Note to New Members ×

Powwowwow! We are having an awesome season so far! 

Crew: Gary, Rod, Roy, Patrick, Luka and I. Tony and Geo were spotted too. 

My toy: 3800 

I rode almost everything that was open and fair bit of closed runs ;) I think that I enjoyed the Ripcord and Bowen face the most. 

My beasty kid can come down the Trumpeter on skis! Way to go young man, you'll be making circles around papa, pretty soon! ::)

Lots of white stuff to still come down tonight. Keep those pow stick handy, boys. 

Another powwow day, getting a bit boring ;)

Chairs started late aND huge lineup former at entry gate. When it opened, people literally ran to the chair, to get first tracks! Never seen anything like that! :)

Patrick was a great learner this morning! Way to go buddy! 

Edited by BlueB

• 2 weeks later...

It was great to get back on snow, even better on a big pow day! However the 49cm on the website was a bit too optimistic... 

Anyways, getting on and out of mountain was "interesting" and painfully slow. I almost got taken out by an out of controll car getting into an uphill spin!? 

Lions opened late but had better snow then Ravens. The Boven face was more or less closed of, but possible to get on legally, through a maze of ropes. That resulted in no traffic and pretty much intact Midway below it! That part felt like a magic carpet! 

Toy of the day: Dynastar 4807! :) 

We're at Big White this all this week, arrived on Boxing Day and staying until New Year's Day.

I finally figured out why they call this resort "Big White": when weather fronts come through the Okanogan, this mountain gets dumped on, but then the visibility drops down to ZERO. I'm talking full white room, no frame of reference for the horizon, making you nauseous from vertigo. I had the hardest time trying to stay upright on my board, even the ski patrollers were falling down while snowplowing.

On the plus side, when you keep doing face plants while trying to heelside down green runs with only 4-5 feet of visibility, the Okanogan powder is very soft... 

Hopefully things will improve later on this week.

Geo

A very interesting day, today... 

First of, way less people then expected on a Saturday. Probably everyone was preparing for new years eve? 

Conditions vere more then strange - hero snow with decent grooming, yet shocking visibility. Indespite sub 0 temps, we had some sort of freezing rain that created a solid layer of ice on almost everyone's goggles. 

After trying various runs, eventually we settled down on Midway, which had best visibility and grooming. 

Rain changed to snow, which gradually became stronger... 

Crew: Patrick, Roy, Boris 

Toys: MK, Coiler, Kessler bxn... 

Amazing carving day, today! Cold, sunny, firm groom... Chairs started early so we've got quite a few turns before the crowds started at 10:30. At that stage we retreated to Raven, which remained reasonable. 

View from the top of Raven chair: 

14834023295760.jpg

Today's crew: Tony, Roy, Patrick, Pierre, Gary, Boris 

Weapons: 

14834110624130.jpg

Over and above riding my trusty OES SL, I tested Patrick's new Madd Killer! The board is a hoot, I'll write a more detailed report in the MK dedicated thread... 

Edited by BlueB

Another amazing day, good crisp snow, sunny, no big crowds... 

Some of the runs had yesterday's groom, but still holding well. 

Crew: Rod, Federico, B... also did a run with Mel, our staff training coordinator... 

My toys: MK and Proto. 

I'll write about today's "torture" of the MK in that dedicated thread... 

I will be there tomorrow - Thursday, I think it is. Just got to Vancouver from blue River, where they gave my Kessler SL the best tune ever. I even have a car, so no more public transport for me (did I mention I sold my company?)

Right, this time there's snow and even here it's cold. Bring it on.

P

Edited by philw
Fix typos

I'll be riding on Cypress this Thursday evening after work, see you and Luka there!

I went up Tuesday evening to get re-acquainted with the Coiler RC 179 that I bought off of Roy 2 seasons ago-  got 22 laps in on Jasey Jay before my legs wore out. The snow guns were blasting, so it was good carving weather, a 2cm dusting of snow on top of bulletproof East Coast "packed powder"...

Well good conditions here today.. I managed to ride from around 09:00 through now, but I'm a little burned and that hotel sauna is starting to tempt me. One more sunset ride down rainbow should do me.

I will catch up with you guys one day! Off to Whistler tomorrow unless something changes. If you see any trenches, the are mine!

Great pic Phil. I was watching that biblical sunset from my car, on the way to the hill... 

Yeah, conditions held pretty well into the evening. 

I was on a new to me Coiler AM 169/24/9. The thing is a beast, it might prove to be quite a quiver killer... 

Nice hardback in the morning, but big crowds later on... I had 2 hours for ripping, then 2 hrs private later on. 

My toys: AMT 169/24 for fooling around, old trusty LTD 163 twin for teaching, set quack with plates ;) 

Crew: Roy, Rod, Patrick, Tony, Pierre, B... 

Awesome hard pack in the morning! Eagle opened early, no crowd until 10:20. I rode with Perry all morning and we saw Tony very briefly. Perny rails on that Fullbag and softies! 

I rode the OES Loony in the AM. It has the edge hold bordering ridicoulous! Switched to Proto for the PM.... 

It rained on the pm at the lodge elevation, but it should dump nicely tonight! 

Nice session with instructors this morning - we did mostly steeps/moguls and finished of by a lap through park. 

There was about 10cm of fresh over night, that made steeps really nice. However the snow stopped on the am which caused the fog to roll in... 

Toy: Proto 

On 1/8/2017 at 5:42 PM, BlueB said:

Awesome hard pack in the morning! Eagle opened early, no crowd until 10:20. I rode with Perry all morning and we saw Tony very briefly. Perny rails on that Fullbag and softies! 

I rode the OES Loony in the AM. It has the edge hold bordering ridicoulous! Switched to Proto for the PM.... 

It rained on the pm at the lodge elevation, but it should dump nicely tonight! 

Good riding with you - thanks for the tips. Getting the itch to break out the hardboots now...