Note to New Members ×

Camelback '15-'16

teach

Conditions were surprisingly good today. Only three main runs, but one was Rhododendron Glen, and well-covered/groomed nearly full width. A little soft in spots (as in loose, not melty). A lot of snowmaking to cover other trails and repair damage from the rain Sat/Sun (Marjie's). The next nights are all cold so coverage should be good on other trails soon.

Anyone going this week at all?

Going with the family for the MLK weekend.  Staying at the lodge to try out the new water park.  Glad to hear they have at least one carving run open.  Were they blowing snow on Pocono Raceway?  Expecting lots of people for the long weekend so a bit apprehensive to bring a carving board if it's going to be a non-stop Chinese downhill.

My best wild speculation says that maybe the late start to the season will keep the crowds down for this MLK day. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking...

No snow being blown on Raceway when I was there. It was all grass. That's a shame because it diverts a lot of traffic from Rhododendron Glen. But I bet they'll be doing that tomorrow.

It looks like Raceway might be ready for MLK weekend. They had it mostly covered, together with some piles they'll push around. A lot more snow today, more runs open and well-covered (Marjie's, Tut, don't know what else). pmorita, probably worth bringing a carving board.

It was a lot less busy today that previous seasons leading up to MLK weekend, never waited for a chair. Maybe that means the weekend won't be as crazy as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

How was MLK weekend? I went Monday afternoon/evening and it was nice, not crowded at all, very fast snow. This week was pretty good, except the constant snowmaking made it pretty raw and patchy. Generally firm and not too fast.

Raceway should be open now. There were huge piles of snow being pushed around on it Friday.

Anyone going tomorrow afternoon?

Hi Teach,

Went MLK weekend and the snow was too soft and sugary for a good carve so I stuck to soft boots.  Monday looked like the right day as the snow firmed up so I think you got it right.  

Interesting thing was that there was a group of younger people wearing Camelback racing team jackets carving on Kesslers and other assorted gear, including a plate.  Pretty good and nice seeing guys and gals out.  When I took a run in hard boots on Sunday, they came spotted me and tracked me down to see who I was and introduce themselves.  Very nice to see. 

Couldn't get out yesterday but the web cams looked good.  Over groomed as usual.  Booked a second weekend trip for Easter weekend end of March.  Embarrased to say, but the best part of the trip for the family was the new indoor water park.  They have a flowrider that my kids and I took lessons on one evening and I'm still recovering.  

Hopefully a day trip before then.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone going this weekend? Nice cold overnight temps... could be good? Monday was great! New BOL member Bearlong was shredding on the 182 Donek. I've never seen someone hop on a big alpine board for the first time and just carve it up! I hope he posts some photos...

• 3 weeks later...