Note to New Members ×

Killington race

I first skated this hill in 8th grade, which was summer of '78. My dad took me up to the 'then new' Bear Mt. road, and let me skate down to just above the 'hairpin', whereupon, he declared the rest of the hill to be 'too steep' for me. I was on my trusty solid-ash 36" home-made kicktail, Cal Slalom 7" trucks, Rad-Pad (Thanks, Yandall!) wedged risers, and grippy Road Rider #6's. It was a long enough board that I had to use multiple mini-kickturns to arc it enough to keep crossing the hill at the mid-point of the lane. It was a scary hill for a youngin', but it gave the idea to try to ride the whole thing. :eek:

That didn't happen until my Sophomore year, and I believe I was the first (along with K. Burnham) to luge that hill.  We'd made 3 sleds by then, one of a solid 7/8" thick by 5-1/2' long piece of maple (from the furniture maker down the street from me), and two of plywood, one in a single board, 3/4" ply Oak at 5' long, and a board made of two-pieces that features (yes, still have it!) removable footpegs and is just over 6' when the pegs are on. Kev and I started at the Bear Mt. intersection, toasted our shoes above that hairpin, but rode the whole hill. Later on that summer, we got clocked at 62 mph down the lower section! Those old Blue 70mm Kryptonics were hella fast! I think we ran either ExTrackers and/or Motobuilt trucks, although, K.B. did have a set of Gullwing wide Pros (not the RKP type, but the pre-cursor to Pro 3's) that might've been used. Protection was biker jackets, hockey or Flyaway helmets, double-levis, Vans shoes, fireplace gloves, and goggles. :cool:

Anyways, last year's race was 35 years since I first rode that whole hill, so that event, the Downhill Throwdown, was a special event to me. Marc Dean organized it, and I taught him how to Luge some 21 years ago, so, hey, I did manage to pass on a little of my youthful dreams to the next gen. or two. :biggthump

So, here's a link to IDF's race schedule, and if you happen to be near Killington in mid June, well, bring a camera! :lurk:

http://internationaldownhillfederation.org/races/

Parking is at the Gondola lot along Rt 4, but you can also come to the top from the Snowshed side, using the road that goes out past those condos, but the road will be closed after you get to where the gondola crosses. 

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR

• 2 weeks later...

So, Yesterday, I got a call from Mr. Dean, and he was enthused about running both the Port Jervis race in N.J., and then the Killington race right afterwards. Things look good for both races (enough hay-bales) with a lot of top riders already signed on (a concern, since Maryhill is close on the schedule, and in Washington State), so it'll be fast and entertaining! In my talk with him, I noted that I knew of a road here in VT that could, potentially, use a chairlift (vs. cattle-car trucks or the back of a U-Haul) to get competitors back up the hill.  We might have enough time to scout that out for an '017-'018 venue.  I think it'd lend to better flow of riders, less chance of an 'active' course having the unwanted obstacle of a Van in the road, and perhaps a means to bring spectators to better viewing spots, as well.

Now, Maryhill is one road I want to get back to and ride before I am too old to do so. I might even be able to race on it yet? But it has, like Killington, a childhood connection for me, as I rode it in the early 70's (loose-ball bearings, plastic board), and it's been 22 years since I've been there (honeymoon). I do miss getting out West and visiting the old haunts. Maybe next summer...

As for these two Eastern events, do as I said before; Bring a good camera, folding camp chair, sunscreen, and a cooler! It's Live entertainment at it's best, if not fastest!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I just got off the phone with Marc, and he said the NJ race went really well, but that it was mellow compared to the velocity seen at the Killington race.  I remember when a stand-up race that got into the , mid-40's was fairly fast.{had me thinking, for a sec that I could've run it?! Nah..} :nono:

Killington may see upper-60's with the Luges going maybe 70-ish. I don't know where the slide-trikes end up, but they're slower. The dude last year on a 'cafe' 20"-rim coasting bike was, by far, the fastest. :biggthump

Anyhow, practices are Thursday this week, and racing will be on Friday and Saturday (I think the Trikes run Friday, mostly) . If you want to hike up, pull off at the Rt-4 Gondola parking lot; If you want to be up top, go take the left at Snowshed at drive out past the condos, until you're near where the Gondola crosses the road (it's the flatter walk, but parking may be limited). Bring a good camera, sunscreen, cooler and folding chair, and enjoy the roadshow! :lurk:  :cool:

You young punks don't know what skateboard is . Try riding a piece of maple with steel roller skate wheels screwed onto

it. The tricky part was pounding down the steel heel cup and flattening the wings that held the skates on to your shoe.

once that was accomplished all that was left was trying to either drill holes in what was left of the skate platform or

use existing slots or big washers on the screws to attach the butchered skate body to the wood . Our equivalent to your truck was 3

3 inches wide a fixed axle and steel wheels. Keep talking guys your story is amusing but you haven't quite " been there

done that ".

• Like 1

Lowrider, ever meet Steel-Wheel Bob? Shu-Fly? Or perhaps Jack Smith?  :confused:

Granted, they're all older than me by a lil' bit, but they're in what I consider my generation of skateboarder, which would be pre-urethane wheels, perhaps Chicago trucks, definitely loose-ball bearings. I've skated with all of them (even raced Mr. Smith on Snowboard, in Pomfret, Vt.).

The 'kid' that's organizing this race event learned to streetluge from me, 22 years ago. He's semi-retired from racing (does race at informal stints in Europe, usually Switzerland), and puts these stateside races on for the love of the sport.

Now, the actual racers attending, most are over 30 years younger than me. That's fine with me. It was only 36 years back that I first ran this whole hill. At least now, it's getting run by just more than me and a few friends!

I'm posting here, just because some riders on the East Coast might want to see the evolution that longboards have brought to race scene.  

Marc moved the Start Up the Hill, which meant that riders were already pushing the upper 50's coming into the Hairpin, instead of the mid-40's!  The lower section didn't see much increase in speed (luges excepted, they gained about 5 mph as a class, so 75-ish), but it threw a few racers a loop having to plan their braking coming into 'tetanus corner', and there were some good into-the-haybales type crashes. Tomorrow is the last day, for the finals and then 'freeride' non-races finish it out. By far, this is the Fastest Hill in the East being raced on currently, and I can only think of 2-3 others that could be used that'd be as fast. The event won't return next year, unfortunately.