Note to New Members ×

WTF xl 2017

snowreport: sun jan 22, 2017

howdy all

kinda of a grey start with very light snow in the morning. a couple of inches over groom and on the

creamy side. the new snow seemed to soften the hard pack groom from yesterday. still funky snow

with some chunky marbles early on then as the day went on it softened up as the sun came out about

2:30pm and it got warm and wet-n-heavy. tomorrow will be firm, but we are expecting some snow tonight.

not the best conditions for carving with the new snow that started to get heavy into wet piles, but the

groom was still there underneath. kinda took it easy as it is sunday which normally I work and like saturday

it is busy with the weekend warriors and all the kids. made a few runs later on the backside and it was good

as it was groomed last and did not get bumped up. was a fun day and made some good turns...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

snowreport: mon jan 23, 2017

howdy all

woo! kinda of a windy morning, but the sun was out and it was a great start to a great carving morning.

the strong artic wind from the north to south made the chair ride very chilly. the groomers was very good,

but the wind blew snow on the low spots on the south facing side. the sun was out all day, but the cool

temps kept the snow from getting too soft. me, angry rick, Cuban and johnasmo for a mini session than

tomorrow we should have kram from Idaho. it was great carving and carved hard all day.

rode the 165amt from 9 till 4...

snowreport: tue jan 24, 2017

howdy all

a beautiful morning with the sun shining and some blue skies and some clouds to the west. it was

a nice drier cooler temp, but as the cloud/fog moves in from the west it was the humid cold and felt

much colder later in the day. great carving snow and the boys was tearing it up. not much people on

the hill and the groom stayed good all day. tried a 156 Kessler and it worked great on the easy pitch,

but not so good on the steeper pitch as the board was a little too soft. the groom was on the firm side

and the little bumps would throw you around. it was a fun day riding with the crew...

rode the 156k from 9 till 3...

snowreport: wed jan 25, 2017

howdy all

snowing early this morning and there was two plus inches over groom of light fluffy snow. it was easy

to carve thru it and seemed to soften the groom underneath. even after it got bumped up it was still

carvable. me, angry rick, kram and Cuban carving up ed's run and toni matt. it was nice to see and

ride with kram again. had an early lunch as kram had a long drive back to Idaho. (hope you made it

home ok). it was cloudy and snowing till noonish then foggy with clear spots and some sun peaking

thru now and then. carved thru the piles of snow when it was clear of fog and had a really good end

of my day run at 2pm. today was fun, but the bumps ended my day early... great pics johnasmo...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

Sorry I missed you guys in the morning.  The sky opened up after 2:00 and made for fun carving despite the piles.   The fresh snow was cold and dry enough that you could just carve through the piles.  Thought I'd have to switch to softies today, but carved to last chair instead.

GOPR0006 (1280x960).jpg

Edited by johnasmo
  • Like 1

Conditions were pretty good at home and I got to practice what I learned over there.  Thanks for the tip and the pictures my chatter is gone. I think having that knee out was my problem. I wouldn't have known without the picture. I like being further up on the board too. I haven't messed with the cant yet. 

Edited by kram
Spelling
  • Like 1

snowreport: thu jan 26, 2017

howdy all

grey all day with high clouds and a good chilly wind from the northwest, I was cold all day and an

extra layer would have made it warmer. the groomers was on the firm side, but very carvable.

the sun was out first thing in the morning then the clouds came in soon after and it was flat light

most the time. the groomers was fast and really had to carve hard to slow it down. me, cuban

and johnasmo doing laps around the big. another good day...

snowreport: fri jan 27, 2017

howdy all

another grey foggy day with great groomers. I wasn't in the best shape cause we had dinner and

some beers at the brewery last night. so took it easy in the morning and the groomers was on the

firm side, but as the day progressed it got lightly skied off and a bit softer and it got really fun were

you could really push it. I skipped lunch and lost Cuban and saw johnasmo for a run then didn't see

him. slowly felt better and started to carve hard and made some of the tightest turns to date. about

3pm as I was slowing down to chair 1 an old fat skier runs over the tail of my board, I gave him a few

choice words, ruined a great day. I noticed the grouse under chair 1 was killed by something, the head

was missing... I didn't think I was up to it today, but it ended with some fun carving...

snowreport: sat jan 28, 2017

howdy all

typical big mountain, foggy all day then by last chair the sun hits the summit then the alpine glow

gets beautiful for night skiing. I did a couple runs into night skiing. great groomers today and it stayed

cold enough to stay consistent from opening to closing. last two runs did the bowl and larch and the

sun was out so vis was good. today is the last day of WTF xl 2017 and we had some epic carving

conditions, it always goes by too fast. the very cold temps kept the snow good and consistent thru

out the week. always glad to see Cuban, shred and kram, wish more of you could have made it.

forecast is more snow next week so hope to strap on the softies (ha ha!)... another great WTF... 

rode the 157fp from 9 till 5...

• Like 1

snowreport: mon jan 30, 2017

howdy all

yesterday had to work and it was a really cold morning and bluebird all day and heard it was busy.

today was mostly sunny with very high clouds and vis was good. the groomers was on the very firm

side and it was hard to get an edge in, barely digging in and a lot slarving, it was a fun carving day.

not too cold and temps was comfy even with a good wind about 3pm. wasn't too crowded, but alot

of people bombing the buffed out smooth groomers. met another local getting back into hardboots.

rode the 157fp from 9 till 4...

snowreport: tue jan 31, 2017

howdy all

forecast for today... 80% snow... my ass... more like 90% bluebird... it was a great carving day as cooler

temps last night made the groomers a little chalky firm and not icy crunchy. the polish ice of yesterday

got ground to some nice grippy groomers today. today was amazingly good and could make pencil thin

carves. today is the kind of day I dream about so I made sure I had lunch and stayed all day. not much

people on the hill, but still a lot of them bombing straight down. ed's was really good and stayed there

most of the time. a big cloud moves in around 1:30pm till 2:30pm and thought it was the start of the

expected snow, but it clears and it's nice again till closing. what a great carving day...

snowreport: fri feb 03, 2017

howdy all

worked in the morning and just a dusting as I left and it snowed on and off all morning. left for the mountain

and there was just about 3 inches here in town and you could almost see the summit then it starts to snow

then its whiteout. dumping all day and it was good dry snow. got on snow around 1pm and you could still carve

thru the soft piles then as the day ends its pushing the push piles. it was nice dry snow and its Friday so did a

few runs into night skiing. the days are getting longer and gets dark about 6:30pm. forecast is more snow so

tomorrow should be an epic pow day...

rode the 152wfs from 1 till 5...

snowreport: sat feb 04, 2017

howdy all

epic pow day! epic weekend crowd! high clouds just above the summit so vis was kinda good with

flat light. the big reported 8 inches overnight and it was good dry snow. it did not snow in the morning

so it was nice. went retro with the amp5 softies and the first few runs was sweet butter untracked.

did a hellfire run and it was fun, stayed mostly on the groomers with a few inches over it and some

deeper stuff on the sides. the lift line wait was very long so did not get many runs in. left early to get

home and shovel the side walk then went to our annual winter carnival and it was snowing. forecast

for Sunday afternoon till Monday is 1.5 to 3 feet...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: mon feb 06, 2017

howdy all

wow! the big reported 11 inches overnight and 14 inches in 24 hours. most schools in the northwest

corner was cancelled and it was a super busy morning. it was mostly sunny and vis was really good.

epic crowds for a Monday and the few runs I made was really good bottomless powder. today was

fun cause you could see your line. the basin opened about 12:30pm. everyone in a good mood...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 1...