Note to New Members ×

Another sunny day and nice hard pack... I had a carving session with instructors. One guy showed up on a Factory Prime 173! He did very well, considered it's his first try. The rest of the crew was on softies. 

Rod lapped us few times. 

I used the old LTD twin tip, set duck. I always do that on intro session, before I explain the gear and stance enhancement for carving. 

I'm setting to Hemlock tomorrow... 

Edited by BlueB

Sunny, chilly day at Hemlock. Wery fed people rode from the last dump, so all that pow stayed... and got crusted from wind... made for some very interesting of piste riding. Groomers were sweet in the am. 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1

Another sunny hard packed day at Cypress! 

Crew: Tony, Roy, B 

My toys: OES Loony and F2 ElDiablo 

Something really scary happened to me, I jumped our biggest jump a ted short, landing back foot right onto the nackle. Impact was such that the binding realeaded! I msnaged to lay down on my side instead of tumbling and sort of carve bounce the board guiding it with front foot only. Brrrr! 

On 1/13/2017 at 4:38 AM, BlueB said:

Sunny, chilly day at Hemlock. Wery fed people rode from the last dump, so all that pow stayed... and got crusted from wind... made for some very interesting of piste riding. Groomers were sweet in the am. 

I wimped on Hemlock last week as they said that you needed chains, and I had a crappy hire car without even M&S tyres (so completely illegal almost everywhere I drove it - sorry about I can't work out how to get YVR car hire companies to give me legal cars; in YKA it's easy).

My favourite secret spot. Why do Vancouver people not go there instead of Whistler?

10 hours ago, philw said:

I wimped on Hemlock last week as they said that you needed chains, and I had a crappy hire car without even M&S tyres (so completely illegal almost everywhere I drove it - sorry about I can't work out how to get YVR car hire companies to give me legal cars; in YKA it's easy).

My favourite secret spot. Why do Vancouver people not go there instead of Whistler?

I love it too! Chairs are slow but there's no people. Great free riding lines. 

I guess Whistler is perceived as cool. It also might be closer from downtown. For me from Coquitlam Hemlock is closer. 

That chain sign is at the access crossroads, but they don't check on dry days. Last part of road is very sketchy so at least winter tires are required... 

Edited by BlueB

Another great hard packed day, but cloudy. As the result, snow held better but we had very flat light in the am. 

Crew: Patrick, Roy, Tony, B and Gord showed up on skis with family! 

My toys: Loony (I really fell in love with this thong) and super wide AMT for the PM.  

I thought my boots were softening from warm temps and I kept cranking up my buckles... Later when I was changing to go home, I found out that I broke both boots! 

Cloudy, warm, no people and smooth hardpack - short definition of today :) 

That slab of yellowish ice in mid Panorama is now permanent... 

We had a brief chat with Bret Tippie and then were watching him absolutely killing it on softies. 

Hi BC crew! If I was up in Vancouver for a weekend and wanted to sample some local hills (not Whistler, close to town), what would be your recommendation? It would be a Saturday or Sunday...Grouse, Hemlock, Cypress, or?? We would likely not rent a car, so an area with a shuttle would be best. I would be with my wife, who skis. Definitely looking for good groom over powder or anything else. 

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

It would be a Saturday or Sunday...Grouse, Hemlock, Cypress, or?? We would likely not rent a car, so an area with a shuttle would be best.

Not sure about Hemlock but the three north shore mountains (Cypress, Grouse, Seymour) have shuttles.

You can get to Grouse by public transit. Seymour and Cypress have shuttles. Check their site for details. Cypress has the most terrain out of all three.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlueB said:

And longest runs and steepest groomers and most of people that you know through forum :) 

Thanks guys! Sounds like Cypress will be the way to go. How wide are runs there, should I bring something on the turny side? 

It's dumping like crazy here. Heavy wet snow, but that's a lot better then clear stuff we had over last few days ;) At least 10cm came down from late afternoon... 

No people and mostly no show in my training ground group... 

Chop everywhere, except Midway being like a cloud again :) 

On 1/15/2017 at 9:02 PM, BlueB said:

Another great hard packed day, but cloudy. As the result, snow held better but we had very flat light in the am. 

Crew: Patrick, Roy, Tony, B and Gord showed up on skis with family! 

My toys: Loony (I really fell in love with this thong) and super wide AMT for the PM.  

I thought my boots were softening from warm temps and I kept cranking up my buckles... Later when I was changing to go home, I found out that I broke both boots! 

That's exactly what happened to my boots! How old were yours?

Given the aggressive style of your riding and the number of flex cycles they've been through, I guess it was inevitable...

i did some very rough calculations on my own boots, and they lasted for about  680 skier days (6-8 hrs/day) before breaking.

Geo

Edited by crucible

Those were my AT Garmont Shoguns. Truth be told, I don't know how old... I bought them very mildly used (looking at the soles and lack of scratches, of the bay, late last season. So I've on put about 30 short days on them. 

They both cracked on the lower shell, under the upper, where they flex. It akso ciincides with section where they have softer tyoe if plasric molded in. Rear one, that I rode unlocked, cracked about 3", front one about 1". Some minor cracking is also visible at that internal mini tongue just above Achilles tendon. 

I have another confession to make, day prior to noticing the cracks, I short landed that monster jump under Eagles and hit knuckle full force under rear boot. Impact was such that binding realeased :( 

Back to Dalbellos now, they are pretty indestructible, yet less nice for free riding... 

1 hour ago, crucible said:

Maybe you should hit up Arcteryx for a pair of their new Procline backcountry ski boots!

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2016-2017-arcteryx-procline-carbon-support-boot

You could offer to be a pro tester for them....

Geo

Wow, those look light! I wonder if they really ski like a ski boot, as claimed? 

That front looks like the toe bail won't clip over it safely... 

Worth trying, especially if I can get them free ;) Time to get hold of our skateboarding buddy who's a designer there. 

Whistler was busy today... Vis was on and off, but mostly good, even if a little flat. Snow varied a lot, depending on where on the mountain we were... Moroccan stew was great ;) 

Both Luka and Roy managed to get wrecked a bit. Luka crashed in the race course, while Roy managed to disappear of the edge of groomed run into something very steep and rough and hit his shoulder. It was a very scary moment for me as an observer. 

I'm definitely too fat for the little Kessler BXN...

Tomorrow should be colder and sunnier. 

Great morning at Cypress! Nice hardpack on Collins, hero on JJA and Panorama, some fluff on moguls to make them easier... 

I was with instructors' session so couldn't fool around with Tony and his windsurfing crew, Rod, Mark, Federico...