Note to New Members ×

Winterstick Wescott Pro Model

I must preface this post first that I haven't made any laps on plates on this board yet. I had the opportunity to ride one of Seth's sticks on Friday. It is the Pro Model 164. Check out the new Winterstick website for dimensions, etc. I rode with Salomon Malamutes, Burton Custom bindings at roughly 25 degree front and 5 degree back at roughly 20". Seth's preference is 26 front/6 back and 22". I found this board super fun, fast, carved extremely well and was able to do everything I asked. Had it in the pow on some untracked conditions which was super fun. The nose is floaty felt no tail fatigue and I was really impressed. My normal soft sticks are an Osin 167 Team that is relatively stiff and a Nitro Sabre 181 swallow for pow days. This Pro 64 really fits the bill as a one stick quiver. I will be getting on it again with plates to compare the experience. I also appreciated Seth's willingness to give up one of his toys. Hope to get turns in on the newly designed Winterstick Swallowtail as weather cooperates. Winterstick is building a facility at Sugarloaf so I'm sure there are more great things on the way. If you have the opportunity to get on one, do it.

Thanks for dropping this tidbit, which spurred a trip to their website. Nice to be able to finally make sense of all the Winterstick company permutations and get the sense they're on a stable path. Gotta love the "custodians of history" vibe. Plus the Tom Burt bio made for good reading. The Cordova Peak video link is a must see for anyone who loves to feel their bowels lurch. I swear, I don't know how he made it down with his obviously huge onions clanging around all over the place. Good luck to Winterstick, I only wish they made a wide 180+ board!

Edited by lordmetroland

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI, Where did you ride the SW164? What were the conditions? How playfull was it? What kind of turns does it prefer? Can it be ridden at low speeds? Looking for a board to ride the slough on the side of trails mostly at NH resorts.

I had a TB 172 for a while. It was the best board I've ridden but too much for me.

Cheers

The TB is BIG. That board surprised me...alot. The Seth Wescott 64 model was nimble, fast, had gas pedal, carved very well and I enjoyed it much more than the TB 172. I have not had a chance to ride it with plates yet and am trying to arrange another session with that or an ST. From the expalnation I was given, Seth's model was meant to be a one quiver board capable of many ask's. I thought it was fun as hell. I spend 60% of my time riding alpine, 20% in softies and 20% skiing.

• 1 month later...

I also spent the day Surfing the new Winterstick line.  Where else but Sugarloaf USA,  Seth's board is like nothing else I have ever ridden.  First of all BEAUTIFUL board, ultimate construction and craftsmanship are obvious.  When I first saw it I thought of another wide nosed powder pig.  NOPE, the only way I can describe it as a Race ready surfboard.  Right, that makes no sense.  It is wide, I also rode the 164, I am used to a big board but with 50mm setback it seems like it is all nose.  My first run I was a bit unsteady, after riding predominantly twins for the past however many years riding a directional board on groomers is a slightly different technique. Once I got my weight shifted back a bit and stopped drooling all over myself it got fun.  What I was shocked by is how fast it is.  I guess I should have known a Seth Pro model is going to be fast.  But this is a powder board right?  No it is not, well it is but it is more than a powder board.  Shift your weight back on the tail and it gets real surfy, lay it on edge and hold the hell on(Wide and fast, how did they do that?)!  I popped off some slush piles and got some mid life air with easy.  I had to grin when that big nose rose up into the air.  It really is a a miltipurpse weapon.  I was riding spring slush, it would cut thru crud like anything, surf the soft stuff, air, and edge all very well.  I did spin it around and did a few turns switch, it works.  I would not say it was happy to go backwards, 20mm taper and 50mm set back is not even close to twinish.  With that much setback the board felt big to me.  I am 6' 175lbs, and 46 years old.  I have been riding a 167 twin, centered, so I am used to a bigger board.  The 160 would prob. be a better fit for me, possible even the 156.  The only area it did not fit my style was edge to edge quickness.  Being wide and tapered it just is not quick.  It is just how I ride, I did not really get into the bumps with it.  In the afternoon I jumped on a ST59, now that made me smile for the rest of the day!  I loved the ST, this is not the old Severe Terrain, it is the NEW ST, Surf Turns, or as I say Smile Turns?  This board did everything I wanted it to do, if you love your board it will love you back!  I think the feeling were mutual.  Quick, switch, surfy fun, edge, fast, yep this is it.  Just enough taper and early rise that I am sure it would rip the POW.  There you go a Super fast Race Surfboard, or a all mountain ripper with a knack for the POW, both awesome boards with very unique personalities.  I also saw the Swallowtail in the shop WOW it is huge, first time I have ever seen one in person, so cool!  Thank you Dimitrije!