Note to New Members ×

WTF 2016

snowreport: fri jan 29, 2016

howdy all

the last day of WTF16 was an ok day, high overcast and lite fog just on the summit.

good carving on the top half then scraped polish ice down low. a few inches of pow

on top and nothing on the bottom. Cuban paul and me making laps on toni matt and

hamming it up for some photos, but the photographer is where the polish ice starts.

was a fun day and ended with with a dinner at the hellroaing chalet with the crew.

thank you Cuban for dinner and the photos, I hope you got out on your new flight,

have fun in Tahoe. I hope to see everyone again next year... WTF16 had some

challenging conditions all week with a couple of days of good carving...

forecast for Saturday is powder!...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 1...

snowreport: sat jan 30, 2016

howdy all

I was so excited that we got 10 inches of pow that I forgot my helmet, was walking

to the snowbus and was almost there when I realized I didn't have it. was only a half

hour late and that put me near the end of the gates. took a half hour wait for my second

chair ride, it was crazy busy. mostly sunny in the morning then some clouds rolled thru

later in the afternoon with lite snow. it was a fun pow day and had some good runs

down the face and a couple in the basin. kinda took it easy at first then rode a little

harder by the end of the day. forecast is cooler next week, should be good groomers...

rode the 152flagship from 9:30 till 3...

snowreport: mon feb 01, 2016

howdy all

wow! what a great carving day, saturdays 10inches then a couple more on sunday

made for some great groomers, gonna call it "hero cords" today. sunny with some

clouds rolling thru then by 11:30am, the fog comes in and kinda thick at times then

by 1pm its in and out till closing. it was colder in the morning and my hands was

freezing then by noon it felt warmer and comfortable. really pushed it hard and didn't

stop for lunch and was getting hungry so called it 3pm, but it was still good and I didn't

really want to stop. got a dental appointment at 2pm tomorrow so kinda bummed, but

will try to get a few hours. should be good again...

rode the 176vsr from 9 till 3...

snowreport: tue feb 02, 2016

howdy all

sorry closed

sick as a dog

probably the best carving day so far. mostly sunny. had to cancel my dental

appointment. I was thinking of going up for a few hours cause I know it will

be very good. yesterday was so good, I was laping the frontside just to get

to the top section of bedrock it has the right pitch for laying down some good

carves. i'm sure I missed the "best day ever". did 37,216 vertical feet yesterday.

snowreport: sat feb 06, 2016

howdy all

haven't been on the mountain since Monday and I know it has been very good.

a slight warm up here in town so I thought it might be a bit firm, but today it was

just right with a dusting of new on the groomers. mostly sunny skies with puffy

clouds passing thru and the wind slowly picks up and by noontime its blowing

pretty good from the southwest. sunny now and then and groomers was really

good and could just let the board do its thing, just let er rip and everything sticks.

had a really great day and wanted to stay longer, but called it at 1pm to eat lunch

then watched our whitefish winter carnival parade here in town. today was super fun...

snowreport: mon feb 08, 2016

howdy all

super high overcast and you could see the park. sun comes out about

noon then gets wet and soft in the afternoon. great groomers early

and rode hard from the get go. chair 2 had issues so chair 1 opened

early. so i'm almost at headwall and kinda slowing down and in my

transition to heelside when this old man is right there and almost

hit him. I had to skid and fell just to avoid him, so I chased him

down to the gates and shove him and a few choice words. it was not

crowded and he had plenty room, but he had to creep up on my butt,

he was clueless. other than that today was a very good carving day.

got a bit wet and soft so tomorrow might be firm. forecast is warm

temps all week with no snow...

rode the 176vsr from 9 till 2...

snowreport: tue feb 09, 2016

howdy all

another great carving day, bluebird all day. I thought it was going

to be icy in the morning after yesterdays slushy afternoon, but it

was just right. great carving early and lightly skied off so stayed

good all day, but the sun baked the snow and by noon it started to

get soft. the hardpack underneath was getting soft and carving was

still good then by 1pm it was getting sticky slushy. pushed hard and

had a really fun day, everyone seemed to enjoy today...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

snowreport: sat feb 13, 2016

howdy all

lite snow early for the first half hour, a lite dusting over wet cement, hard in spots

and soft in others. very funky conditions plus tried to ride my f2 157sx with my

burton winds and could not ride it, struggled on three runs down eds and could

not turn the dam board. I had so much fun on it last year with my reactors and

could rip it on icy stuff and make some really tight turns. I rode it so much I wore

the p-tex down and it is now edge high, needs a base grind. so a wasted day,

kinda busy, but I left early, probably got busier later. heard there was a lot of

people got off the train and with three day weekend and Canadian holiday its

going to be very busy the next few days.

rode the 157sx from 9 till 10...

photos from WTF2016 by Mountain Life Photography - cropped by me

snowreport: mon feb 15, 2016

howdy all

didn't know what to expect, three inches of new over night, it must have fallen after

the groomers. kinda foggy in the early morning then starts to clear with big puffy clouds

flying by with some sun peaking thru now and then. rode with my nephew and his girl

friend. cruised all around the mountain and had a fun day. good powder over groom

and the bottom of the mountain was sticky slow, then later in the day it goy slushy.

rode the 152flagship from 9 till 3...

snowreport: tue feb 16, 2016

howdy all

not as good as yesterday, less new snow, more sticky down low, snowing icy rain,

then some snow. got a little wet, the top was foggy, the front bottom was very sticky

so most people stayed on the backside. there was some good powder if you know

where to go. didn't stay too long, but cutting it close to the 12pm snowbus and just

missed it so had a burger and a beer at the stube.

rode the 152flagship from 9 till 12...

snowreport: sat feb 20, 2016

howdy all

big mtn snowreport reported 5inch overnight so I thought that there would be a few

inches over some fresh groom, but there was more and should have brought the

softies. well, Tuesday was spring slush wednesday was wet, Thursday was full on

rain all morning here in town, Friday was slightly cooler and clear. today was snowing

good all morning. it was nice and dry fine snow and the powder was very good.

still had fun on the hardboots and took it easy and cruised all around. forecast is a

warm sunday then a slight cool down midweek then a warm weekend...

snowreport: mon feb 22, 2016

howdy all

lite fog on the very top, colder than I thought, snow very funky down low, snow is

like sand and granular. yesterday was bluebird all day and must have gotten slushy.

the freeze thaw is here. rode the factory prime and kept washing out as the snow

was loose down low. was a fun nice day... forecast for Tuesday is bluebird.

rode the 171fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: tue feb 23, 2016

howdy all

"you guys should have been here"," best day ever", "epic groomers"... started like it was

going to be a bluebird day, but a dark cloud comes from the north and kept things cool.

very good on top of two and the bottom not so bad. stayed on two then went to the summit,

but it was kinda on the firm side so back down to two. then as the clouds goes in and out

and the sun warm things up the top side gets better. the last couple hours lapping ptarmigan

bowl which was really good and fun. the bottom was getting slushy then kinda firmed up

with some cloud cover then as the mountain closed the clouds disappears and its blue skies.

pushed really hard all day and it was one of the better days...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 4...

• Like 1

snowreport: fri feb 26, 2016

howdy all

worked in the morning, but got on snow just before 1pm. bluebird all day and it was

warm and soft and already little push piles and bumpy. still was some great carving

at the end of the day like under chair 5. lots of soft chewed up carving on toni and

some places better than others. left my under jacket home and it was still warm.

fun spring skiing and theres still 44 more days... forecast is rainy weekend...

rode the 165amt from 1 till 4...

snowreport: sat feb 27, 2016

howdy all

lite snow early morning then kinda heavy by noon. really thick fog on the top half

of the mountain. started on the backside cause it was wet down low and it was better

snow anyways. did a frontside just to see how it was and it was icy hard so stayed

on the back and took it easy. thick fog on the ant hill till halfway down, run of the day

was silvertip. Monday and Tuesday is special Olympics so it will be busy on the lower

mountain. forecast for this week is warm wet weather some rain/snow...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

snowreport: mon feb 29, 2016

howdy all

an extra day of powder, it was snowing hard from opening till 3pm and it was good

lite snow. the wind blew hard from the west and some spots would refill just from the

wind. it was a point and shoot kinda day and cruised around. some good carving on

the backside early then just surfed the powder. lots of sliding on the frontside icy

hardpack. tried a new to me old raichle 323 with my reactors liners and it worked fine.

rode the 157fp from 9 till 3...

snowreport: tue mar 01, 2016

howdy all

thought it was going to be good with yesterdays four inch of new lite snow, but it

was kinda slow sluggish snow and down low was the freeze, thaw, granular crunchy

snow. high overcast early then starts to lightly snow by 11am then snowing pretty

good by noon then the fog starts to get lower and by 2pm its down to chair 2. on the

chilly side and the snow never got too soft. was an ok day and just worked on some

vertical. forecast is some rain in town and snow up high the next few days...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3...

snowreport: fri mar 04, 2016

howdy all

worked till 11:30am then up to a bluebird big mountain got on snow about 12:30pm.

looking for brudda dane, but he found me so we rode a bunch and had a great day.

it was bumped up when I got there and getting slushy. these warm bluebird days

does not help the snow and now we need some new stuff to get it back to shape.

made some good turns so it was fun. tomorrow should be icy in the morning then

soft in the afternoon. forecast is snow before 11am then rain...

rode the 165amt from 12:30 till 3...

snowreport: sat mar 05, 2016

howdy all

a very wet day, but a fun day riding with brudda dane. the frontside was hard crunchy ice

from the spring freeze/thaw, but the backside was pretty good carving snow so did a lot of

runs back there. lite rain all day and by 1pm it was raining on the summit and the backside.

made some good turns early then mostly just cruising around. winter seems to be getting

shorter. forecast is a rainy sunday then slightly cooler next week...

thank you dane for the dinners... hope you make it back anytime...

rode the 176vsr from 9 till 3:30...

Mahalo Wes for all the riding ,  did make it back OKAY enough to get a few turns up at Schweitzer but it had rain on the weekend to my surprise it was boilers and hard pack not enough to enjoy ..  hele on home  and settled back to real time But .... I was reminiscing the turn throughout the week at Big Sky with the locals and Sensai Art  and many others who we connected with. making the dream possible .. Glad to see the forecast this week with colder temps and snow forecasted the next few days...    No more bumbai , there will be a next time .. Aloha  

snowreport: mon mar 07, 2016

howdy all

early this morning there was one small cloud on the big and blue skies all around.

thought it was going to be a bluebird day, but as the mountain opened the clouds

started to build and it was mostly cloudy. with the rain on Saturday and sunday

the frontside and the backside was hard as ice. so took it easy and slid around till

it softened up. then about 1ish it started to get soft then by 2ish the top gets soft.

ptarmigan bowl gets good than gets too soft. the clouds kept the snow cool and

it did not get slushy, but the spring corn was like riding on sand. not the best day,

but still had fun and made some good turns...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 4...

aloha brudda dane it was fun riding and hanging out with you...

allee closing weekend is always fun... just saying...

Cuban i'm glad you had some great carving in Tahoe...