Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill Summer Skiing

bobble

• 3 weeks later...
On July 22, 2016 at 9:30 AM, DonPablo said:

I saw they started moving dirt. Do they put that neveplast right on he dirt? That seems messy, I was thinking it would get placed on grass.

Anyone going to the thing in Apsen this year?

I'm thinking that there will be a material underneath the plastic. They set up some sort of erosion control couple days ago. 

On Instagram there are progress pictures. The backside run will be a terrain park.   That would explain the talk about the new tow rope.  What cracks me up is every couple days someone will ask on Instagram if this years season pass entitles them to the new dry slope.  No one reads web pages anymore. If it's not on Reddit, twitter, snapchat, Instagram then it never happened.  

I am thinking of trying it. I will mount bindings to an old board and see how it goes. I am concerned about the crowd it will draw. The other day ms bobble and I were on errands and swung throughout the parking lot. I saw a ski patroller (handle bar mustache) talking to presumably other patrollers. You gotta wonder how they'll cope with injuries. I guess a 4-wheeler and the orange sled?

Re aspen. If I have time then maybe. 

• 3 weeks later...

last evening it rained 2-3 inches. 

after the rain subsided i went on an errand. i drove past buck and milkrun has large fissures in multiple locations. the erosion controls didn't work very well. 

i think they'll need to regrade the runs again which pushes start date out. i'm not sure how the neveplast will prevent future erosion.

19 hours ago, Gerg said:

That kind of flooding happened a lot, nothing new this year. The grading on Milk Run didn't make matters any worse than normal.

Gerg. So... you miss buck?

Flooding the chalet is routine at Buck? I would be concerned about black mold. 

When I saw the erosion it looked devastating. It's all filled in. When it rained again I swung by and there was a thick layer of rocks and sand blown out of the pipe near the stairs. I spoke to a new employee and she said they had already swept the lot and this was just more debris. The runs looked okay after the rain but not nearly pristine. 

19 hours ago, DonPablo said:

So they have to pick up the neveplast and regrade everytime it rains?

But that might make the terrain more interesting. It looked like the earth was mostly sand. Suppose there would be some routine maintenance. 

• 4 weeks later...

buck started laying down Neveplast sunday morning near bottom of Teachers Pet. from where i was standing at the bottom the hill it looked like the ground was not perfectly graded. there were very small windrows that appeared through the neverplast. it kind of looked like creases in carpeting. you can kind of see it in the instagram photo.

this looks fun...

i'm starting out with softies. eventually i'll break out an old board with plates.

i biked over there last sunday and saw they had half of the backside run covered. one of the guys broke out skis and was carving nicely on them. this dry-slope will be a godsend for the ski swap.

i'm concerned about falling down on neveplast. thinking of buying some firehose pants  at Duluth Trading with the integrated knee pads. not sure what do wear for long sleeve shirt. need gloves, wrist guards and some duct tape for the thumbs.

the hype and comments on buck's instagram is making me nervous that the place will be overrun. every time buck posts a picture some kid asks will there be a terrain park. #facepalm why isn't anyone asking about the waffle bar???!? 

one of the pics there's a guy skiing whom i guess is a ski coach so milkrun will likely be crowded out too.

Leather gloves, hoody, I don't own any jeans... Full face helmet? I wonder how long till milk run will be open. I think I'm going to tryout my old Burton speed with plates. I got my Madd Killer earlier this week :)

Going to try out Bald Man Brewing tonight I think. The old beer snob Patti works with at the ski shop didn't like their beer.

Edited by DonPablo

Bald man.  One of their beers tastes like those butter knot pretzels. I forget which but I liked it. Didn't like the IPA much. Place is okay  

Did you see that the bar at Buck is under new ownership?

Probably should get everyone together at one of the tap rooms.

A couple of their beers tasted buttery, I liked their session IPA, it was piney. Patti and I were up in Annandale on Saturday and we drove by a brewery, we had to make an impromptu stop. Spilled Grain Brewing I think their name was, they had 11 beers and a cider on tap. We tried 7 of them, the Irish red, raspberry, and their smash IPA were yummy. 

That's cool about Bucks restaurant, I dunno if the servers didn't care or they had no structure but service was really bad sometimes even during non-busy times. I think is was run by the people that staffed the Crystal Lake golf course in the summer, maybe skiers/boarders don't tip as well as golfers.

tuesday after work i swung by to check on progress and pick up my season passes.

the terrain park run is complete. the run looks quite smooth. they were installing a rail. for some reason the rail looks like a bit on the high side like its really going to hurt.

the jump for the airbag arrived... video...

they were also creating a tubing run which i don't understand because it looks like you would have to walk back up the hill to ride it again. i guess its a way to introduce people to the wonders of Neveplast. i expect there will be a lot of people standing at the bottom of the run looking up. they'll want to experience it first hand.

at the north end of the parking lot they were setting up the ski swap tent. it also looked like they were putting down Neveplast next to the tent.

milkrun is barely started. i think its safe to say that milkrun will not be ready on friday unless they pull all nighters.

I made it two runs, it was wierd. Not enough time to get a good feel for it. The stuff is really slippery with the slime on it. The slime gets on everything including the tow rope which makes it really hard to grip. Bring some gloves you don't care about that grip well. My weak arms got really tired. It was hard to get into my bindings, I was using standard bails (with my annoying UPZs heels) any slope and you'll start sliding that way, hard to control compared to snow. It's easy to slide on, hard to catch an edge. I kept my speed down but was able to really dig in on my second run when my board was parallel to the slope, when I did this I think I hit the bottom because I lost like 40% of my speed. My ride at 110% mentality doesn't work well here. It will be a lot better when the chairlift is running.

Got some free apps from the new bar, they were good.

• Like 1

i thought opener was today (friday)?

check this out...

Our Neveplast surface is seasoned with a lubricant to provide cooling on the board and we have found that a board with a “Sintered” base seam to work best. “Extruded” bases we are finding have a low melting point and may experience damage at high pressure points. We suggest looking up your board specifications prior to joining us on a future visit to understand your boards makeup and potential for being damaged.

I was an honorary ski shop employee last night ?

I saw some kids going non-stop, their bases probably got really hot. Taking the tow rope up and then going right back down doesn't give much time for your base to cool down. I only when down twice and took breaks at the top and bottom. Looks like I brought some of the nevaplast home with me. I took this picture this morning before I went into work.

image.jpg