Note to New Members ×

Mountaincreek 2016/2017

jtslalom

(Thursday 12/15/16) Well day number one is in the books. Mountain creek is now open from top to bottom. There are really only two runs currently open. At north, Horizon is open  and the Sugar slope as well. Both the Sugar lift and the cab are open. On the South peak only one run from the top is open. Not sure of the run but its nice because none of the park features are up yet so you have a nice wide open slope to crank turns. I wouldn't bother racing out for a day of riding at MC just yet. Slope conditions are pretty firm, however MC is making snow as much as they can so conditions will get better. I think they will have a bit more open by the weekend. Hopefully the rain we are suppose to get on Sunday doesn't melt away to much snow. C u all oout there.

Jt

• 3 weeks later...

Rode with Dave, Ken and Jimmy today. Conditions are getting nicer as the winter days continue. Today they were pretty good. The trails at MC are definately wider than they have ever been. I will be riding tomorrow morning at north. Hope to se other carvers out there.

• 4 weeks later...

Rode with Ken and Dave today. After this past 10 day warming trend conditions are finally starting to get better. MC made some snow at night last night. It was just enough to blend into the frozen granular so you can get a bite on the hard pack. Horizon to sianara to matchmaker seemed to be the best trails. Zero g was also pretty good. Skiers left was a little firm but mid way down was good. That trail is very wide this year making it a little easier to carve the whole slope even when conditions are firm. It's still challenging for us soft booters but throw on a set of plates and it should be no problem. All in all we had a good day.

• 2 weeks later...

13 inches of snow fell on MC yesterday (2/9/17). I rode with Dave and Jimmy and it was awesome. It wasn't what I would call a carving day but it was soft windblown snow conditions that were down right fun to ride in. Bumps started to form on Zero-G and Upper/Lower Straightaway. We were also able to get a few mountain bike trail runs. Those are always nice with the high banked turns, whoops, and table top jumps. It was so much fun. Do yourselves a favor and get out and enjoy it while you can. 

• 4 weeks later...

MC could be doing much better. They could have made snow last weekend when it was 15 deg and colder multiple nights in a row. They are closed weekdays now. It has been a rough winter around here but every other mountain is making the best of it and making MC look bad. Management has been a bit of a shitshow.

I'm off to Mt Peter now as they are open and committed to finishing the season strong.  

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Mountain Creek has come a long way since the days of VV/GG. I ride almost every Saturday and Sunday mornings at MC and a few times during the week in the late afternoons and evenings. As a sessions pass holder you get one hour to ride before the public day pass crowds are aloud on the lift. This past year was hit and miss for conditions. We had some decent snow but soon after we had warm temps. It was a frustrating year to say the least. In years past however we have had some killer snow days. Enough to ride the mountain bike trails in the woods. Those trails are insane to ride. The carving during those years has been excellent. This past year. MC has widened trails and made it easy to carve all the way across the slopes, including zero-g and Grand Prix. A seasons pass is about $350 which makes it well worth your time to of ride MC. I do take frequent trips to Hunter,  belleayre, Windham and Plattekill but MC on good snow days there is no reason to leave MC.

JT

• Like 2

Truly appreciated, thank you. I see a season passe is $600 so Im guessing $350 is some kind of summer deal? I may just get a couple of Triple Plays instead and just hit the mountain when conditions are tops, like supposedly now :D I actually remember Grand Prix.

On 3/10/2017 at 5:16 AM, michael.a said:

I'm moving back to NJ next year and will be quite close to Mountain Creek but it just looks like a better bet is to head over to Hunter or Windham for the weekends.

Any experience with my old haunts like Shawnee or Camelbak?

If you are moving to the area that's different story. I was talking about the current conditions when I replied. Overall MC is great. Season pass is cheap. If you are close to MC it is definitely worth it. Mid week is empty there.

This was a very difficult winter for any ski area around here.

• Like 2