Note to New Members ×

Bent Bails

Hi to all

I ride a Coiler ATM with Speed TC bails. (Ibex)

during my last day at Jackson Hole I took a nasty fall, fortunately without any consequences for me other than a couple of bruises. But I did feel my rear boot twist I thought I was going to rip the binding off the board. That didn't happen but my bails became very loose. Of course I removed the screws and shifted it forward on notch, but now it's way too tight. So i suspect the bail bent. 

Would you suggest trying to bend it back os replacing it would be safer? 

Replacing it is safer. A bent bail usually signals that additional inelastic deformation will occur and cause it to snap or bend the bail further. Also, depending on the metallurgical properties of the steel used, you can probably relieve the stress by heating the bail with a torch and letting it cool. However, the bail shape is formed with strengthening in mind during the forming process. Save the guesswork and headache and just replace it.

Edited by iplaywithnoshoes
  • Like 1

Meanwhile, should you want to keep riding (not that it's wise..) on the binding with the parts as they exist, you can try to 'offset' one of the screws holding the heel block down. So, instead of two screws in the 'outer' (or conversely on the 'inner') holes , you'd put one screw in an outer hole, one on an inner hole, thus backing off by a half hole-set. Doing this does skew the block a tad (like 3mm), but can keep you from over-stressing the toe lever.

Check the inner plastic holds under the heel block, too. If this is deformed, the bail could get loose enough to 'pop' out. 

If you heat the bail, go lightly on the heat source. Mapp-gas would be perhaps too hot, but propane would be o.k., just don't soak the part in the 'blue' part of the flame, and, DON'T QUENCH IT! 

And, Yup, Replace that pup when you can.

• Like 1

I just ordered bails not too long ago  that are Ibex from this site .Both toe and heel.Are you sure that Bomber is not going to sell them anymore because if that is true I would like to know as i would like to order more for a pair of Burton bindings that I have.

you are right, my bad

I was confusing answer I got from Yyzcanuck