Note to New Members ×

• 1 year later...

I've been thinking about something like this for several years and I started building a "little house on a trailer" in October. Mostly finished with the exterior and getting ready to install the wood stove (central heat & sauna/wet bath) so I can start work on the interior (lots of sub-zero temps here lately). No loft, 12x24 feet, plan to park it next to a river that flows into Lake Superior south of Duluth near the ski hill and trails. If someone starts a tiny home community in the Roaring Fork Valley, I'd seriously consider dragging it out there! I spend about 6 weeks living on a 32" sailboat every summer so this will feel spacious in comparison.

little house (1) (640x480).jpg

Edited by bigwavedave

One of the people who occasionally dogsits our mutt (pictured in Bryan's post above :-) is "retired" from a professional career...I'd guess she's in her mid-30s. "retired" in quotes because she's going back to school for architecture. How did she manage to have the time / money to do that at her age? She converted her garage to a small dwelling - approx 300 square feet - moved in, and is renting out her house. Given how high rents have gotten here recently, I imagine that's covering the mortgage and probably a big chunk of her living expenses too. I know this lifestyle is not for everyone, and she told me she was still trying to figure out where to put her snowboard (I know, just one?!?), but I have to say it sounds pretty appealing. 

On 5/19/2015 at 10:18 AM, www.oldsnowboards.com said:

20150515_142530.jpg

Decking in place,  Chance holds down the center while I get more screws!  He thinks it is fine!  

Next fenders, edges, hold downs, jack and wiring.

Oh, the irony Dan.   My "Trailer" is now stacked four feet high with the remnants of a snowboard company. 

On the other hand I just got the keys to this house and would love to do something in the Air BNB type Theme house style. 

"House of Oldsnowboards" sort of thing.   I don't think I have the time to do it right now but maybe down the road. Currently it 

is about getting it rented to help pay the loan payments.    http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/23237866_zpid/globalrelevanceex_sort/45.631792,-122.633646,45.629774,-122.637294_rect/17_zm/?view=public

Anyone want to be my neighbor?    1400$ per month is what I hope to get but I may have to settle for less.   It is a pretty cool but small home.  HUGE yard!!. 

On 4/29/2015 at 1:09 PM, breeseomatic said:

Has anybody thought about tiny living?  As in living in a house that has less than 400sq/ft footprint, typically built on a trailer frame and rolls on wheels?

Not exactly what you are talking about but: I live in a *tiny* San Francisco studio apartment, whose square footage totals up to right around ~550 square feet (that's generous and in totality: including kitchen, bathroom and closets). It requires a bit of discipline (don't own stuff you don't *need*) but there are plenty of upsides to living small. Despite the small living space I have lots of (extracurricular) stuff: four surfboards, three snowboards, a bike, lots of camera equipment, camping equipment, automotive equipment (tools, parts maintenance etc ... ). The key for me is I have a walk-in closet that I have engineered the living shit out of so all my toys are out of view. The main living area is fairly minimal and uncluttered. Every piece of furniture I own has storage space (except the chairs). I do not have a storage unit: its all in the apartment.

What living small means to me: Clothing I no longer wear gets donated, things I no longer use are sold immediately, only the most sentimental items of non-utility are kept. The result is that everything in my house is something I need or love — which is a great way to live. Living in a small space means getting rid of a lot of the bullshit in your life and focusing on what really matters to you, which is great. I just redecorated my entire apartment: because my place is so small I was able to afford all the nicest pieces that I wanted because I need so little ... I'm not outfitting a huge house with many rooms; and buying fewer items means being able to afford very nice things. Keeping my apartment spottlessly clean is super easy: because it is tiny. 

It's not for everyone but I love it. I wouldn't mind a bit more space someday ... but not much.

My building does not have a garage so I park my car in a secure paid spot a few blocks away, my most irritating and onerous expense but well worth it nonetheless. Currently the only problem I am trying to solve is I'd like to get some snow+ice tires for my car and don't really have anyplace to store them. I could put them on my balcony but ... gross.

Edited by queequeg

3 hours ago, Allee said:

Big difference between Vancouver, WA and Vancouver, BC as far as house prices go ...

Congrats Bryan! Hope it works out for you!

I am guessing it is allot higher??? 

I am excited about the house.  It is a bit funky but it is going to be a nice place and I may already have a renter before even listing it!!! 

I have a 5th wheel camper I might put in the back portion of the yard after I put in a fence about half way back (big yard)   Laws are changing to provide "Infill" and perhaps some day I can put a tiny house back there for guests?? 

fsadg.jpg

asdf.jpg

8 minutes ago, www.oldsnowboards.com said:

I am guessing it is allot higher??? 

I am excited about the house.  It is a bit funky but it is going to be a nice place and I may already have a renter before even listing it!!! 

1100 square feet anywhere in Vancouver proper (as opposed to one of the suburbs) is at least a million.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 1/9/2017 at 2:00 PM, queequeg said:

Currently the only problem I am trying to solve is I'd like to get some snow+ice tires for my car and don't really have anyplace to store them. I could put them on my balcony but ... gross.

Try the Nokian WRG series. Winter tires but designed for year round use.

Works really well esp on the smaller cars (had 90,000km on my first set). No tire change , no extra rims.

Edited by Zone

3 hours ago, Zone said:

Try the Nokian WRG series. Winter tires but designed for year round use.

Works really well esp on the smaller cars (had 90,000km on my first set). No tire change , no extra rims.

In the off season I like to run high-performance summer tires ... since my car makes a few more ponies than usual, and I enjoy driving. Might as well get dedicated winters.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/5/2017 at 9:49 AM, bigwavedave said:

I've been thinking about something like this for several years and I started building a "little house on a trailer" in October. Mostly finished with the exterior and getting ready to install the wood stove (central heat & sauna/wet bath) so I can start work on the interior (lots of sub-zero temps here lately). No loft, 12x24 feet, plan to park it next to a river that flows into Lake Superior south of Duluth near the ski hill and trails. If someone starts a tiny home community in the Roaring Fork Valley, I'd seriously consider dragging it out there! I spend about 6 weeks living on a 32" sailboat every summer so this will feel spacious in comparison.

little house (1) (640x480).jpg

@bigwavedave how's your tiny house? is it all finished?

more importantly... did you have problems with the rain/flood?

think your rent is about to go up...

http://www.startribune.com/duluth-becomes-the-latest-city-to-look-to-tiny-houses-to-address-affordable-housing-woes/564015942/

4 hours ago, bobble said:

@bigwavedave how's your tiny house? is it all finished?

more importantly... did you have problems with the rain/flood?

think your rent is about to go up...

http://www.startribune.com/duluth-becomes-the-latest-city-to-look-to-tiny-houses-to-address-affordable-housing-woes/564015942/

Still working on it Bob. Really haven't had much time since I made the big move last spring. Sailing around Superior took up much of my summer. 

Lake Superior has been about ½ meter above average for the past 2 years. That big Nor'easter last week created a seiche that raised the water level at this end of the lake (including where I am on the St Loius River) about 2½ feet in a few hours .  I might need to get an anchor for the tiny house! The harbor in Duluth recorded it's highest water level in history.

IMG_3837.JPG.f72c8e47e2339b6da24d052a6fb951aa.JPG

It's funny that you bring this up, because I just noticed yesterday a new tiny house development (for rental) and rv park at the base of Mount Du Lac. Technically, it's in Wisconsin, but just 5mi down hwy 23 from the base of Spirit. I just looked at their website and they have also built some rental cabins on the hill.

I just heard Wild Mt is opening today.:eek: :smashfreaA tiny patch of man made snow.

• Sad 1

On 10/29/2019 at 12:18 PM, bigwavedave said:

Still working on it Bob. Really haven't had much time since I made the big move last spring. Sailing around Superior took up much of my summer. 

Lake Superior has been about ½ meter above average for the past 2 years. That big Nor'easter last week created a seiche that raised the water level at this end of the lake (including where I am on the St Loius River) about 2½ feet in a few hours .  I might need to get an anchor for the tiny house! The harbor in Duluth recorded it's highest water level in history.

IMG_3837.JPG.f72c8e47e2339b6da24d052a6fb951aa.JPG

It's funny that you bring this up, because I just noticed yesterday a new tiny house development (for rental) and rv park at the base of Mount Du Lac. Technically, it's in Wisconsin, but just 5mi down hwy 23 from the base of Spirit. I just looked at their website and they have also built some rental cabins on the hill.

I just heard Wild Mt is opening today.:eek: :smashfreaA tiny patch of man made snow.

yikes! are you currently staying in that unit? has the water gone down yet?

is Mount Du Lac worth checking out?

3 hours ago, bobble said:

yikes! are you currently staying in that unit? has the water gone down yet?

is Mount Du Lac worth checking out?

The water came up gradually over 6-8hrs as NE winds increased all morning. The wind peaked out in the early afternoon at 40-50mph with 70+mph gusts. Once the wind died off in late afternoon, all the water drained out in 2 hours to lower than normal. It's kind of like a big bath tub with the water sloshing back and forth. A Seiche.

I had the sauna fired up, so was fine, and made several trips out into the flood water to make sure nothing was floating away as the it kept rising. Hopefully this was a rare extreme event.  I have the option to move to higher ground here, otherwise I like being right on the water.