Note to New Members ×

WTF xl 2017

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

snowreport: mon aug 29, 2016

howdy all

no snow yet..., but today is a 100 more days till opening which will be December 7, 2016 which is

a Wednesday. caught the free shuttle bus with my beach cruiser to the baselodge to pay for my

season pass then took a chair ride to the summit, a little smokey from fires from the south. walked

around a little and checked the progress on the summit house kitchen area. then downloaded to

the baselodge then rode my beach cruiser down haskill basin, pretty easy pitch all the way down.

pretty scary in bear and mountain lion country. well, it's been a nice summer and not too hot and

it's starting to cool down a little. had a good spring fishing and a lot of sup paddling this summer.

here's a couple of good size fish from spring...

DSCF3141 - sm.JPG

DSCF3144 - sm.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

snowreport: mon oct 10, 2016

howdy all

rained all day yesterday and thru the night and as the cooler artic air from the north came down

we got a dusting of wet snow here in town. icy rain right now at 10am as I write. if this is the

beginning we should be good by opening. here's a pic...

southsummit-10-10-16.jpg

aef4c4419fb07d25947d5b703c549fa4-10-10-16a.jpg

Edited by west carven
add another pic

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to decide between NICE, WTF, and SES.   Can probably only do 4 days whichever one I go to.   How are the roads around Whitefish during winter?  I drive a AWD sedan that will have good snow tires, but it's a little under 5" ground clearance, would I be OK driving up?  

Edited by Mike T

howdy mike t

bare bones whitefish hostel block and a half to snowbus (summer schedule) winter schedule same route,

but more stops, winter schedule will be up soon. downtowner also close to snowbus and in town. whitefish

is four blocks, five blocks and your out of town, so walking to bars and dinner is easy, of course there is stuff

on the mountain. Cuban and shred stays on the hill whitefish mountain resort stay and play deals. mention

WTF 2017 I think they know this happens every year. pm Cuban... he can give you the heads up...

I might make it to WTF this year! But I have more questions than answers.

- Is the event from Jan 19-28? That's a lot of days! Are some days more popular than others?

- I went to the lodging site above and was confused: Is any property with the word 'village' in the name on the ski hill? Do I want to stay on the ski hill?

- Is there anything to do (near the hill) after riding aside from getting drunk? 

Staying in the village is OK, but stupid expensive, and not a whole lot to go at night apart from, um, get drunk. I always stay in town - there's a free bus that runs up and down to the hill all day and into the night if you don't have a car. You then have way more options for food and entertainment, and the lodging costs are significantly lower. It's a tiny town, so easy to walk everywhere. The hill is about 20 minutes drive away.

And the session is a little bit less organized than the Nakiska one - basically, Cuban, Shred, and the locals stay and ride, and everyone else makes guest appearances.

What dates are you looking at? I'm 99.9% sure I won't make it this year, but if peeps were going to be there on the first weekend I might have my arm twisted to make the drive from Calgary.

snowreport: fri nov 04, 2016

howdy all

well not much to report, but the last few days has been really nice and today a little warmer so went

for a November paddle. it was warm in the sunshine and there was a few others enjoying the river and lake.

the snow on the southside has been disappearing, but forecast is some snow sunday afternoon on the higher elevations.

looking forward to this winter... will be pulling out some boards soon and getting them ready...

• 2 weeks later...

snowreport: wed nov 16, 2016

howdy all

rained good all last night and maybe on the hill today, but in town as I was working this morning it was very lite rain.

came home and checked the webcam and was happy to see a few inches on the baselodge cam. a few more days

of rain/snow and cooler temps then a little warm up again. only 22 more days till opening so old man winter better

get his ass in gear. seems like he is taking his sweet ass time every year. getting the gear ready... baselodge pic...

newbaselodge-11-16-16.jpg

Edited by west carven

Sorry I'm late to the party. First of all I would love to see more carvers come to WTF. Just so everyone knows this is not a production of any kind. No discounts or planed events. No party's or giveaways. It's a great place to ride good grooming not a lot of people. Great locals that carve. We do meet out for food and drinks from time to time  

Staying on mountain does have a less expensive option. The Hibernation house is $88 per night this year that's a lift ticket,lodging and a hot breakfast. I here the breakfast is very good.  And the free bus is still free taking you down to Whitefish. I use it every year. 

Great groom fun time frendley people. If you want to meet a handful of carvers with freedom to do what you want. Eat great food have a drink or don't . Come out to WTF!

snowreport: thu nov 24, 2016

howdy all

happy thanksgiving!

must have jinxed it somehow... not much new snow and the little we got a couple of days ago has

melted. more on the summit, but with these nice warm temps it's not good and the village snow

keeps going back to square one. it was very nice this afternoon with the sun out, but the wind made

it cooler, but still went for a bike ride in my shorts and flipflops and wasn't cold at all. it's 5pm now and

only 43 degrees. 13 more days till opening and I wonder if it will be delayed. the backside might be o.k.

forecast looks good for tomorrow as a big pacific front is pushing this way... i'm thankful it's ski season...

southsummit-11-24-16a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

snowreport: sat dec 03, 2017

howdy all

finally it's looking better, couple inches here in town on Wednesday and today a couple more, woohoo!

should have enough on the backside to open. the front still has weeds sticking out and you can see it from town.

forecast is a very cold Wednesday which is a first time ever opening day. no weekend warriors and school kids.

newbaselodge-12-03-16.jpg

7_Day_Kalispell.jpg

Edited by west carven

snowreport: mon dec 05, 2016

howdy all

woke up to two plus inches here in town. the artic air is coming down and tonight's low is 4 degrees

with minus degrees wind chills... burrrrrr!... snowed big flakes yesterday morning while at work, but

melted with the slightly warmer temps. still need a lot more snow, but the colder temps will make for

some good carving snow. so what to bring on opening day? take it easy on the groomers or softboot

the off groom untouched pow. here's a pic of the baselodge...

newbaselodge-12-05-16.jpg

snowreport: wed dec 07, 2016

howdy all

opening day!!! what a beautiful sunny, but a very cold day.  still very thin coverage with little gremlins

all over the place. good groomers, but lots of wavey dips and rollers, needs more snow to even them

out. snow was good off groom with about a foot off the sides of the groomers, you did not want to go

too deep in the trees. not to bad in the lift lines as most people was in the summit house to warm up.

I got stuck on Kodiak with all the little pine trees, had to unbuckle and crawl out about thirty feet, it was

deep, like a tree well. after my morning coffee break getting back into my front binding the ankle strap

breaks, but thank goodness I had the three strap, still did a couple more hours. had some good carving

and some good powder runs so it was a good day. only the backside was open and not very crowded...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 2...

snowreport: fri dec 09, 2016

howdy all

worked in the morning and it was lightly snowing all day. got on snow about 1pm, good carving snow

as the cold temps dries it out. the new snow helps grease the squeaky dried out snow. not many people

cause I think most went home already. carving by myself with my three straps, but got on the lift with

two other people and forgot about my highback and the weight of the other two snapped my backfoot

highback. made a few more runs without it and it felt kinda good like surfing or on a skateboard where

your backfeet has so much more rotation and freedom of movement, but also felt like I am going to

snap my ankle. I am so bummed it broke. getting into the grove of where my body should be.

forecast is more snow then colder temps next week...

rode the amp5 from 1 till 4...

snowreport: sat dec 10, 2016

howdy all

snowing in the morning than a little sun in the afternoon than snow again later. was a fun day cause

rode with my two nephews and some of their girlie friends. very busy day as this is the first weekend.

everything gets cut-up so fast with the huge crowds. long lines on chair 7 and not so long lines on chair 11

and t-bar 2 wasn't so bad. good dry snow with 3 inches overnight and a few more during the day. we rode

all over the backside and after awhile tried to avoid chair 7's long wait. a little warmer today...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 3...

snowreport: mon dec 12, 2016

howdy all

chair 2 opens at 9am, still many pine tops sticking up thru out the runs. still variable snow quality

with man-made snow and only a few passes of the groomers made for some uneven groom.

wavey dips and rollers with some good firm carving snow and some soft spots made for some

tricky riding. I expected very cold temps and high winds, but it was nice mostly sunny and felt a

little warmer and I was slightly over dressed. today was a fun day carving on the softboots and

the snow was just right and held an edge. very lite crowds with mostly the hardcore locals and

a few tourist. forecast is cooler temps near zero by the end of the week...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...