Note to New Members ×

Banff or Fernie in Early March?

skategoat

I'm booked to go to Fernie first week of March. But the conditions right now look really bad with all the warm temps and some rain.

It's not too late for me to change my booking so I'm now thinking Banff. 

Has anyone been to Sunshine and or Lake Louise lately? How's it look? 

I'm bringing freeride gear and looking for powder. The hard boots will stay home this trip.

Start checking out resort webcams Louise and Sunshine beginning and end of each day. The weather doesn't care when your plane lands. Are you driving from Calgary ? Fernie is nice if the snow is good. Last week and this are warm with rain at lower elevations. That might turn around but then might not. Sunshine, Lake Louise and Kicking Horse  have a good accumulation so warmer weather will not be an issue. Kicking Horse has some awesome deals on ski and stay mid week and doesn't have the crowds that Louise and Sunshine do.

Sunshine was actually pretty good on the weekend, and friends said Louise was in good shape as well. If the weather's warm then Banff might be a better bet, as the elevation in Fernie is much lower and the lower mountain there can be pretty changeable. I don't know that Fernie's having a great year - I was there mid Jan and it was icy and badly in need of snow.

If you have a car in Fernie, you do have some options if you don't mind driving. Kimberley is a fantastic hill on a pow day (and quiet) and about an hour and a half west. Whitefish is a couple of hours across the border. So either of those are easily day-trippable from there and both are fun. Plus, you can always head back to Lake Louise as well.

The weather here is a crap shoot right now. We've had April for the last couple of weeks, and it's supposed to continue into this week as well. But the Lake and Sunshine both got 5-10cm last night. so at least they're getting freshened up.

Edited by Allee

I'm actually starting out with 2 days at Kimberley. The weather there is crap too with above freezing temps for the last two weeks and with no letup in sight.

That's why I was thinking of going farther north. But even Jasper is +6 today. 

I think I will just cancel my hotel reservation at Fernie and then wing it after the Kimberley leg. I do have a car.

I was at Fernie the past 3 days, didn't end up riding... it rained all night, 2 nights. Really warm and slushy Tuesday. Today it was pouring when we woke up and the patrol said the upper slopes were getting a mix of rain and snow, but really icy. It's supposed to cool off a bit for the weekend, so things might improve. Good luck with your trip! Things don't seem busy at all, so if you look for last minute rooms, you should be ok to follow the good snow!