works great (still have my wife's old set of 2nd gen device), way better than the old burton SI because of the toe/heel hold and lateral freedom and edging that provides. Better than clickers because of true toe/heel retention (rather than under the sole:smashfrea,)  w/out clogging with snow every step.

proprietary boots of insufficient quality were the biggest problem the 1st time around for soft stepin, some bit of standardization would be nice.

high traction sole with a dynafit toe ledge for a bail and touring would be cheap, easy, secure, like a AT lower shell, just sayin

The irony of the company that led the "stepins suck" charge now touting the "new" stepin system is mind boggleing

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 4

On 12/16/2016 at 8:31 PM, b0ardski said:

... The irony of the company that led the "stepins suck" charge now touting the "new" stepin system is mind boggleing

I think you're failing to understand business in general and marketing in particular. Companies don't exist to be consistent or honourable or childish or any of those things; it's business.

"Why now" is in my view a more interesting question. The answer could be "we haven't tried this one for a while and we're running a bit short on innovation elsewhere", or it could be deeper.

Here's the patent - you can patent anything in the US, even perpetual motion machines:

https://www.google.com/patents/US9149711

• Like 1

On 12/16/2016 at 3:31 PM, b0ardski said:

high traction sole with a dynafit toe ledge for a bail and touring would be cheap, easy, secure, like a AT lower shell, just sayin

Umm, sounds like a recipe for massive toe drag to me...?

The irony of the company that led the "stepins suck" charge now touting the "new" stepin system is mind boggleing

That reminds me, it will be fun to watch them try to re-embrace carving now that it's becoming cool or at least interesting again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, philw said:

I think you're failing to understand business in general and marketing in particular. Companies don't exist to be consistent or honourable or childish or any of those things; it's business.

"Why now" is in my view a more interesting question. The answer could be "we haven't tried this one for a while and we're running a bit short on innovation elsewhere", or it could be deeper.

Here's the patent - you can patent anything in the US, even perpetual motion machines:

https://www.google.com/patents/US9149711

I understand enough to think that burton did a great job of clearing the market of competition and then redesigning the most user friendly and secure system configuration(out of 3d printable plastic instead of metal) that was buried for profit in favor of clickers. Did burton plan it all along? or just retapping a newly open market? the used market was flooded but that's fading away now.

ps Having used every stepin system that ever came on the american market I believe whole heartedly that a toe in heel down motion for engagement is the way :argue:

Edited by b0ardski

1 hour ago, Jack Michaud said:

Umm, sounds like a recipe for massive toe drag to me...?

That reminds me, it will be fun to watch them try to re-embrace carving now that it's becoming cool or at least interesting again.

a tech toe ledge doesn't have to stick out any more than a deeluxe toe ledge, and could be recessed like the upz heel or the burton physics toe hooks similar to the lower shell of a dynafit tlt7

WHI.jpg

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

burton_binding_physics.jpg

burton_physics_heels.jpg

replace those stupid," trying hard to be exclusive" begging to be broken clamp posts w/ intec or nitro/speedplate style heel piece.

could be built with or w/out a highback for softboots, like the clickers were.

Keep in  mind that a boa softboot w/added highback on the same baseplate as a hybrid or hardshell should be a given in any new system.

Edited by b0ardski

Don't forget; they have to look like sneakers, and be comfortable to walk in.  Because, you know, snowboarding is all about walking around in the lodge with peak efficiency!  It's been proven that one's steeze is interupted greatly with reduced ankle motion when near the ladies.  

When you consider those factors, this design makes perfect sense.  Function follows form.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, corey_dyck said:

Don't forget; they have to look like sneakers, and be comfortable to walk in.  Because, you know, snowboarding is all about walking around in the lodge with peak efficiency!  It's been proven that one's steeze is interupted greatly with reduced ankle motion when near the ladies.  

When you consider those factors, this design makes perfect sense.  Function follows form.  

I don't think that's fair.  Yes, they have to be softboots, they cannot have an external plastic shell anywhere, but that's it.  To me it looks like these were designed very much with function firmly in mind.  If they work as well as they look, I'll have a pair.

7 hours ago, philw said:

There's been a surge in interest in carving of late. I posted a link a few months back about how every snowboard related page I opened had a pic of someone carving on it, including TWS. Dying sport - aging demographic getting out of park and pipe - increasingly sketchy weather equals less pow and more groom - hey, this carving thing might be fun. These are good for carving. I'd lay money that Burton starts making cambered boards again next season.

I'd try these, for no reason other than I love the ease and convenience of my F2 step ins.

Edited by Allee

23 minutes ago, Allee said:

There's been a surge in interest in carving of late. I posted a link a few months back about how every snowboard related page I opened had a pic of someone carving on it, including TWS. Dying sport - aging demographic getting out of park and pipe - increasingly sketchy weather equals less pow and more groom - hey, this carving thing might be fun. These are good for carving. I'd lay money that Burton starts making cambered boards again next season.

I'd try these, for no reason other than I love the ease and convenience of my F2 step ins.

I agree with the rest, but go to burton.com, go to the snowboards section, check the "Camber" checkbox, and browse the 14 different men's models and 3 women's models that appear.

a quote from the review Niel posted above

With the Step On system, your boot is locked to the binding. If you snap ollies on your snowboard like you would on a skateboard—where the soles of your feet stay slightly more parallel with the ground than the angle of the board, as you raise the its nose—the Step On system doesn’t feel as intuitive.

In its current form, this system restricts the wiggle room that facilitates a loose riding style. There are a number of small movements I had no idea I make when I snowboard until I was locked into the Step On system. Consequently, I felt the bindings changed my riding style.

The benefit of this locked-down feel is response, especially toe-to-heel. I’m not sure the stiffest, most expensive traditional binding with a carbon highback parallels the response time offered by the Step On system. I also feel the system has the ability to improve performance on landings. I was able to ride away from stuff where I might have gone over the nose in my normal bindings.

and there you have it; slop is a desired part of the system for the bow legged skaters, bring back rubber straps :eek: