Note to New Members ×

Big Sky 15-16

ExcelsiorTheFathead

Saturday 4/9, Day 75:  Overnight temps were in the high 30s so I was on first chair on Ramcharger this morning.  I thought that SoCo might be perfect right from open but it was still pretty firm.  I hid out in the warming hut until 9:45 and caught the Window of Carving Goodness which ran from around 9:49 to 10:49.  Ambush at 11 AM was still too firm for me.

Next winter is probably Sun Peaks but I haven't bought the pass yet, so I'm not committed.

Sunday 4/10, Day 76:  El Dorado is not groomed, so I'm less motivated to go out early.  It was also below freezing overnight and cloudy in the morning, so i went to the gym instead then waited until 1:15 to try the front side of Andesite.  More sun had come out and temps were just above freezing, but I was a little too late.  I could make good turns on Ambush and Tippys but they were starting to feel soft.  I was too tired to ride hard so I just went over to Mr. K to cruiso-slarve it as fast as the (easy) terrain would let me.  The snow was soft but not mush, and the Coefficient of Suck was pretty low so it was still a good time.  Out at 2:30.   The resort was pretty darn empty.  We'll see if free Sky Card days bring people out starting from tomorrow.

Monday 4/11, Day 77:  On El Dorado at 9:30 to find the cord tops starting to soften in the sun.  Grooming is good and there was excellent carving for about an hour.  Helena Fred was out again,  this time riding a 180 REV.  Ambush at 10:45 was too firm and had some weird waviness from being groomed while mushy.  More people are at the resort compared to yesterday, but it is still empty.

Tuesday 4/12, Day 78:  Well above freezing overnight and sunny again.  El Dorado at 9:10 is wicked good, but the Southern Comfort lift is choking on a drumstick.  Something like 2-3 laps of time during the Prime Window of Epic Goodness was wasted on lift issues. 

What's the problem?  The Boyne Corporation which manages Big Sky.  Boyne simply doesn't understand the meaning of the words "Lift Maintenance".  I've seen more lift issues here at Big Sky than any other place I have been.

I still got a number of magically good runs in before turns started to break loose just before 10:30.  I went over to Tippys where the cord tops were already soft.  It was just a little firm and probably would have reached an optimum state around 11 or so. 

I'm getting a little timid about really opening up on the steeper runs now that the end of the season is here.  I've got things to do after the season ends and I don't want to be injured.  I couldn't afford it in any case.  I got the bill for fixing up the cut on my finger 3 weeks ago and they are trying to extract $1200 from me.  I couldn't possibly afford a real injury.

I'm getting a little timid about really opening up on the steeper runs now that the end of the season is here.  I've got things to do after the season ends and I don't want to be injured.  I couldn't afford it in any case.  I got the bill for fixing up the cut on my finger 3 weeks ago and they are trying to extract $1200 from me.  I couldn't possibly afford a real injury.

Going without insurance is pretty much asking to go bankrupt (somewhere it said up to 60% of bankruptcies are caused by medical bills).  I went in for an ER trip, and had a series of things that all piled up and manifested itself into worrying if I had a heart problem.  I was going to tough it out, but a Doctor friend and wife insisted I go and get checked.  Urgent care wasn't an option.  Was in the ER for less than 2 hrs., just sitting on a chair waiting for test results.  Had an EKG that lasted about 5 minutes, and they decided I needed a CT scan.  $7500 was what they were going to bill me (I have insurance, and it cost me $90).  I knew what was wrong--cracked rib from surfing and Statin Drugs for Cholesterol reaction--but I couldn't take a chance.  If you get by for less than a couple of grand ($2000) for a trip to the ER, consider yourself lucky.

Hey Art,

It wasn't directed at you,but anyone who thinks about trying to get by.   I know you have a catastrophic policy.  I did do some checking on insurance rates and when we were talking about the increase in your rates, and you were the lucky recipient of age.  You went up 2 age categories which accounted for pretty much doubling your rate, and then added to the annual increase between 2000 and 2012, we were pretty much screwed.

When I moved out to Washington state in 1989 my insurance was $40.62/month, and by 2006 my insurance was up to $330/month for worse coverage.  I was in the 55+ age category.  It gets much worse at 60 and  64 the last year they can screw you is confiscatory.  My wife's policy is around $500/mo with a $10K deduct.  

We need a national health care policy.

Rode up with Pussbag and enjoyed talking with him.  My son and his friend have hit it form opening bell.  12 treed bumps runs and 4 or 5 groomers.  Trees have a light foot of fresh and it's still snowing.  Probably the best glade runs of the year.  Someone had a business meeting at 1:30 so we skied back in for lunch.  Legs are getting close to toast.  Maybe have to save it for tomorrow.

This has been a fabulous day.

• Like 1

Darn, darn, darn, darny, darn.  Even though I bought a Sky Card in hopes of being there this weekend, social commitments had me drive through to MN instead.  With 15 fresh in the last 48 hours and a sunny forecast for Saturday, it looks like its going to be an awesome closing weekend.  Enjoy!

Saturday 4/16, Day 79:  Sunny and cold in the morning, around 19F at open.  The main parking lot was nearly full even at 8:30.  I first went to El Dorado but it was lumpy and uneven below the groom which had an additional 2" of new on top.  Deep South had been groomed on 2nd shift and was smooth but chalky soft.  After a few laps there I went down soft Ambush then did laps on Mr. K.  The resort got pretty busy with Saturday people and Pond Skim Weirdos.  Around 10:30 I ran into Russ as I was heading back to my car.  On the Montucky parking lot shuttle I was sitting next to a young guy who had just broken his collarbone on his first run.... ... in the park, no doubt.  I got out of my gear and walked back, ate some lunch then went out to the bottom of Ambush for the Pond Skim. 

20160416 130522

20160416 135100

Powder, powder, trees, powder, bumps, more powder and trees.  The last 2 days here were some of the best of the Winter.  Headwaters had a good 2' today.  2nd chair up and pretty much untracked, and then the lines started.  Will be glad when they get the new chairs in the Bowl and up Challenger.   Busiest day of the year, but on the Moonlight side, it was pretty clear of the crowds.  Only 1 lift line on the six shooter of any consequence

The tree runs were all to ourselves.  Saw almost no one and conditions were excellent.  One more day left.  Will be early out on the lifts and planning on doing at least one trip up to the peak before heading to Shedhorn and Dakota.

Sunday 4/17, Closing Day, Day 80:  On El Dorado at open in bright sunshine but cold temps in the mid 20s.  These south-facing runs are pretty bad from thaw-freeze and pockmarked cord from being groomed while wet and sticky.  Tippys was ok on top but wavy and hard down low.  Upper Mr K. was stellar: chalky and firm.  The lower part was a little crunchy.  I went up the Triple and found decent snow up Upper Morningstar but mostly just stayed on Mr K with one run on CJ.  Out at 11:30.  Attendance was way down from yesterday.  It seemed like a normal Sunday.

On Calamity Jane

post-304704-0-63955000-1460936379_thumb.

Bumpy beat me to Mr K.

post-304704-0-64652100-1460936360_thumb.

Me on Mr K after straightlining down from Jay Walk to have enough speed.  This was the last run of the season.

post-304704-0-03334700-1460936304_thumb.post-304704-0-14911600-1460936329_thumb.

• Like 1

Some reflections on Big Sky:

Pros

- Best terrain-to-rider ratio that I've experienced yet.  Big Sky is like a sponge that soaks up people and keeps it from feeling too crowded.  Its remote location keeps people away.

- The selection of carving runs is reasonably good to satisfy most people. 

- Grooming is ok.

- Outside of carving, there is just about every other kind of terrain short of a pipe.

- Camera whoring exists here, but the photographers are less action-oriented and concentrate more on portrait shots.

- Cold temps and higher altitudes tend to keep the snow conditions good thru closing day.

Cons

- Snowmaking is inadequate.  Tippys is the only run with complete top-to-bottom coverage and it is too scary to carve during the early season.  There is no ability to create a rock-free easy cruiser with artificial snow.  Mr K. has snowmaking down low, but the upper section can be an ugly rock fest until enough natural snow covers it up.  More than some other resorts with snowmaking, be prepared for rock damage during the early season.

- Many runs are rotated in and out of the grooming schedule, so some runs are left ungroomed at inconvenient times.

- Lift Maintenance is poor.  Boyne will skimp in order to save money and this results in occasional inconveniences.  Two new lifts are supposed to be installed this summer.

- The most hardcore carving runs are in shadow during the morning in the depths of winter.

- Sometimes it is colder than heck here.