Note to New Members ×

Has anybody thought about tiny living?  As in living in a house that has less than 400sq/ft footprint, typically built on a trailer frame and rolls on wheels?

I've been interested in the concept for a few years, and I've gone from a 2 bed, 2.5 bath, 3 story 1500sq/ft townhouse with an attached two car garage in 2009 to an 824sq/ft, 2 bed 1 bath apartment with a detached single car garage. I've been packing up my stuff and I am amazed at the "junk" I've carried with me for my whole life.  Clothes, shoes, yearbooks, spare parts and gear, tchotchke that have no real importance.

So have you been downsizing? 

What are your criteria for keeping items? 

How much have you cut back? 

Do you feel any different?

Check these guys out, some pretty nice homes for under $100k...

http://wheelhaus.com/

• Like 1

Has anybody thought about tiny living?  As in living in a house that has less than 400sq/ft footprint, typically built on a trailer frame and rolls on wheels?

I've been interested in the concept for a few years, and I've gone from a 2 bed, 2.5 bath, 3 story 1500sq/ft townhouse with an attached two car garage in 2009 to an 824sq/ft, 2 bed 1 bath apartment with a detached single car garage. I've been packing up my stuff and I am amazed at the "junk" I've carried with me for my whole life.  Clothes, shoes, yearbooks, spare parts and gear, tchotchke that have no real importance.

So have you been downsizing? 

What are your criteria for keeping items? 

How much have you cut back? 

Do you feel any different?

Check these guys out, some pretty nice homes for under $100k...

http://wheelhaus.com/

wow big different, I may considering this is i am single. sound like a mobile home?

I can absolutely see doing this. Maybe not on wheels (I'd want hard connections to water and sewer, otherwise you might as well just buy a motorhome), but I bounce off the walls in an 1100sq ft upper. If I didn't have a roommate. my lower floor would be completely empty.

I follow a website that features a lot of these sorts of homes, and some of them are amazing - such smart uses of space. I'd have to have a loft bedroom in mine (that's my inner kid), but underneath that I could totally handle only a few hundred sqft.

I'm not a hoarder by nature, so I think I'd find it easy enough to downsize. When I spring clean at home, my rule of thumb is that if I haven't touched it for a year, I'm not going to, and out it goes.

My next house is for sure going to be smaller than the one I have now. Less to heat and cool, clean and maintain, fine by me.

Allee, I thought I wasn't a hoarder until I went into the back of the closet, through all the drawers, behind the hanging clothes, inside every cardboard box and took an inventory of EVERYTHING.  Why do I have 5 bed sheet sets?  One was unopened sitting waaaaay in the back.  Not an accusation, just a personal observation that blew my mind. 

I too use a similar rule:

• If I haven't used it in a year - donation. 
  • If I haven't used it in 6 months and don't anticipate using it in 6 months - donation

If I was to get a tiny home, a loft sleeping area is mandatory.  At some point it will get old and I'll be wishing for a downstairs area.  I don't think I could do the sub 200sq/ft dwelling full time, seems to cramped for my needs/wants.  I'm really interested in the 400sq/ft options, but that brings up mobility issues.  Ultimately I'd love to have the option to uproot and plop it down on some land in Colorado for a while, then maybe move it to Montana, etc.  A larger "home" makes this move more difficult.  And then there is the whole fulltime dwelling vs part time, local and state ordinances, etc.

Progressive cities like Boulder, CO and Portland, OR seem to be hip to the idea of tiny living.

Keep the responses coming, I'd like to read everyones opinion, it's a fascinating subject to me.

12 years ago my wife and I bought a "tiny home". It's a 1967 ex Greyhound Bus. It had a full conversion done including RV windows. It's 35' long and has all the amenities of home. We don't get to travel as much as we would like but we have put around 50K miles on it. The coolest aspect of living/traveling in the bus is... wherever we go we are home. With a little water conservation we can do without "hook-ups" for 2 weeks. It has a 12K watt diesel generator and some solar panels to keep the batteries up. I did have to build a 12' X 20' shed for those things I just can't live without, like my 25+ mono/alpine/skwal/ski quiver and a tune/work bench. It is also home to the GoldWing, dirt bike, and ATV.

We totally enjoy it.

Don

Feed the Addiction... :eplus2:

• Like 3

It is big in the Portland area.  I "recycled" an old camper trailer , dual axle, electric brakes.    Sold the metals for about 200$ , used the wood in my fire pit/ hot tub heater, cooking outdoor. I haven't decided what to do with the trailer.  Maybe a flat bed, maybe a massive 200 board carry box :)    I lived in a 696sqft home for most of my adult life.   Currently finishing up a substantial addition .  So , thinking about them but actually headed the other direction.   Collection of snowboards needs wall space : )   So many options,  most can add up fast money wise if you want even the basics.   I think a camper trailer makes sense for most people, not as much character but much less cost for a ready made home. Just saying.  Motorhomes can have heavy duty frames and motor drive trains.  CHEAP!!! for allot comfort if you can buy an older model. 

I've lived in 400sq ft before(non mobile), when I was single and could fit most everything I owned in a large car or pickup.

now that I'm old & married I can't even fit all my tools in 200sqft let alone all my toys. I guess I do have a hoarding problem :smashfrea

2 things I learned living minimalist off grid,

1 water,

2 somewhere for it to go,

a not to distant 3rd electricity.

modern solar power systems address #3 pretty well, roof collection systems barley address useable gray water and certainly not at 400sqft. for 2 people.

For a week or month or 2 sure if the rest of our gear is in storage somewhere.

Edited by b0ardski

This is the direction my wife and I are headed. BUT we will have a shop/art studio to house the things we wish to do, and also plan on having enclosable outdoor living spaces (to entertain) in that plan. Those items are what make the small living spaces doable. I am sitting here in a 3 bedroom 2 bath house right now alone-what on earth for??? 200 sq. ft. is too small for us, but add those other spaces (and paid off-no money issues hanging over our heads) then we could do family things, donate time/money to other causes, enrich other peoples lives, and do some snowboarding too! I could see myself working 9 months out of the year, or my wife doing art at home, or many other things that would make her-therefor me-happy.

I can put all my snowboard stuff in a surprisingly small space. Boards stack very well, and the rest of the stuff is small. Cars and karts take way too much space!

I like big houses. My daughter learned to ride her tricycle in our house in the winter - that was pretty cool. A couple friends live very minimalist lives; it appears to me that they just throw things out after they're done and then buy them again if needed. It seems very wasteful. I applaud their efforts to live simpler lives, but the compromises outweigh the benefits for me.

A couple friends live very minimalist lives; it appears to me that they just throw things out after they're done and then buy them again if needed. It seems very wasteful. I applaud their efforts to live simpler lives, but the compromises outweigh the benefits for me.

Corey, I see this allot in our younger folks.  Seems like they tend to look at things very short term.  Buy somewhat spontaneously and then dump it.  Oddly growing up, I heard about "Disposable Society" , but it seems like it much more pronounced now then 25 years ago?   A rather odd dichotomy , those that are SO earth conscience and careful vs those that are so seemly fast and loose with purchases.  I am sure this trend has been developing over many , many years.  Perhaps just the folks that we have crossed paths with? 

The trend to rent space in larger homes is building momentum with the advent of online short term rental companies.   I can see the benefits of both large and small.  

Small: 

Less cleaning

Less utilities

Less capital costs

Large:

Nice to hold family events

More wall space for oldsnowboards  :biggthump

For me, the goal of tiny living is mobility.  If I was going to live in one place for a long time, I would just buy or rent a conventional place.  If I had to live in an overcrowded urban area, one of those new-fangled tiny apartments could work for me since I have already pared down my belongings to a minimum. 

Over the years I have studied RV fulltiming extensively but have never done it.  If I was only interested in living in warm climates it would be much easier, but now that I am doing winter sports I don't think that I could live with the compromises that would be forced on me. 

Living in any tiny home on wheels comes with the same challenges that RVers have.  For the most part, you have to find an RV park to put it in because of the need for water, sewer, and electricity.  From my experience there have been few RV parks conveniently located to the ski towns that I have been to in recent years.  For now my solution is to own as little as possible and move from rented place to rented place.  My stuff fits easily into the smallest U-Haul truck and I can trailer my car behind it.  I just got through moving out of my place in Sun Valley and putting my stuff in a storage unit for the summer.  Right now all I have are the things that could fit into my small car. 

Coincidentally I have been reading a good book on getting rid of stuff.

Sorry, here's an NYT review that doesn't need a login.

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

• 2 weeks later...

Unless there's a significant chunk devoted to getting rid of stuff like spouses, offspring, in-laws, etc. I'll have to live (tinily) vicariously through nomad-heroes like ETF.

Yeah, my kids bikes and toys would fill my old 400 sq ft studio apartment.  Then there would be the issue that none of us would be able to sleep so close together.  Maybe when they are in college, by then I might not have a choice and will have to downsize to afford education for them and wine for us.

Updates on the camper frame.   Installing tongue and groove decking,  it is NOT a heavy duty frame.  I think it will end up being used as a material hauler / flatbed.  However , I also have considered building a four seasons  living quarters or a Mega Snowboard Box for event type use.   Oldsnowboards revival ,  vintage day , etc. 

Bryan 

post-158-0-14055100-1431708791_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-54379100-1431708815_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-29654600-1431708804_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-55561900-1431708828_thumb.jpg

Bryan, looks like you have a helper! Glad to see that he is making himself useful :)

Getting back on-topic in this off-topic thread, my wife and I looked very seriously at small -- not tiny -- living earlier this year. The trend in Portland now is to build an ADU (accessory dwelling unit) on your lot and rent out either the ADU or the house. There are some specific requirements in the building code on ADUs -- it can't be more than 800 square feet, the design has to be similar to the main house, etc. In turn, the city waives about $10k in permitting costs that would usually be assessed on new construction. 

Our idea was to build an ADU, move into it, and rent out the house. The house rental would cover the mortgage and the construction loan, freeing us up to work less and snowboard more. Sounds awesome, right?

Our challenge was that our lot is a typical close-in Portland lot, and the orientation of the house made it really hard to fit anything even close to 800 square feet without destroying the usability of the back yard. We worked with an architect and wound up with a design that came to about (if I recall correctly) maybe 550 square feet on two floors (a legal second floor, not just a sleeping loft). Once we had our design, we sat on it for a couple of weeks, and then agreed that it was just too small. The first floor had a really awesome mudroom/entryway, the bathroom, and stairs, leaving the kitchen/dining/living room at about 10 x 14, and it was just a little too clown-car-ish. 

We still like the idea of small living, but maybe not in this house. Of course, we could park a tiny house on our driveway...it would be much cheaper than building the ADU. Never say never. I have a coworker that seems to be motivated to work so she can buy bigger houses and luxury cars. That's just the opposite of my outlook: I want to have less, and work less to pay for it all. Maybe quit my job and follow Excelsior around the Western ski resorts ;-) Small living seemed like one way to get there, so we're still interested, just need to find another way to make it work for us. 

550 square feet is great for me, but that might be tight for two people. Living in a small space isn't very well compatible with owning lots of sports equipment. I don't even own a bicycle because I am concerned about the space it would take up. Even my recent switch to riding only skwals was somewhat motivated by their simplicity and small size.

One thing that helped me downsize was going paperless. I can wholeheartedly recommend the Fujitsu ScanSnap series of document scanners . It took some time but I was able to rid myself of a big four drawer file cabinet full of papers along with countless other documents. Once that was done, I borrowed a flatbed scanner and scanned all of my photographs, negatives, and slides.

I even scanned my high school and college diplomas. I was going to throw away the originals because they seemed so useless, but stopped just short of doing so.

When I moved to Europe I had to get accustomed to downsized - everything! No more family size, toilet paper packs of 4, one liter of anything was the largest size, not including the cars, concept of personal space, and of course apartments.

Just to give you an idea, 600-700 sq ft is a typical apartment in the ol' EU and considered normal for a family of four. A 1000 sq ft apartment is considered luxury.

It's kind of funny, while living in the US I wanted to emulate the compact and more minimal approach to life like Europeans, but now over here I'd love to have a big ass pickup truck, huge house and huge lawn with a tractor lawn mower, and a Costco a few blocks over...

750 sq. ft, two 'adults', two cats, two bikes (sometimes 4), skis of all types, numerous snowboards, requisite 'athletic' footwear, the boot shop and all it entails (grinders, dust collectors, ovens, presses, air compressor), carpentry tools, tools for the truck/ car/ skid-steer, and quite a few houseplants.

When everything is stowed in the proper place, it's not too bad. 

The rafters are well-employed.

Can become chaotic in a the blink of an eye. Gives new meaning to that phrase "Live in the outdoors".

• Like 1