Note to New Members ×

Sun Peaks Feb

jng

6 hours ago, Allee said:

Have fun. There are miles and miles and miles of wonderful blue groomers there, go rip it up.

1 hour ago, BlueB said:

And then when you ripped all, try the Headwall 😁

I've got the blues bad, but that's why I came here.  It's actually what got me carving 25 yrs ago--so much fun, even on the gentle terrain where I live in the mid-west (which would bore one to death on skis).

The little bit of new snow from a couple of days ago (it hasn't snowed much here in the past month) was scoured off near the top by high winds following the snow. Spillway was a frozen barely penetrable cord and in flat light. @Neil Gendzwill, I wimped out! :eek: I skidded turns and side slipped down to the bailout. And Boris, I'm sure I won't be able to rip 'em all, so gonna have to skip that Head wall. 

The snow was softer and great carving was had lower on the mt from the Sundance and Sunburst express chairs. Very few people on the runs. I wonder why?  It started out at -20°F this morning and got all the way up to -5°F. Even the buses weren't running this morning. I could barely coax my car to start, what with engine oil being the consistency of peanut butter. At least most of the lifts were running and they didn't close the hill!

I still haven't set an edge on Mt Morrisey (maybe tomorrow). My legs tell me to stop long before I'm ready to stop exploring.

This extreme cold saps your energy and strength.

This is a great place for carving and I'd love to be here when they have some fresh snow. The temps and the firm groom are too similar to Minnesota!:smashfrea Off to Revelstoke tomorrow after riding!:1luvu:

The view at the top of Spillway (it's steeper than it looks), I can see for miles and miles and miles, all the way to the continental divide!...Is that Mt Robson?:ph34r:

P1030610.thumb.JPG.07ad8fc0562aa20ce7d36267166b7c87.JPG

Plenty of magnificent blues there. 

The top of the Head Wall is actually very steep (mught be close to 45°), that's where they do the speed competitions - runs out smooth to flat. I couldn't carve clean lines when the top was very hard packed. 

Sounds like you had good times. 

20 hours ago, Allee said:

Morrisey is my fave. See if they still have that T-bar with the 90deg right turn - that's fun for sure! And take a spin down Sticks for me - that run is a hoot.

16 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

The problem with Morrisey is that it faces north. It doesn’t get as much sun as the rest so when it is cold I would rather be elsewhere. 

Never made it over to Morrisey. I did take a long catwalk over to the base, but was so brutally cold, that I returned to the sunny side using the new Orient chair (which surprisingly is not an express lift--a missed opportunity). 

Next time, hopefully when it's warmer and there's more snow.:biggthump

• 3 weeks later...

@bigwavedave you would have enjoyed this week. Temps in upper teens, a little new snow at start of week so groomers were super grippy. Then a storm yesterday which filed in the moguls in the glades throughout the day. My last run on Bug Out was supposed to be just a trip back to condo but turned into the best of day blasting high speed bottomless powder turns. 

• Like 1