Note to New Members ×

Coiler Revelation

bigwavedave

I was going to wait until I got a few more days on this board, but it looks like winter is on hold here, and I'm bored.

Basically, I told Bruce I wanted his version of a race board, with all the latest tweaks, but with a narrow range side cut. A big brother for my 175 11-12scr REV. We settled on a 179 with a 13-14scr and 20.5 waist.

Nose 25.7  Tail 25.2  Taper 5mm

Two weeks later, I had a new board! 

post-2809-0-61310500-1449368446_thumb.jp

I promised to give some feedback and I think our correspondence provides a good review of this board and what fun it can be to work with Bruce: 

I built it a few days ago and tested in on Fri.  
SUCCESS! Real nice rhythmic feel from edge to edge with decent pop. Snow was still a bit sugary so I couldn't really push it as consistently as hard as I would have liked to. Enters turns very confidently. The stiffer race mid and tail allow the bend to transfer a bit more towards the nose which helps with that. It is really very similar to the VSR FCs I built a few years ago. Those were modeled off of race boards but this version of course has the latest tweaks. May just have to reintroduce that model. Big difference is the near radial sidecut. 

So I'm in the shower and think to myself ( best thinking often happens there) this design is a bit of a revelation. Simply putting together a few previous designs in a new package and the outcome sure was fun. So of course I say, yeah, got the new name " Revelation" Then 5 seconds go by and I think hmmm, kinda sounds like Rev (-:

Hi Bruce,

Got out yesterday on some pretty nice snow, firm packed sugary groom in below freezing temps! I need to ride it again to give you better feedback because I was having too much fun and not really thinking too much about how it  rode. 

Initial impressions are that it is very smooth, the groom was firm with some irregular surface, but I wasn't really aware of it until I got bounced into the air a couple of times, but the board handled it like a champ. 
DCW

I'll get you some feedback soon too, just made a duplicate for myself and put it in the press a minute ago(-:
Look forward to your findings.
BV

Hi Bruce,

Rode the Revelation for 4 hours straight yesterday on near perfect, firm packed powder (1-2" deep trenches) at Indianhead. The best carving within a days drive, wide, smooth slopes including some fairly steep, albeit short sections.

First of all, after riding last week, I decided to move the bindings 1cm (1 set of inserts) forward of the centered reference stance. Felt like I put too much pressure on the tail and not enough on the nose. I think I mostly ride centered and tend to get in the back seat in a fast acceleration, so appreciate the stiffer tail giving me something to push off into the next turn. I was even getting a little air in the transitions when I wanted it.

Overall, the ride is super smooth over variable surfaces, really seems to absorb lumps and bumps, and exceptional edge hold on ice. Very easy and quick edge to edge. I think the softness in the nose makes it ease into a turn  before it really locks in, and then if I push into it, I can really bend the board into a surprisingly tight turn.  I felt like a better rider, no worries about that patch of ice or that bump, I could feel confident that the board  would handle it.

This is probably all stuff you already know. I wish I could give you some constructive criticism. I think you really nailed it!

I enjoy having 2 similar boards with different personalities. To make a general comparison I think the Revelation 
 feels more like a Kessler (except a little more fun and lively), whereas the REV feels more like an SG.

I'm very happy with the board, so thank you. 

David Wiencke

The feedback is always welcome. I put extensive mileage on mine over the last few days and one thing I also found was I needed to move about 1 cm forwards to get the balance point. This if good info as I will adjust that insert placement in the next similar boards I build after checking the dimensions to educate myself as to the need for that. I rode it dead centered on the inserts but needed to lean a bit more forwards to keep the nose settled, I'm often too lazy to adjust things(-:
Others who rode it also found the smoothness and energy from edge to edge. Testing it back to back with a softer mid section board like an EC or Nirvana, they will hang in a bit better on hard and icy snow while using less than ideal technique but the pop from the Revelation definitely adds a level of excitement. I somewhat knew this stuff but I have been surprised before during testing so its always good to verify things.

Thanks for the great inspiration to put those designs together. Often it happens that any new boards come from riders ideas and I just put together what they ask for if it makes sense. In this case it certainly made sense(-:
Cheers, BV

Edited by bigwavedave
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...

Dave was kind enough to let me ride this Coiler Revelation at Indianhead. Wow. I fell in love! 

It has that stable feel of a race board but has a freecarve-type finish to the turn. So awesome! I could ride this board all day. The 13/14 sidecut is more versatile than you think; only missing out on the severe top speed carving that I don't like to do any more. It laughed at scraped-off ice patches, plowed through soft patches, and just felt like an extension of my body. I didn't have to think about the board at all - it just disappeared under me. 

I had put my name in for a summer build for a race board. I'm changing my order to a copy of this board! Even the Safari-inspired graphic will stay with a small tweak to personalize it. 

• Like 2

It's a 13-14 scr with 5mm taper, so I wouldn't say it hooks-up, but it does like to complete turns. It rides more like a single sidecut than the vscr found on most modern raceboards. Turn shape is changed by how far on edge you go and how much pressure you add to decambering the board. All with the performance of a metal raceboard (edge hold, dampness, some rebound etc),  you just get to sit back and enjoy the turns a little longer if you want!

For a reference comparison concerning the ride, generally, I find Coilers have a similar feel to Kesslers, and the REV feels similar to the SG Full Race. Two different personalities, one softer, one stiffer, both great rides that get the job done. I have a REV with a slightly smaller (11-12m), near radial scr that I love just as much. Some days I prefer one over the other and it's difficult to say exactly why. Could be conditions or how I'm riding that day?

Edited by bigwavedave

On 3/18/2018 at 8:11 AM, Corey said:

....just felt like an extension of my body. I didn't have to think about the board at all - it just disappeared under me. 

Such a great description─poetic! I struggled to find the right words to review this board, but I think you found them!