Note to New Members ×

Turoa

SunSurfer

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just truncated a planned 2 week trip to Ruapehu. The weather is very warm for this time of year, and we have late spring conditions that would normally be seen in October at the beginning of September i.e. rain soaked slush. Of note also, Ruapehu Alpine Lifts (RAL) the skifield operator on both Turoa & Whakapapa sides have removed all the snow-making guns from the mountain, I'm told because they view it as a "waste of money". It looked odd to see a carpark full of snow guns when I visited Whakapapa on Saturday 3rd September. My suspicion is that it's been too warm for them to be used with any frequency.

I'm mulling over whether this will be the last year that I buy a Ruapehu season pass. This year they have had only about 5 weeks of reasonably cold temperatures which is too short for me to get value out of the pass.

• 4 years later...

RAL now seeking to change its business model and bring in investors to stay financially viable. Personal opinion, talking to all the Aucklanders down here in Central Otago because the snow and weather is so bad at Ruapehu, is that they are unlikely to find partners and Ruapehu Alpine Lifts will stop operating, and the first NZ major ski field to stop because of climate change is not far in the future at all.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/300378855/ruapehu-skifield-company-seeks-corporate-investors-to-stay-afloat