Note to New Members ×

Aspen conditions

Mike T

Hey Mike, it's been an unseasonably warm and dry January - but it's still all good. Buttermilk snow is in primo carving conditions, as is Highlands. The groomers on Snowmass and Ajax are still great too. Don't let the warm weather forecasts put you off - it's still great riding, and of course, you don't want to miss SES! :) Especially now that it's dropping back to every OTHER year! 

There is a little snow in the forecast over the next few days as well, so hopefully that will just top-off the scraped areas and the groomers will get it all ready for us SES'ers...:)

Agree with Adas. Rode Snowmass today after a decent sleep after arriving from NZ yesterday. (Anesthesia conference starts Sunday)

With the temperature here in Snowmass it reminds me of home (NZ). The lower slopes are a soft/slushy by the end of the day, and there will be a refreeze tonight so tomorrows groom may well initially be quite crispy! Under the top few cm of snow is hardpack, so bring your best edging technique. Bit thin in places with  a bit of grass and the odd rock showing through (Bull Run @ Elk Camp particularly). Light was flat today with high overcast, and a few tiny flakes of snow drifting out of the clouds on the uppermost part of the mountain. Not a bad first day, having eased out of condition muscles in the spa pool between the Pokolodi & Snowmass Inn. Forecast last night was for a moderate amount of snow for Colorado generally over the next 48 hours as a depression from the South bearing moist air and a cold front from the North meet.

Will post daily updates.

post-2036-0-04394400-1422671102_thumb.jp

Edited by SunSurfer

Nice!

Forecast looks good, we've had similar conditions in Utah, not much snow for awhile, but it's holding up well. Looks like a couple small storms and then not too hot. I  If it's a touch firmer it won't get chewed as fast as there always seems to be a whole bunch of carvers around leaving these big trenches everywhere.

Sunsurfer,  welcome back to the USA!!!!  

Great report , please keep them coming, your photos and reports will help those of us not going to get a feel for what all is going on at SES, and of course prepare those lucky enough to attend. 

Thank you!! Bryan 

Wireless internet at the Snowmass Inn has been down for about 36 hours but is now back. Sunday dawned cold with high cloud, clearing off mid morning to blue skies. Great riding on the groomed fresh few inches of snow from Saturday. By the end of the day the hardback/ ice showing through in a few patches but the day had remained cold and the snow was not slushy at all, not like the previous 2 days. I rode Aspen all day, saw J Callen waft past below me on Ruthies, reminding me of all I have to learn! Rode a lift with a local who had torn the metal edge off of one ski when he hit a rock in a deepish mogul well, he'd been home for another pair of skis when I spoke to him. But overall a great day, good light for the first time on this trip.

An article in The Denver Post on Saturday said that the snowpack in the Rockies was the lowest it had been (on this date) since 1986 (28 years)!

If you guys on the East Coast are tired of winter - help us both out - send some our way!

SES2015 won't be anything like SES2014. 

A "bad" day at Aspen is better than the vast majority of days I get back home.

Day @ Snowmass started cold with high cloud, and a few flakes of snow, but no significant fall. Cleared by mid morning but remained cool with the snow remaining in good condition throughout the day. I spotted what looked like tracks of another carver but never laid eyes on them.

Good carving to be had, but I needed to keep my eyes peeled for the thin patches and hard pack.

Getting a board waxed at a shop in the mall another customer said "Oh it's you! We were having fun watching you from the chair."

Lots of locals know about SES from previous years and I think I may have managed to convinced a couple of interested guys in their 20s to come and demo some stuff when it gets underway.

Tuesday,

Ran into Adas and we carved Wandering Jesse and Naked Lady. A few flakes of snow this am but no significant snow. Lots more brown patches appearing, and by late afternoon the run in area to the Village express chair was no longer ice but slush.

Adas' opinion - Buttermilk and Highlands are the places to go currently, fewer people and better snow. With the conference I'm attending here at Snowmass I have commitments to attend to here tomorrow, and I want to work on my NASTAR skills before SES starts.

Wow, the snow that fell yesterday did amazing things for ajax.  The groom was so good and grippy today, I had a blast.  Can't wait to see how it holds up over the next couple days.

Thursday: Clear skies and sunshine, temp topping out high 40's at Village Express Base, 42 at Sam's Knob, but snow holding up reasonably well.

Saw a couple of carvers from the chairs, but never caught up with them, or them me.

Rode Elk Camp, Alpine Springs, Sheer Bliss, and the Express today, finishing off with some steeps practice on Moonshine and Ute Shute. Coverage generally better than Tuesday, yesterday's little bit of snow has made a difference.

Kinda sad to be leaving a 70 inch settled base at Whitefish for half that in Aspen.  And temps in the 40s?  Just had some of that at the WTF; fun while it lasts, not so much when its over.  Oh well, half way there already.  If the hills turn to ice, there's always the hot tub.  Still looking forward to it. :)