Note to New Members ×

Softboot Carving worth watching

SunSurfer

Great riding, very smooth! I realized it's softies only fair bit into the video. 

I can't quite figure out the little arm throw, she does on every toe to heel transition. Where does it come from? A flaw, or she just wants to give lots of room for the trailing arm to drive down and forward into the edge? The GS ski racers actually do the former often, with their outside hand/pole... 

3 hours ago, Bobby Buggs said:

The shape of those boards looks like stuff we would ride

I had the same thought, carving optimised boards being ridden well in soft boots. Also impressive core rotation flexibility to manage the sideways stance and the mostly forward  facing upper body position. 

• Like 1

Look again, SB. She does exactly opposite from anticipating the heel turn (rear hand only) - she throws it up and back, away from the new turn. Then she drives it down and forward into the heel turn, but after she already changed the edge. 

But yes, very graceful and smooth, yet aggressive. 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SunSurfer said:

I had the same thought, carving optimised boards being ridden well in soft boots. Also impressive core rotation flexibility to manage the sideways stance and the mostly forward  facing upper body position. 

I think she has fairly forward binding angles. .. Not a ducky for sure. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlueB said:

I think she has fairly forward binding angles. .. Not a ducky for sure. 

I was thinking more of the video I posted at the start where there are a range of angles in use, and the riders show static stance poses at the end. Agree the female rider in the second vid has forward facing bindings, and the guy in the 2016 Infinity vid has a front foot angle up around +45 degrees. Whatever, the riders are far more flexible and rotated than my 57 yr old spine is capable of riding comfortably (60Rear, 65Front).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, west carven said:

howdy

more insanely good carving... this is my new goal...

Wow, that's great! My favorite video for this season so far, regardless of boots. 

This is stuff that some people claimed couldn't be done just a few years ago. Are there new soft boots that are hardboot-stiff? Or just some insane talent? 

On 11/1/2016 at 2:50 PM, BlueB said:

Great riding, very smooth! I realized it's softies only fair bit into the video. 

I can't quite figure out the little arm throw, she does on every toe to heel transition. Where does it come from? A flaw, or she just wants to give lots of room for the trailing arm to drive down and forward into the edge? The GS ski racers actually do the former often, with their outside hand/pole... 

Stein did Reverse Shoulder technique, it has been around for awhile...Like her vid. he to was very stylish on the mountain...

Edited by softbootsailer

This is pretty nit-picky in an awesome display of carving... 

With that said, I struggled with that same movement and still do to some degree.  For me, it was all about putting a little rotation into the board (board rotates opposite direction of arm-flick) at the edge change.  This prevents an edge catch in the cross over between edges.  It lingered the longest in my toe-to-heel transition, as a heelside edge catch sucks at any speed.  It can be helpful if you get bucked by something and end up twisted the wrong way with limited space to avoid a tree or something.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, softbootsailer said:

you bet, that backside to frontside when you get stuck and the trees are coming at you is terrifying, every year a couple of times I get really upset with myself when that happens, it could all be over in a heartbeat...

I get your point and agree, but I'd love to ban the terms 'backside' and 'frontside', as they mean different things to different people.  Surfers say a backside turn is done on the toes, Europeans seem to say that a backside turn is done on the heels.  

What would a European surfer say?  

A backside turn is done with your back to the wave or wall of the pool/ramp, no matter where you surf or skate.  In surfing, you are doing a backside on the lip when you are on your toes, and if it is a bottom turn it is a backside on your heels.  So front or back side is independent of toe or heel in surfing.  In skating we don't have such a thing as a bottom turn, so it is always referenced to the lip where back side is on the toes.  Then that terminology got taken to street skating where if you are rotating the same way as if you were doing a backside kickturn on the wall or on the lip, it is a backside rotation.  This is kind of dumb but that's just the way the terminology evolved.

On the snow it is confusing as people don't necessarily come from a skate/surf background so I say heelside/toeside.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill