Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving worth watching

SunSurfer

howdy

what is up with this? carving on powder shape boards... would have liked to see these boards in powder...

if you pop out these vids on the youtube page and click on "show more" in the description...

you will see their stance width and stance angles on the different riders and board...

and some girls... same with the "show more"...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, west carven said:

what is up with this? carving on powder shape boards...

Yep. This is normal in Japan... ?

I think pretty much everyone I know here has a hammerhead and a swallowtail and can carve both!

Edited by daveo
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, daveo said:

Yep. This is normal in Japan... ?

I think pretty much everyone I know here has a hammerhead and a swallowtail and can carve both!

The reverse is true also i was amazed how well my SG soul xt rode powder ive never ridden anything so effortless in powder though i wouldn't want to take it through tree's, it was exceptional in just big relaxed banking turns.

3 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

The reverse is true also i was amazed how well my SG soul xt rode powder ive never ridden anything so effortless in powder though i wouldn't want to take it through tree's, it was exceptional in just big relaxed banking turns.

I just procured a Soul 164, actually. Glad to hear this. May I ask if you used the POW inserts on the 159XT?

Just now, scottishsurfer said:

no i just rode on the reference stance the entire time i'm not the lightest guy either as im roughly 200lbs.

Oh nice. Can I ask how deep it was? And what other powder boards have you ridden?

Hopefully the 164 being a bit narrower still floats as well as yours.

3-4 feet deep maybe a bit more was about the deepest i rode it in. I'm a strange snowboarder give me a choice of a good groom or powder and ill choose groom everytime. ill generally only go powder hunting once the groom is wrecked

Ive not ridden many powder boards but what i have ridden are Salomon sick stick(good but unremarkable), Rossi XV(a bit meh).

Edited by scottishsurfer

17 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

3-4 feet deep maybe a bit more was about the deepest i rode it in. I'm a strange snowboarder give me a choice of a good groom or powder and ill choose groom everytime. ill generally only go powder hunting once the groom is wrecked

I think you speak for most on this forum...

Well, thanks for that report, it's really great to know. Was concerned about the powder capabilities of the board. Perhaps the rockered nose helps to some extent. I'm sure the width of yours helps also.

5 hours ago, slopestar said:

My hammerhead Donek works great in pow bumps or 6-10” max. After that it’s an effort to keep the nose up. 220lbs and I ride wither centered inserts always

May I ask how much taper, setback and waist width this board has? Also how long is it?

Just trying to get a feel of hammerheads in pow since I only have one softboot board and is a hammerhead.

Edited by daveo

post-2749-0-87244800-1432439599_thumb.jpgpost-2749-0-82138200-1444244386_thumb.pngpost-2749-0-05472600-1454360404_thumb.jpeg

it was bred from the bamboo core freecarve (clear/red topsheet also 165 23.5 waist that was made for BIg Canuck) that I rode with powerplates and softies. The white curl, also a freecarve 167/23.5 waist was a demo board Sean made that was born from similar specifications. Only ridden in hardboots with 40/35 angles.  Should never have sold that one.... it’s been an evolution. Thanks Sean

The top board

9-11 radius

24.8 waist

inserts centered/no setback

Donek saber build with one less layer of rubber and a stiffer than normal core. It’s magic. Bomber power plates with nx2gt flows. I’m on the fence for modifying this board to be like the flux but I love the hook that the hammerhead has. Sean says I’ll lose that characteristic and I’m not sure if I’m willing to give it up. Next build in coming weeks to replace my aging hammerhead saber will be a 168/same radius with a little more dampening as I’m planning to run 3D printed risers (significantly lighter than the powerplates)

Edited by slopestar

18 hours ago, slopestar said:

I’m planning to run 3D printed risers (significantly lighter than the powerplates)

Did you figure out how to make the bolts run directly downward yet? You could print little angled shims on opposing 3 or 6 degree angles (or whatever you're using) and place them between your binding centre disc and the bolts.

I have an extremely talented engineer friend that I ride with. I mean, I found them in the lodge at Loveland 

7938A06C-0F33-4CB0-8F14-CCFB5EE4DC3B.jpeg

I run 3* pure inward canting. I use the same length hardware and a washer or two on the low side of the cant. Angles can be skewed up to 5* either direction while board contact is squared up(for even flex) but the pad is rotated to my predetermined angle. 27/18

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, slopestar said:

I run 3* pure inward canting. I use the same length hardware and a washer or two on the low side of the cant angles can be skewed up to 5* either direction while board contact is squared up(for even flex) but the pad is rotated to my predetermined angle. 27/18

Right, can you show me the washer configuration if you have a chance?