Note to New Members ×

WTF xl 2017

snowreport: fri mar 17, 2017

howdy all

worked in the morning and it was nice and cooler. got on snow about 1pm and the groomers looked

good and smooth, but it was hard in spots and getting soft in others. super high overcast and you

could see the park. it was on the warm side when I got there and the snow was breaking down like

loose sand. the backside was good groomers and would have been great on the hardboots, but brought

the softies. still made some good turns so it was a fun day. Wednesday was rain all day and Thursday

was sunny all day. today was nice, but tomorrow their calling for rain all day so will see if I go up. if it's

not raining before time to leave i'll go and see how long I last before I get soaked...

rode the 152wfs from 1 till 4...

snowreport: sat mar 18, 2017

howdy all

wasn't psyched to go up, but went anyways cause it was not raining, but was very wet and really humid.

looked at the webcam and the thick fog was down to the village. the bottom of ed's was nice smooth wet

slush that still held an edge first thing in the morning, I was thinking it would have been frozen concrete.

thought I would go to the backside as yesterday was good, but it was really sticky with the new snow.

the nate chute boarder cross race on goat haunt and gorge's gorge must have been slow going. today

was super foggy and the crowds was very lite, mostly the kids race team and the nate chute riders with

a few locals and tourist. there was a good wind from the south, but it wasn't cold at all, comfy temps.

made some good turns on the lower part of ed's so it was a fun day. got a little wet, but it never rained

as forecasted, but called it early anyways as the fog was thick all day.

rode the 157tomahawk from 9 till 12...

snowreport: mon mar 20, 2017

howdy all

again wasn't psyched to go up, but went anyways knowing it would be very firm. colder and windy

and the snow was a little drier. it was very funky chunky crunchy snow that would not hold an edge.

as it got chewed up it was like dry sand that you could slarve at most. icy hard in places and soft in

others with lots of dips and rollers as yesterdays slush made for very bad grooming. wanted to stay

all day as it was a beautiful bluebird morning, but never made a decent carve and it just wasn't

happening so left at 1pm. spring skiing is here and there's three more weeks of it. the off groom

was firm and no one dare go on it. it's over unless we get some new snow and colder temps.

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1...

snowreport: tue mar 21, 2017

howdy all

was on the fence to go up or not. went an hour later and took my time and rode around trying to

to dig in, but mostly just sliding on the hardpack. the sun came out for a half hour about noon

and that helped soften the snow with moisture than got cloudy and kept the snow from breaking

down too fast. yesterday was colder and the snow was drier, but today it was great spring skiing.

made some good turns so it was a fun day. met up with johnasmo towards the end of the day.

today gave me hope that there's still good carving to be had...

rode the 157fp from 10 till 4...

snowreport: sat mar 25, 2017

howdy all

kinda knew what to expect and went early anyways. the big reported 3 inches new and the snow level

was just below the top of chair 2. went to the backside and it was good soft groom as it was a little colder.

the very top of upper mully's had an inch plus of new groomed in and would just barely hold a pencil thin

line so I knew further up would be good. started to ride the frontside after my break and it was still icy,

but the sun was in and out and got a little softer then clouds would roll in with snow and cold wind and

it would get icy again. the snow did break down slowly as the day progressed. today was carvable so

it was a fun day.

rode the 157fp from 9 till 4...

snowreport: mon mar 27, 2017

howdy all

got a late start and got on snow after 10am it was thick fog down to the village. there was some new snow

over the groom that never set up last night and it was getting soft. stayed down low because the best carving

was the very bottom of ed's and the fog was in and out, but mostly clear down low. went to the backside after

my break, but it wasn't very good so back to ed's then it starts to dump, rain at the village and snowing halfway

up ed's. the new snow made it sticky and I was getting soaked so called it at 2pm. seemed ridiculous to be up

there, but made a few good turns so it was fun. yesterday was bluebird all day, but had to work...

rode the 157fp from 10 till 2...

snowreport: tue mar 28, 2017

howdy all

the frontside was hard ice as last night was a little cooler. so today a couple inches new and colder temps

made for perfect groomers on the backside. the very top of chair 2 on upper mully's was carvable so I knew

further up would be good. ed' was hard ice all the way down and with cooler temps and overcast with a good

wind from the south it never softened up. went straight to the backside and did silver tip and it was perfect

groomers. it was the best snow for carving I have been on all season. if the rest of the mountain was like that

I would be a happy camper. so lapped silver tip all day and it snowed all day with very fine snow as it got

pulverized by a good wind from the south. it was cold enough that it never got wet and the new snow was

nice and dry and accumulated to an inch by the end of the day. the backside was in great winter form and

it was like another world compared to the front. I rode that little pitch on silver tip hard and flew down the

rest and made quick laps. no more end of season blues as today felt like mid winter. rode hard all day and

it felt good to be making decent turns. today was awesome...

snowreport: sat apr 01, 2017

howdy all

took my time this morning cause we are in the freeze/thaw cycle, even the backside was icy crunchy.

it was very quite in the morning for a Saturday then got a little busier by noontime. super high overcast

that kept the snow from breaking down too fast. started to get soft by noon then it was good spring carving.

just sliding around on ice in the morning and waiting for the snow to soften then made some good turns

so it was fun, it got pretty soft by the end of the day. skipped the brewfest and dummy run on lower ed's.

snowreport: mon apr 03, 2017

howdy all

left the house and it just starts to snow then the wind picks up and starts to dump really good.

it dumped hard all morning till noon and it was nice dry snow that accumulated to an inch plus.

went to the backside in the morning and it was a little icy crunchy, but the new snow made it better.

the frontside was icy hard and the new snow helped a bit, but still it was hard to dig in till later in the day.

the sun tried to peak thru in the afternoon and the ambient temp starts to soften the snow then it gets

carvable, but not the best. the sun came out about 3:15pm and I was hoping it would get cloudy so

tomorrow would not get icy firm. I think the backside will be good groomers with the new snow.

not the best day, but it was fun and the snow in the morning made feel like winter again.

snowreport: tue apr 04, 2017

howdy all

thick fog that goes in and out all morning than mostly sunny by noon. snow was crunchy, but carvable.

rode with angry till 11:30am than did a few runs with johnasmo and skwalguy in the afternoon. started

to get fun when the sun came out. rode hard all day and was a fun day, good spring carving.

snowreport: fri apr 07, 2017

howdy all

had to work the last couple Fridays cause a kid quit, so worked all day and came home to the big's snowreport and saw this:...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Noon update: Due to heavy rain and potential lightning we are shutting down for the rest of the day. 

11:40 a.m. update: All chairs are on hold right now due to potential lightning in the area. 

We will update more when we hear more. 

10:30 a.m. update: We've seen a few isolated showers this morning, but we've stayed relatively dry. There's even clear skies to our south. Of course, the weather seems to change every few minutes, so who knows what we'll see the rest of the day.

The skiing is soft all across the mountain, and it's quite good everywhere. Pick a favorite groomer or even off-piste area and you'll be pleasantly surprised today.

Enjoy your Friday.

8 a.m. update: As I suspected, the clear weather has been replaced by a wet spring storm with the snow line rising above our summit. 

Visibility is still good from top to bottom today. This storm is exactly what forecasts have been predicting for a week, let's hope the rest of the forecast comes through for snow tonight and lasting through Sunday night. 

6 a.m. report: It's a crystal clear morning up here and the groomers say the northern lights are going off. Forecasts are calling for the first wave of the next weather system to move in today, so we'll have to wait and see if we have clear skies when Chair 1 starts turning. 

Forecasts are looking like early spring in Montana, where it just can't make up its mind. Today, wet weather arrives with a southwestern flow, so the snow line will be high, but as we move into tonight, snow should make it down to the Village. Tomorrow and tomorrow night looks to be cooler and snowy, so we could have a powder filled closing day. 

The groomers have been great despite the mild weather we've had the last few days, so we can expect similar conditions this morning with smooth, soft corduroy all across our mountain. The grooming crew buffed out 44 runs for us today.

It's Friday, which means it's pretty much the weekend. We only have three days left folks, so you don't have any excuse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

about 4:30pm today there was about 3 thunder and some huge rain earlier today... we'll see what happens tomorrow and sunday...

snowreport: sat apr 08, 2017

howdy all

forecasted to be a rainy weekend, but today was nice with blue skies in the morning then a super

high overcast that slowly builds. snow was very firm in the morning then starts to get soft by 11am.

carved good in the spring slush and everyone in a good mood. stayed mostly on chair 2 as the crowd

builds on chair 1 and everyone is bombing toni matt. today was fun power carving thru the deep slush

and today was pond skimming at 2:30pm and did not stop to watch till about 3:30pm I stopped for a few

minutes to watch a few of them. can't believe the season is over all ready... tomorrows forecast is some

snow, but I think it is mostly further south...

snowreport: sun apr 09, 2017

howdy all

wow! what a way to end the season, 6 inches of pow at the summit and 4 inches at the baselodge.

dumping a little snow in the early morning for a few hours and a little foggy that moves around. first

couple runs on ed's was good and first couple on toni matt was sweet untracked butter. wasn't too

many people early than more by noon, but the line on chair 1 wasn't very long all day. snow got wet

and huge hard push piles by the end of the day. I missed last chair by half a minute cause it took me

a while to get down cause it was so bumped up hard. anyways, it was a good powder year and we

got 407 inches and i'm glad I got a new softboot set-up. it was fun riding pow, but there wasn't very

many carving days, but the few we had was really good. this winter season was a very cold one

with a lot of minus degrees days in the first couple months. yesterday was great spring skiing and

today a great powder day, it was a great way to end the season and it always seems to go by too fast.

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 4...

• 1 month later...

Hope that doesn't bump up against ATC; we need two travel days to drive to Aspen.

I'm still working on this season.  Was up yesterday.  It's supposed to snow tonight (May 16th).

Not a lot of sunny days this spring, but got this from a week and a half ago:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...