Note to New Members ×

What are you doing to stop glove abuse?

queequeg

I know this topic has been covered repeatedly in the past but ... you never know what new ideas people might have. For the past several seasons I have been using Hestra Trigger mitts, because I like the form factor (gaiters, trigger mitts, and the big thick wrist straps are all to my liking) but they are not particularly durable ... but I have yet to find the glove that IS durable so that seems like a moot point. This year I am switching to some new Black Diamond gloves that are similar but seem like they may be warmer — trying to figure out how I am going to prevent myself from shredding them in under a day.

I know a lot of people like the THOR gloves, some people are using disposable leather (uninsulated/work?) over-gloves that protect their regular gloves (I went looking for these but I could not find them, anyone have a link???). The rest of us seem to mostly rely upon slathering the palms of their gloves in plasti-dip/tool-dip/shoe-goo etc etc etc ... The plasti-dip thing seems to work but it makes your gloves really stiff and looks kind of gross. Has anyone come up with any clever new way of dealing with this that isn't totally ridiculous? I hate buying a new pair of gloves and slathering them in junk and making them super stiff, or not slathering them in junk and buying a new pair a day later. Any new approaches to this?

Edited by queequeg

I got a pair of Black Diamond mitts a few years ago.  They held up pretty well, but the leather was wearing out so I tried Shoe Goo.  It didn't stick.  I then roughed up the surface with sandpaper and reapplied Shoe Goo.  That worked better, but it'll still peel over time.  I then added Sika Flex over top of the whole mess.  It wears slower than leather, but will need another application soon.  

Jim, it sounds like I need to find some Kinco gloves for warm Aspen days!  

The extreme carving guys mentioned Sika Biresin U1406 and U1303 mold-making compound as the holy grail, but it only comes in large quantites.  You can see it in some videos; it makes clothing look glossy where it's applied but it stays flexible when put on thin enough.  

Kincos are my choice too for me they work even in the nice warm place on the top of the continental divide called Loveland.  They've recently started including Nikwax sealant with the 901 and 901T (mitten).  

I don't really suffer from cold hands but my cold handed friends suggest using an under glove liner (gortex or cotton depending on your financial capabilities).   For the super super cold days you could layer like this: cotton glove, latex glove, outer (Kinco) glove.  

I did once buy a pair of Hestra mitts, while they were really nice they we'rent any warmer than the Kinco mitts.  They didn't make me any faster either.  YMMV. 

I have mulled over something like this fingerless kevlar glove in the past, but never actually pulled the trigger. Suggest you buy it and let us know how it works :) Obviously it would be a challenge to get that over your glove, something like this could be easier as long as you're able to trim the excess length (how hard is it to cut kevlar cloth?).

I've also had good luck with Kinco gloves in the past; they're durable and so cheap that you don't mind replacing them. However, I'm now using Level gloves with integrated wrist protection, so the Kincos are reserved for bike commuting. 

Finally, I believe it would be best to STOP PUTTING MY HANDS ON THE SNOW, but  I seem incapable of pulling that off... :freak3:

Edited by Dan

COPY THAT, DAN

As an orthopedic surgeon I would worry more about the durability of my hands, wrists, and especially my shoulder with hands down on the snow, rather than my gloves.

Of course, I am a racer, and not proficient at EC, so when my hand hits the snow it is usually part of some epic head over heels crash and burn (for which I am famous amongst my fellow coaches and racers).

Still, gotta protect those upper extremities unless you want to come see me in an other than social capacity.

As for the gloves - I got nuttin' 

Paul

Edited by drschwartz

3 hours ago, GeoffV said:

Jose, I have had good luck with Gorilla Tape and placing it in strategic high wear spots. It bonds really well with leather gloves and will stay on for pretty much an entire season.

Thanks for the tip - both pairs of gloves have been sitting on my coffee table for the last week as I contemplate my preseason fix for them. I'll go pick some of this up.

totally ridiculous,  but covered them with NP1 metal roof chaulk, then a year or two later, had some marine grade chaulk, so put a coat of that on also, seem to be life time gloves, several seasons on them so far,  I like them because they have the internal wrist guards, and are completely waterproof.

Edited by RobertAlexander

i have a few pair of Burton Horse leather work mitts that have been great the past few seasons.  the stitching does start to come apart but i simply use a thin, high quality fish line as substitute when repairing them and they are good after that.   the horse leather is super resilient to the extent that the holes that are machined for the stitching hold up to repeated repairs.   not a mittens guy normally, but these i really do like.  the liner holds up pretty well and my hands don't get cold.  Nikwax is tethered to them when bought new, if you can find them.  

the latest model is on ebay for $40.  some changes to the aesthetic but they appear to largely be the same mitt that i am referring to.

evo has the old style model on sale right now for $26.  i recommend them highly.  XL is tough to find.

caveat:  they don't go well with much and they can wreck your look.  or wreck a photo.

Edited by davekempmeister

7 hours ago, GeoffV said:

Jose, I have had good luck with Gorilla Tape and placing it in strategic high wear spots. It bonds really well with leather gloves and will stay on for pretty much an entire season.

Wow — this is unexpected. I'll give this a shot. I'm surprised that it bonds so well! The gloves I bought have lots of leather so I will give this a go. I assume that you get a better bond if you don't use any kind of leather treatment. 

Edited by queequeg

6 hours ago, Dan said:

I have mulled over something like this fingerless kevlar glove in the past, but never actually pulled the trigger. Suggest you buy it and let us know how it works :) Obviously it would be a challenge to get that over your glove, something like this could be easier as long as you're able to trim the excess length (how hard is it to cut kevlar cloth?).

I've also had good luck with Kinco gloves in the past; they're durable and so cheap that you don't mind replacing them. However, I'm now using Level gloves with integrated wrist protection, so the Kincos are reserved for bike commuting. 

Finally, I believe it would be best to STOP PUTTING MY HANDS ON THE SNOW, but  I seem incapable of pulling that off... :freak3:

This is sort of more along the lines of what I was looking for. I'm going to keep digging and see if there is something like similar that can work. It would be great to find/make some kind of uninsulated/durable over-glove that you only need in carving conditions but that you can forgo when the snow is soft and you aren't carving.

I did a bit of googling for abrasion-resistant textiles/fabrics today to see what I could find. There is a product called SuperFabric that seems promising, and is already in use on some gloves:

http://superfabric.com/markets-and-applications/outdoor-apparel/

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/lindy-fish-handling-glove-9355

That seems promising.

Edited by queequeg

Well I'm happy enough with my Thor gloves but the insulation got really compressed just after a season (50+ days)  and lost most of it's warmth in my opinion..........but Cali isn't cold enough to worry about the warmth factor.....they still look new on the outside

I think I'll try the ski specific Kinco 900max next.     Anybody here tried them??  Do they run small??

I like the looks and idea of the black Nikwax treated leather and a built in rubber goggle squeegee ........all for $36

http://www.gemplers.com/product/225757-XL/kinco-cold-weather-pigskin-gloves-carabiner?gclid=CJfHkp_h_M8CFQt3fgod_dsOcg&CID=25SEPLA&s_kwcid=AL!3210!3!67862977945!!!g!62710661138!&ef_id=WAgb1QAABaEozRKT:20161028052452:s

http://www.kinco.com/product/900max/

kinco-cold-weather-225757.jpg 

• Like 1

I have been using the Kinco gloves all last season. I try not to pat the dog but but it happens... I like a good cheap glove but I also have a great pair of arteryx that a fantastic in very cold conditions. My gloves usually hold up well but I tend to use my palm/wrist when I do drag my hand. Chews up the wrist cuff pretty badly. I also have a serious case of "trigger finger" that makes getting in and out of my soft boot bindings, increasingly difficult and painful. Digits off the snow is a good thing. Summer surgery to fix it is inevitable.

Final thought... Leather is the best

Thor glove fan, here! 

My first pair lasted about 2 years before I lost them. My current pair is going into 4th season now. All I did to extend their life was paint the stiches with diluted Sicaflex. 

Yeah they are not very warm or waterproof. But, one can coat them and wear liners under. 

Oh, and the cuff is so long that it protects my jacket too! 

Edited by BlueB

Just buy yourself a pair of warm Level gloves with inbuild wrist protection and put some sikaflex on them, just put thin layers on it and let them drying two days in between each layer. If they start to worn, just put a new layer of Sikaflex on it. Used Thor gloves: complete rubbish by hands in the snow, not water repellant at all,  cold and they wear out pretty fast on glacier ice/hardpack (within three descents they were gone).

Edited by Hans

I think the best option is to stop dragging your hand on the ground.  Asking for a soft pliable glove that lasts a long time while being abraded by ice crystals is not a reasonable request with current technologies and market conditions.  Some snowmobile and motorcycle gloves might be built a little more burly as the intended market goes much faster and the designers build with warmth AND protection in mind. 

I've been using the SAME pair of Black Diamond Guide gloves for 3 years and I'll probably get several more years out of them. Occasionally I'll skim the snow, most of the time I'm not trying to drag my clothes on the snow.  

atc6.jpg.cd0316901a65518970192ca38cad5a9c.jpg

• Like 2