Note to New Members ×

Removing liners from UPZ RC 8s

Duke

I have some new RC8s.  Am a bit unhappy with the lack of "instructions".  I want to take the liners out to guess on how to put the heel tooth and perhaps a pad or two in place.....but can't quite tell if I am supposed to remove the tongue from the shells first.....with the tool.  ??

No, you don't need to take the tongue off. Pull the liners out by pulling the tongue open sideways and pulling the rear of the liner forward and up. It helps to unlock the lean adjuster (but to put them back in, it helps to lock it upright). Sort of the same path your foot follows to get in. It gets easier as you learn the secret contortions.

It gets easier as you learn the secret contortions.

Thanks, and I do know I haven't learned those yet.  If anyone walks by while I am trying to take them off they would think that I am wrestling with an invisible opponent. :)  Almost as much energy spent doing that than a full day of riding :)

Thanks, both of you, for the tips.

If anyone walks by while I am trying to take them off they would think that I am wrestling with an invisible opponent. :) Almost as much energy spent doing that than a full day of riding :)

LOL! I know your pain! If it's really cold, I plan to let them warm up in the lodge for a while before even trying. If possible, I'll clip one foot at a time into a board to extract my foot. It makes it easy.

I find them quite easy to get in and out of. Especially if you follow teach's advice to fold the tongue all the way to the side.

When you remove the liners, pay attention to where the outer rubber sole of the liner is glued on. Sometimes it catches on the little sheet metal lug that fixes the forward lean mechanism in the shell. So take care not to pull too hard.

• 1 month later...

Hi Corey - i recently purchased a pair of UPZ RC10 boots to use on my TD3 step in bindings.  I kept hearing about the t-nut on the heel.  Do you know what that means and do I need to do any special adjustments on the bindings or boot?  

I thought I could just install the fin-tech heels on the UPZ boots and I am good to go.